Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 553 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
Rachel615
kamila

• Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

So we may get a best actress lineup where all the ladies are in a best picture contender:

TAR / EEAAO / The Woman King / The Fabelmans / TILL

Has that ever happen before?

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

AmnistY21
    Topics:

Deadwyler better pray Babylon is not that good. She’s fighting for that last spot.

kamila
    Topics:

So we may get a best actress lineup where all the ladies are in a best picture contender: TAR / EEAAO / The Woman King / The Fabelmans / TILL Has that ever happen before?

Till has a tough climb to a BP nomination, but the closest we’ve come in the last 20ish years is when McDormand won for Three Billboards? Everyone except Margot Robbie was in a Best Picture nominee and I, Tonya had to have been awfully close.

Rachel615
    Topics:

I’m counting on Deadwyler being the story of NYFF.

I definitely agree that Deadwyler will be the story of NYFF regarding the Best Actress race, but while these are very unpopular views right now, I think the two biggest stories of the NYFF will be (1) the reaction to Jeremy Pope’s performance in The Inspection, and (2) the critics’ views of She Said. (But I’m confident that Deadwyler and Till will be among the 3 biggest stories out of the NYFF.)

Rachel615
    Topics:

Perhaps of interest only to me but I’m beginning to think it’s very odd that it appears that Zoe Kazan isn’t doing much promotion for She Said. Here’s the lineup who will be attending the film’s London Film Festival Gala:

Headline Gala
    She Said
    Maria Schrader (Director)
    Carey Mulligan (Cast)
    Dede Gardner (Producer)
    Jeremy Kleiner (Producer)
    Megan Twohey
    Jodi Kantor
    Rebecca Lenkiewicz

And it was announced today that WIF (Women in Film) will honor the She Said “filmmaking team” of Gardner, Mulligan, Kantor and Twohey at their  10/27 2022 WIF Honors in Los Angeles.  Kazan, who lives in NYC, WILL participate with Schrader, Mulligan, Kantor and Twohey at the NYFF premiere and Q&A, but I would have thought Universal would spring for a plane ticket for her to participate in the London and LA events.  (Maybe she’s got a medical condition which limits her flying, such as being pregnant and in her third trimester?)

Mladen
    Topics:

Speaking of precursors…

CCA: Blanchett

I would say Deadwyler would be the one that may surprise there, but I can see Cate being lauded throughout regional critics’ associations culminating it in win at CCA. Simply, those reviews, with her character being named “female Daniel Plainview” are a whole new level of praise.

Globes

Drama: Blanchett/Davis Comedy: Yeoh

Here, I would bet on Blanchett and Yeoh as winners. HFPA nominated Cate even for Bernadette and she has that old Hollywood movie star style. I suppose many will think that they checked “diversity box” with Yeoh, when it comes to Best Actress race.

BAFTA: Blanchett

I don’t see anyone being a huge threat here. Cate lives/lived in UK, she has a long and loving relationship with BAFTA (7 noms, 3 wins). It would be tough for anyone to challenge her there, and if someone does, I would think Davis before Yeoh. Viola has won there, got nominated several times… Yeoh being nominated 20 years ago doesn’t speak much about love for her.

SAG: Davis with Blanchett/Yeoh coming close

I believe this one is Viola’s to lose. I feel it would mean more for Yeoh to win, than for Cate, as I feel BAFTA and CCA will be more inclined towards Cate. If Cate wins it, I would feel it is game over for the rest.

Oscars: Blanchett/Yeoh

If Blanchett gets pushed by CCA and BAFTA, she is a serious contender. In the last decade, Academy has given three third Oscars (Day Lewis, Streep and McDormand) so it is not out of realm of possibility. If Blanchett has a strong case (and if she manages to win SAG), I doubt anyone has a chance there.

Yeoh, on the other hand, can get pushed by Globes and SAG. Her undeniability would probably come from BAFTA, and if she wins there, she is in much better position. That said, if Yeoh wins both BAFTA and SAG, it is game over.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: Steven Spielberg
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Supporting Actress: Claire Foy/Jessie Buckley

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

There is a chance that Williams may not be nominated at all because of category confusion. Voters may feel she is supporting and vote as they feel, not as they must

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon

ejaru1810
    Topics:

SAG will be the one that’s gonna make or break Yeoh’s Oscar chances. If she beats SAG darling Viola Davis, she has a strong chance but as many said, BAFTA is Blanchett’s to lose. If she loses SAG, Yeoh is not happening unless she somehow wins BAFTA.

Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

I have a feeling Robbie will disrupt Williams.

Best Actress Prediction:

Blanchett/Davis/Deadwyler/Robbie/Yeoh

Jake
    Topics:

SAG will be the one that’s gonna make or break Yeoh’s Oscar chances. If she beats SAG darling Viola Davis, she has a strong chance but as many said, BAFTA is Blanchett’s to lose. If she loses SAG, Yeoh is not happening unless she somehow wins BAFTA.

Why is BAFTA Blanchett’s to lose?

veronikavoss
    Topics:

At Goldderby here I have Yeoh (18/1), Blanchett (33/1), Williams (25/1), Robbie (20/1) and Deadwyler (33/1). I like my odds and won’t be rocking the boat with those nom guesses anytime soon.

That said, if Ackie and her film can hit like Viola and TWK already did (and ofc assuming Deadwyler delivers on her advance buzz) then this category becomes even more of a bloodbath.

If Robbie goes Supporting I guess that makes it a little easier, and she could fill the void Williams seems to have left there, but I can still even see Williams coming out further in raw vote totals in Supporting at the end of the day vs. how she’ll rank with her lead competitors. But I don’t see either Robbie/Williams as win-competitive here, unless Margot gets all-time reviews (which, sorry, I don’t see happening).

Like most others I figure it’ll be Michelle Y vs. Cate, splitting the critics awards (maybe advantage Cate when it comes to the trifecta critics who matter most), Michelle at SAG, Cate at BAFTA. I do think both EEAAO and TÁR get into BP but I would think EEAAO is higher and more win-competitive, which could either benefit Yeoh or that just means there are more places to reward that film than there are for TÁR. But she also has a more compelling narrative on-paper than Cate has to win a third, even if she’s in a rare class of performers that most wouldn’t mind seeing win another.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Bassett
    Topics:

It’s not. After the chaotic mess BAFTA pulled last season, no one can be declared a lock there, especially not in September

She does look like the reasonable frontrunner there though

FYC

AOTY - Renaissance

Best Actress - Michelle Yeoh, Danielle Deadwyler

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Mostly because TAR feels like the kind of film they could support/like more than EEAAO (a film I’m not seeing doing so great there) . It’s just a guess tho.

JV
    Topics:

Tang Wei cleared the competition (I didn’t see everyone from the competition, but I already know it). Hope she wins at least one of the trifecta.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.