Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 553 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Anna Delvey
Rachel615
kamila

• Luca Giliberti
    Topics:

Danielle Deadwyler is earning raves. Pretendstobeshocked.gif.

I know that I’ll watch to watch it eventually, but I now that Till is gonna devastate me emotionally (especially if Deadwyler is as amazing as everyone is saying she is). I don’t know if I’m prepared for it.

JV
    Topics:

Yeah, but the movie is too conventional and by the numbers apparently, so critics might not push her. I don’t think she’s well known enough to get in for a biopic like this that probably won’t be an across the board contender. If Robbie goes Supporting then a slot would open for sure.

Danielle Deadwyler is earning raves. Pretendstobeshocked.gif.

When everyone saw the Till trailer, they knew she was gonna be a threat. Like you said, no one is shocked by this at all.

Yeah, but the movie is too conventional and by the numbers apparently, so critics might not push her. I don’t think she’s well known enough to get in for a biopic like this that probably won’t be an across the board contender. If Robbie goes Supporting then a slot would open for sure.

If Cynthia Erivo got in for Harriet (a paint-by-numbers biopic in its own right), then Danielle Deadwyler should at least be a threat for Till. 

And yes, I know Erivo had Widows and Genius: Aretha in her arsenal by that point as well. My point still stands, though.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

and loving got into best actress too

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

mafro987
    Topics:

Is there an example of an unconventional or subversive biopic that has performed markedly better than conventional biopics with voters in recent years? The Larraín films for example were no more successful than the more conventional biopic fare. I don’t see it necessarily being a disadvantage when it comes to Deadwyler’s individual nomination chances. And by all accounts the movie is really well-directed.

FYC: Station Eleven in all categories

JV
    Topics:

Harriet was a box office hit, if I remember well.

Anyway, it’s just speculation since the race hasn’t started yet.

Rachel615
    Topics:

I’ll be able to weigh in on Danielle tomorrow! I can’t wait, and then Monday it’s Cate! I’m already preparing myself for Danielle to break me 😭

If you’re going to tomorrow’s 11:00 a.m. NYFF screening (which will have a Q&A with Danielle Deadwyler!), I’ll be there also.

I’m annoyed that I was closed out of Tar, but will be seeing Women Talking and She Said next weekend.

JV
    Topics:

I deleted my comment by mistake and don’t want to write that essay again 😒

Till could fall into a limbo where critics aren’t passionate about it (The Son is in that limbo) because it could be too conventional for them but too bleak for regular moviegoers. If it’s a Best Actress movie only, it could be difficult to overcome the competition against household names and people on strong BP contenders.

The metacritic score isn’t out yet so critics might like it just fine. I’m just basing in a small sample of tweets

jjjmoss
    Topics:

Harriet was a box office hit, if I remember well. Anyway, it’s just speculation since the race hasn’t started yet.

ish. $17 mil budget, $44 mil global box office.

Manav
    Topics:

Meloni in Italy, Orban in Hungary, Morawiekci in Poland and the two strongest of all- Bolsonaro in Brazil and Modi in India. The right wing is becoming powerful. Orban is not going away soon, neither is Morawiecki. Bolsonaro may lose this time but Modi is definitely winning again.

They are all democratically elected govts chosen by the people, so I don’t see the fuss.

ALSO Pls go to REDDIT for politics. This is for arts.

JV
    Topics:

ish. $17 mil budget, $44 mil global box office.

Maybe not a “hit”, but that’s a good box office run considering the backlash.

GoldenLibra
    Topics:

So I was reading this article about Danielle Deadwyler’s performance ⬇️

https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/danielle-deadwyler-till-best-actress-oscars-nyff-1235390276/

And the journalist stated they they’ve been trying to convince other pundits to watch the film but apparently they’ve been told by those pundits that they refuse to watch a film so gruesome. This is blatant racism!!! Nobody says this to white contenders in films with dark subject matter.

I really want Viola Davis to win this year, but now I will be rooting for Michelle Yoeh and Danielle too. A woman of color needs to be the winner! I’m so tired of seeing women of color get overlooked.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 553 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Actress (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.