Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 509 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
kbc
Go Yeoh!
  • Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Still haven’t made my mind up on its awards chances. It feels far removed from a standard awards player, even pretty far removed from some of the less conventional choices in recent years, but its passion does seem to be carrying and its commercial success is apparent.

</p>
    I think this line of reasoning only pushes the standard fare of Oscar bait films to get nominated. Aside from the critical acclaim and strong audience support, it’s already made it’s case by being A24’s highest grossing film domestically. The box office ought to strength EEAAO’s case in picture because there’s been films which receive critical acclaim and audience support like C’mon C’mon, but lacked the box office numbers to justify its case and increase buzz amongst voters.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> Aside from the critical acclaim and strong audience support, it’s already made it’s case by being A24’s highest grossing film domestically. The box office ought to strength EEAAO’s case in picture because there’s been films which receive critical acclaim and audience support like C’mon C’mon, but lacked the box office numbers to justify its case and increase buzz amongst voters.

I get that, kind of what I was saying anyway when talking about it’s commercial success, but being A24’s highest grosser did nothing to help previous title-holder Uncut Gems, which had a better release date, lots of passion and critical/ critic awards support. Not sure this is a huge selling point either, I don’t think voters really consider gross profit as a metric in their Oscar votes. Not to mention Uncut Gems probably suffered because it isn’t “a standard awards player” – I also hate terms like that but some films, particularly A24 ones, do suffer because they don’t appeal to a wide base of voters. EEAAO’s visibility and passion will carry it if it gets there, and I’m not denying it has both of those things in spades at the minute.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I get that, kind of what I was saying anyway when talking about it’s commercial success, but being A24’s highest grosser did nothing to help previous title-holder Uncut Gems, which had a better release date, lots of passion and critical/ critic awards support.

Uncut Gems lacked audience support though. 52% Rotten Tomatoes audience score and 7.4 on IMDB. Too low to overcome the “standard award player” mold. International crowds weren’t rallying behind the film either since I don’t recall it being released internationally. EEAAO has the benefit of being released in various regions outside of the US and has been a smash in the UK (3rd during the May 27-29 weekend, even surpassing Downtown Abbey), which is crucial for BAFTA support. Garfield, Pugh, and Ahmed have already expressed interest in the film, so I wouldn’t be surprised if EEAAO does well in BAFTA nominations.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Uncut Gems lacked audience support though. 52% Rotten Tomatoes audience score and 7.4 on IMDB. Too low to overcome the “standard award player” mold. International crowds weren’t rallying behind the film either since I don’t recall it being released internationally. EEAAO has the benefit of being released in various regions outside of the US and has been a smash in the UK (3rd during the May 27-29 weekend, even surpassing Downtown Abbey), which is crucial for BAFTA support. Garfield, Pugh, and Ahmed have already expressed interest in the film, so I wouldn’t be surprised if EEAAO does well in BAFTA nominations.

I thought that A24 screwed up the release strategy for Uncut Gems. FYI, it was released internationally on Netflix on January 31, 2020, one and two days respectively AFTER Oscar and BAFTA voting closed. It became the second most streamed film in the U.K., so there’s some reason to suspect that if it had been released earlier internationally, it might have garnered some BAFTA noms. See https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/uncut-gems-netflix-release-date-how-to-stream-us/amp

I’m NOT saying that EEAAO can’t or won’t become an Oscar player- I think it will be one; I’m suggesting that Uncut Gems might have become more of one if it had been distributed internationally in time for awards consideration.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m NOT saying that EEAAO can’t or won’t become an Oscar player- I think it will be one; I’m suggesting that Uncut Gems might have become more of one if it had been distributed internationally in time for awards consideration.

I agree with this. A24 botched the release strategy of Uncut Gems severely by not releasing it in theaters internationally. I can’t imagine why they didn’t.

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Yeah, to clarify I do basically agree with you – it has buzz and word of mouth, and is ultimately a pretty accessible and heart-warming film so won’t be too alienating. I got my Uncut Gems dates mixed up a little, too. Not sure I’d say EEAAO has been a smash-hit in the UK, but it’s done pretty well and I’ve heard a few people talking about it. Could do pretty well with BAFTA, especially in the acting categories, although right now speaking from the UK I can’t see it having the buzz it needs to get into Best Film, but I guess that’s where A24’s campaign will have to come in. Not convinced International crowds will really rally behind EEAAO, seems to be primarily a sensation in the US speaking as an outsider looking in. I think the release date is its biggest problem, if it can overcome that and still be in the conversation in five/ six months time, it’s going to do pretty well I think.

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

Profile picture
    pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Top Gun is easily one of the best blockbuster in recent years.

It’s doing so much money. Already over 540M. It has a chance of going over the Billion mark. And if people were high on NWH being nominated for BP… Top Gun is the type of blockbuster that should have a spot on the 10 nominees list.

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

Top Gun is easily one of the best blockbuster in recent years. It’s doing so much money. Already over 540M. It has a chance of going over the Billion mark. And if people were high on NWH being nominated for BP… Top Gun is the type of blockbuster that should have a spot on the 10 nominees list.

Top Gun is a good blockbuster, not a good film overall. It’s being overestimated by Gaga stans and it’s just not getting nominated. It’ll be forgotten when bigger blockbusters like Avatar 2 get released.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/06/oscars-movies-to-know-2023-1234717658/

Actually 39. IndieWire repeated Armageddon Time. And EEAAO is out of the running?!

1 Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood

2 Armageddon Time

3 Avatar: The Way of Water

4 Babylon

5 The Banshees of Inisherin

6 Bardo (or False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths)

7 The Batman

8 Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

9 Blonde

10 Broker

11 Chevalier

12 Close

13 Corsage

14 Elvis

15 The Fabelmans

16 Fire of Love

17 Good Luck to You, Leo Grande

18 I Wanna Dance With Somebody

19 Killers of the Flower Moon

20 Lightyear

21 The Menu

22 Moonage Daydream

23 Nope

24 The Northman

25 One Fine Morning

26 Pinocchio

27 She Said

28 Showing Up

29 The Son

30 Stars at Noon

31 Strange World

32 Tár

33 Three Thousand Years of Longing

34 Till

35 Triangle of Sadness

36 Turning Red

37 The Way of the Wind

38 White Noise

39 The Woman King

FYC
    Best Picture: "Showing Up" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Kelly Reichardt; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Michelle Williams; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Hong Chau, Heather Lawless, Amanda Plummer; Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Judd Hirsch, Andre Benjamin, John Magaro; Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Kelly Reichardt, Jonathan Raymond
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/06/oscars-movies-to-know-2023-1234717658/ Actually 39. IndieWire repeated Armageddon Time. And EEAAO is out of the running?! 1 Apollo 10 1/2: A Space Age Childhood 2 Armageddon Time 3 Avatar: The Way of Water 4 Babylon 5 The Banshees of Inisherin 6 Bardo (or False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths) 7 The Batman 8 Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 9 Blonde 10 Broker 11 Chevalier 12 Close 13 Corsage 14 Elvis 15 The Fabelmans 16 Fire of Love 17 Good Luck to You, Leo Grande 18 I Wanna Dance With Somebody 19 Killers of the Flower Moon 20 Lightyear 21 The Menu 22 Moonage Daydream 23 Nope 24 The Northman 25 One Fine Morning 26 Pinocchio 27 She Said 28 Showing Up 29 The Son 30 Stars at Noon 31 Strange World 32 Tár 33 Three Thousand Years of Longing 34 Till 35 Triangle of Sadness 36 Turning Red 37 The Way of the Wind 38 White Noise 39 The Woman King

Idk, feels like an engineered campaign to dismiss EEAO from someone within IndieWire. And its very absurd when other A24 movie like Stars at Noon actually faltered hard at Cannes while EEAO didnt even make the mix.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

No “Women Talking” included on that Indiewire list???

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Awards journalists are just getting worse and worse at prognosticating, which really isn’t hard to do. EEAAO should easily be top 5, if for nothing else except the fact that it’s already out and people are passionate about it. Some of the things that are on that list instead I have immense doubts are even close to being ahead of EEAAO.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Awards journalists are just getting worse and worse at prognosticating, which really isn’t hard to do. EEAAO should easily be top 5, if for nothing else except the fact that it’s already out and people are passionate about it. Some of the things that are on that list instead I have immense doubts are even close to being ahead of EEAAO.

Didn’t you know Three Thousand Years of Longing with a 62% Rotten Tomatoes score and a tepid audience response at Cannes has a higher chance than EEAAO at getting in Picture?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.