Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 509 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
kbc
Go Yeoh!
  • Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

I could be mistaken but isn’t Killers of the Flower Moon all but confirmed for this year? I know Scorsese and Schoonmaker are still working on it but considering we have knowledge that DiCaprio is going lead and Plemmons is going supporting it seems that we have to assume it’s releasing this year.

The caveats around it releasing this year come from some reports it was being considered to hold it until next year. I think those came originally from Ruimy so…somewhat dubious as a source. But now he just ran something a day or so ago that now it’s aiming for a December release. I think we should get it this year.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

There is probably a valid concern that KOTFM could get the Silence treatment (haha) if it does come out too late, but it could be saved by its star power as long as it’s not seen as a huge chore like Silence was.

Profile picture
    Whirlwind
    Topics:

More and more I can see EEAAO pulling in what Moonlight did: Wins in Picture, Supporting Actor, and Screenplay and noms in Director, a few techs, and the main female role (Yeoh/Harris,also assuming Yeoh doesn’t win though she absolutely can imo)

Funnily enough, Moonlight was also a hugely acclaimed underdog against a masturbatory Damien Chazelle love-letter to Hollywood that people deemed an instant frontrunner.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Top Gun: Maverick

8.6 on IMDB
    A+ on Cinemascore
    1 billion at the box office (first 2022 movie to do so and we had Doctor Strange, The Batman and Jurassic World)
    Acclaimed by critics
    Paramount

It’s getting Sound, Editing, VFX and Original Song.

Sorry, but that’s a Best Picture nominee.

Top Gun, Elvis and Everything Everywhere All At Once are all getting in.

By the way, I don’t understand how people say EEAAO is getting in due to box office and audience acclaim, but the same doesn’t apply to Maverick ? Both are unusual movies when it comes to the Oscars and both movies have a similar critical score on Metacritic.

The Greatest Run Beer Ever, which is a Vietnam movie directed by an Oscar winner, may be Apple’s priority if Killers of the Flower Moon isn’t ready. The movie is basic oscarbait at its finest. If it will get in or not, I don’t know.

Babylon
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Empire of Light
    The Fabelmans
    Elvis
    Next Goal Wins
    Rustin
    Women Talking

Profile picture
    ScottK
    Topics:

8.6 on IMDB
    A+ on Cinemascore
    1 billion at the box office (first 2022 movie to do so and we had Doctor Strange, The Batman and Jurassic World)
    Acclaimed by critics
    Paramount

It’s getting Sound, Editing, VFX and Original Song.

Sorry, but that’s a Best Picture nominee.

Top Gun, Elvis and Everything Everywhere All At Once are all getting in.

By the way, I don’t understand how people say EEAAO is getting in due to box office and audience acclaim, but the same doesn’t apply to Maverick ? Both are unusual movies when it comes to the Oscars and both movies have a similar critical score on Metacritic.

The Greatest Run Beer Ever, which is a Vietnam movie directed by an Oscar winner, may be Apple’s priority if Killers of the Flower Moon isn’t ready. The movie is basic oscarbait at its finest. If it will get in or not, I don’t know.

Babylon
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Empire of Light
    The Fabelmans
    Elvis
    Next Goal Wins
    Rustin
    Women Talking

Elvis probably isn’t imo. Sure it’s successful but I do not see a world where Butler wins best actor and he could miss like Taron did for Rocketman.
    Warner Bros will likely be pushing it but don’t see it getting more than 3 noms.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

After watching EEAAO, it’s stronger chances are pulling off a Spotlight and win Screenplay and Picture.

The strongest aspects of the film are Acting, Directing and Screenplay. Right now, I believe Yeoh and Ke Quan are really strong for a nom. While Hsu depends on what contenders we’ll get along the year (she’ll be a deserving nominee).

Screenplay is probably the one I truly believe it’ll win. It can’t get more Original than that, its a terrific Screenplay and this is where I believe the film will get the recognition it deserves.

Editing was exquisite and it’d better me nominated and hopefully win as well.

Yeoh was great but I don’t think she’ll pull it off, the nomination will be her reward. I don’t think this is a film you get acting awards for, let’s see if I’m wrong.

Directing will be deserved but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Directing Branch goes for more “Traditional” choices.

As of now, I think the film will get:
    -Picture
    -Actress (Yeoh)
    -Supporting Actor (Ke Quan)
    -Original Screenplay
    -Editing.

Maybe:
    -Directing
    -Supporting Actress (Hsu)
    -Original Song

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It’s getting Sound, Editing, VFX and Original Song. Sorry, but that’s a Best Picture nominee.

I don’t disagree with the notion that Top Gun can get into Best Picture but there have been plenty of films with similar combinations of nominations that have missed Best Picture lol.

Profile picture
    ScottK
    Topics:

I feel pretty good predicting Top Gun Maverick to be this year’s Force Awakens/Baby Driver/No Time To Die

Gets a number of tech nominations potentially including the important one of Film Editing which lives or dies at PGA for a BP nom.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I feel pretty good predicting Top Gun Maverick to be this year’s Force Awakens/Baby Driver/No Time To Die

Gets a number of tech nominations potentially including the important one of Film Editing which lives or dies at PGA for a BP nom.

You’re forgetting that there’s 10 nominees, and Maverick is way bigger than Baby Driver and No Time to Die.

Profile picture
    kat_ebbs
    Topics:

You’re forgetting that there’s 10 nominees, and Maverick is way bigger than Baby Driver and No Time to Die.

I think The Force Awakens is the closest comparison

Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Thirteen Lives trailer is out. I think it looks…really good, actually? A return to form for Howard?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Thirteen Lives trailer is out. I think it looks…really good, actually? A return to form for Howard?

Viggo Mortensen’s accent…

Profile picture
    SnowVillage
    Topics:

I think it looks kinda cheap. Idk if thats prime video logo or the tint but it has that direct to streaming feel and look. Its worrisome combined with the fact Amazon  moved it up to August.

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

Yes queen! Maneuver those Academy votes

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

The EEAAO doomdicting continues to flop.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.