Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 552 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel615
kamila
jjjmoss

• wolfali
    Topics:

Blanchett will almost certainly get nominated at BAFTA but I think Yeoh could be formidable competition for her there if Everything Everywhere All at Once does well with the membership. She’s already a previous nominee there and whilst I don’t know whether I’d call her a household name, she’s quite known and fairly respected over here. BAFTA have yet to awarded a poc winner in best actress and with the Globes back as a telecast and SAG happening after BAFTA this year, I can see them just go for Yeoh if she ends up winning the comedy Globe.

That being said Blanchett’s performance does seem to command a lot of passion from those who have seen it so I can see her it steamrolling the season in which case the BAFTA would probably be “hers to lose” just like with Will Smith last year even if Everything Everywhere All at Once does better overall with the membership like The Power of the Dog did.

Either way though as Bassett rightly said above, no one is a lock to win anything in September.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

So we may get a best actress lineup where all the ladies are in a best picture contender:

TAR / EEAAO / The Woman King / The Fabelmans / TILL

Has that ever happen before?

Once, in 1977.

• Diane Keaton – Annie Hall (winner)
    • Anne Bancroft – The Turning Point
    • Jane Fonda – Julia
    • Shirley MacLaine – The Turning Point
    • Marsha Mason – The Goodbye Girl

All four films were nominated for BP, 5th BP nominee this year was Star Wars. The closet it’s happened since was 2017.

• Frances McDormand – Three Billboard (winner) (BP nominee)
    • Sally Hawkins – The Shape of Water (BP winner)
    • Margot Robbie – I Tonya (not nominated)
    • Saoirse Ronan – Lady Bird (BP nom)
    • Meryl Streep – The Post (BP nom)

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Tang Wei cleared the competition (I didn’t see everyone from the competition, but I already know it). Hope she wins at least one of the trifecta.

She’s amazing, I hope National Society of Film Critics give her a win.

Bassett
    Topics:

I don’t think anybody predicted Margot for that panned bomb. Babylon will be her ticket (if it succeeds)

FYC

AOTY - Renaissance

Angela Bassett, Michelle Yeoh, Brian Tyree Henry.

Bassett
    Topics:

The closet it’s happened since was 2017. • Frances McDormand – Three Billboard (winner) (BP nominee) • Sally Hawkins – The Shape of Water (BP winner) • Margot Robbie – I Tonya (not nominated) • Saoirse Ronan – Lady Bird (BP nom) • Meryl Streep – The Post (BP nom)

I know we often talk about how strong this lineup was but I don’t think we realize how lucky we were that year. Especially since last season none of the girls were in a BP nominee

FYC

AOTY - Renaissance

Angela Bassett, Michelle Yeoh, Brian Tyree Henry.

wolfali
    Topics:

All four films were nominated for BP, 5th BP nominee this year was Star Wars. The closet it’s happened since was 2017. • Frances McDormand – Three Billboard (winner) (BP nominee) • Sally Hawkins – The Shape of Water (BP winner) • Margot Robbie – I Tonya (not nominated) • Saoirse Ronan – Lady Bird (BP nom) • Meryl Streep – The Post (BP nom)

If we had 10 slots like we now do I, Tonya would also have probably made it into Best Picture in 2017.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Topics:

likeitsgolden
    Topics:

you know they love biopics. If pearl was a biopic and of a real woman,  she would’ve been in the race definitely. but since it’s made up they think it’s childish like the other horror movies

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Day wasn’t happening without SAG and BAFTA nods and Kirby was never seen as a big player that year.

Day was probably screwed because of screeners. That’s it. She won the Golden Globe and she was ahead of McDormand in the predictions center. She was definitely closer than you think.

And Kirby was seen as a big player considering she was one of only two, the other being McDormand, who made it in at every major televised show.

What kind of revisionist history is this?

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Banshees of Inisherin
    3. The Fabelmans
    4. Avatar: The Way of Water
    5. All Quiet on the Western Front
    6. The Batman
    7. TÁR
    8. Top Gun: Maverick
    9. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
    10. Women Talking

Topics:

Mladen
    Topics:

Jake422, I feel like you are answering your own remarks. All those comparisons fail when you go “but…”. Simply, psychological thriller is not the same as horror. But we have all been aware of genre bias when awarding bodies are in question. Things have been slowly changing for comedies and science fiction, but lion’s share of the nominated performances comes from drama. Is it fair? No. But, it is what it is.

Now, with regard to Blanchett… Just a general observation. Blanchett has been in the business for almost three decades, her first Oscar nomination was 24 years ago. She has earned the privilege of being watched by these awarding bodies. And honestly, she has never been unworthy when it comes to her nominations and wins (I will say that I would have never given her Oscar for “The Aviator”, but I understand the decision. I would wait until 2007 and “I am not There”). She is hardly the only one, as many have earned the same right – from Day-Lewis, Denzel, DiCaprio, Meryl, McDormand… This is not the exclusivity of actors, same is with directors, producers, writers etc.

Lastly, I understand that it may be frustrating that Blanchett, with her undeniable pedigree, has been again in conversation when we have so many POC actresses expecting overdue nomination/win. And yes, she is white. She certainly got it easier than any POC actress, but she has also deserved every award she got. And I even doubt that if it comes to her winning for “Tar” we would call it undeserving. Some would be sad and disappointed, but I doubt anyone would have a ground to stand on in criticizing Blanchett for doing a great work. Things are changing for the better. They are not happening overnight, but we are having more and more diverse lineups. And finally, as I admit to be bias towards Blanchett, I will be happy if she wins, but if she loses to Yeoh or Davis or even Deadwyler, I won’t be losing night’s sleep over it. Que sera, sera…

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Aint2Proud2Beg
    Topics:

Whats with all this Blanchett hoopla?? Blanchett is an outstanding actress but she is nothing out of the ordinary in the trailer. What we have is a very well cut trailer and hence the illusion that Blanchett’s performance might be some some tour de force.

Don’t get me wrong, she might be amazing but lets (at the every least) wait until the movie comes out. Of course she won the Volpi Cup, but so did Penelope Cruz, Vanessa Kirby or Charlotte Rampling.

I fail to understand why Viola Davis is still low on people’s prediction ranking? Here is an overdue Black woman who fresh off of a box-office hit and yet people are underestimating her. Viola is as overdue (if not more) than Blanchett. Add that with the pressing urgency for a second Black actress to win an Oscar and Viola becomes the obvious choice. This is the best chance for the Academy give the Oscar to a Black woman and i don’t think this time they will miss the chance.

For me, i hope Margot moves to supporting cuz it seems like there is no chance in hell she is going to win in the lead category.

Mladen
    Topics:

Whats with all this Blanchett hoopla?? Blanchett is an outstanding actress but she is nothing out of the ordinary in the trailer. What we have is a very well cut trailer and hence the illusion that Blanchett’s performance might be some some tour de force.

Don’t get me wrong, she might be amazing but lets (at the every least) wait until the movie comes out. Of course she won the Volpi Cup, but so did Penelope Cruz, Vanessa Kirby or Charlotte Rampling.

Well, the hoopla comes from winning Volpi Cup, from her movie having great reviews and people comparing her character with Daniel Plainview. There is not an epitet in the vocabulary that has not been used to describe her performance from those who have already seen it. So calling it ordinary seems like a poor attempt of downplaying the very clear and universal praise she has received. I understand, we all have our favorites.

That said, she may not win. Not a big deal, IMO. But it is getting tired to consider her possible victory as some “crime against humanity”.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 552 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.