Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 553 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
Rachel615
kamila

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

kamila
    Topics:

It will be hard to evaluate the BAFTA Actress lineup on its own since there’s a lot of unpredictability still baked into the voting system for acting categories. Chastain and the rest of the Oscar 5 completely missed there. Yet on the Actor side, they basically eliminated any lingering doubt on Smith by giving him the win. The pivot to top 3 may help but the jury system is always going to leave unknowns.

I think this is why the Best Film lineup at BAFTA will factor in for this race too. If TAR or Everything Everywhere can get in there, that would be a massive endorsement of their overall strength. This isn’t exactly a CODA situation where either will surge late because of visibility issues.

Choice Chayawat
    Topics:

Who’s delivering a gut wrenching 8 minute monologue baring their soul to the audience this season? Who’s actually doing it?

Rebecca Hall also did that in Resurrection and will very likely be overlooked again – story of her life. At least Mia Goth has some real Oscar buzz and there are critics ready to support her come award season. Whatever little buzz that Rebecca Hall might have had with that performance is probably gone now that Mia Goth enters the picture.

LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Queen Michelle Yeoh is coming.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Queen Michelle Yeoh is coming.

Say it miss ! We can’t and should not forget her name

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, I hope the nominations morning could announce the nominees names randomly (not alphabetically) for a shock value (just like the 2013 Oscar nominations (2012 films).

Amy ADAMS being last lol.

BigJay2012
    Topics:

Deadwyler looks like taraji p henson.

Which makes me wish taraji got this role.

Also taraji was SNUBBED for hidden figures.

But yah i feel like deadwyler can suprise

Taraji and John Singleton had planned to do a film about Emmett Till, coincidently before he passed. She would have slayed too.

And yes she was very much snubbed for Hidden Figures. She is such a great actress. I want her to get better roles.

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

It’s not. After the chaotic mess BAFTA pulled last season, no one can be declared a lock there, especially not in September She does look like the reasonable frontrunner there though

Yeah, people shouldn’t assume BAFTA will do anything. Everyone thought Benedict would take the BAFTA last year even though Will was the frontrunner and then they were shocked when Will got that too.

wolfali
    Topics:

Darling, I hope the nominations morning could announce the nominees names randomly (not alphabetically) for a shock value (just like the 2013 Oscar nominations (2012 films). Amy ADAMS being last lol.

Jacki Weaver’s expression in this still is sending me lmao.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Ash
    Topics:

I only think bafta matters if American voters or the acting branch doesn’t favor a specific performance. Jessica for EOTF was never winning bafta but she was still winning the Oscar with or without bafta. I agree bafta is good for predicting lead acting awards but not if the acting branch or American voters have there eyes set on someone.

Nameizmann
    Topics:

I only think bafta matters if American voters or the acting branch doesn’t favor a specific performance. Jessica for EOTF was never winning bafta but she was still winning the Oscar with or without bafta. I agree bafta is good for predicting lead acting awards but not if the acting branch or American voters have there eyes set on someone.

But Olivia Colman?

lorelei lor
    Topics:

It will be hard to evaluate the BAFTA Actress lineup on its own since there’s a lot of unpredictability still baked into the voting system for acting categories. Chastain and the rest of the Oscar 5 completely missed there. Yet on the Actor side, they basically eliminated any lingering doubt on Smith by giving him the win. The pivot to top 3 may help but the jury system is always going to leave unknowns. I think this is why the Best Film lineup at BAFTA will factor in for this race too. If TAR or Everything Everywhere can get in there, that would be a massive endorsement of their overall strength. This isn’t exactly a CODA situation where either will surge late because of visibility issues.

I think both these movies are getting into Best Film. Sure, Tar seems to be what they would normally favor but I can see them loving Everything Everywhere as well. It’s going to be such an interesting race.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I want her to get better roles.

I mean, she gets pretty good roles. After her Oscar nom it did take a little while for her to get another good, high-profile role in Cookie in Empire, but since then it seems like she’s been good. She had Hidden Figures while Empire was on, which is major considering she was on a network TV show that lasted for six seasons which makes it hard to film other stuff. And after Empire ended, the pandemic hit, which kinda paralyzed the industry. But once things started back up, she got the Oscar-nominated role of Shug Avery in next year’s The Color Purple. So I think you’ll be seeing much more of her. She just took an odd way of getting there.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Jacki Weaver’s expression in this still is sending me lmao.

Darling, even herself was surprised she got nominated for that abomination.

gorman
    Topics:

I think both these movies are getting into Best Film. Sure, Tar seems to be what they would normally favor but I can see them loving Everything Everywhere as well. It’s going to be such an interesting race.

Pending Babylon updates I think I’d agree with this. A 5 of Fabelmans, Women Talking, Banshees, EEAAO and TAR seems pretty feasible for BAFTA. I can’t see Top Gun having enough appeal over here to get in, although I think it will do well at the Oscars. Babylon is obviously the likeliest spoiler, after that I think you’re looking at British productions, where I would place Living as more likely than Empire of Light right now.

Avatar is possible if it’s a major hit, but those 6 right now are where I’d be looking. Increasingly I feel EEAAO will be okay – it’s vulnerable, more so than it is with American awards because I really didn’t get the sense it was anywhere near as much of a phenomenon over here, but I think within the industry it should fare pretty solidly. I would expect it to lose to Banshees in Original and possibly in Supporting Actor though.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.