Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel615
Bonehead
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    ScottK
    Topics:

No one said White Noise was undeniable in Picture. It was a wise move to skip Telluride. The film wouldn’t play well there.

Considering Baumbach has a good relationship with telluride I disagree.

Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

I don’t see anything wrong with Netflix learning from last year and making sure one of their big (risky) priorities isn’t put in a position to underwhelm.

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I’ve seen a lot of comments saying that WB only has Elvis now that Don’t Worry Darling seems like a dud but… The Batman could come back.
    A surprise adapted screenplay nomination here or a surprise picture nomination there and it could get back in the race. It was such a technically impressive movie, I don’t understand why anyone is counting it out so soon.

Not to say it’s on the same level, it’s simply the best comparison I could come up with, but Fury Road came out early and was being underestimated even until the globes, and then it broke out. I would not be surprised at all if that happened with The Batman.

The movie was acclaimed and a box office juggernaut and the Academy has proven how much it loves that superhero…

Grammys FYC:

"Glimpse of Us" - Joji

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Not to say it’s on the same level, it’s simply the best comparison I could come up with, but Fury Road came out early and was being underestimated even until the globes, and then it broke out. I would not be surprised at all if that happened with The Batman.

Mad Max : Fury Road was one of the most acclaimed movies of the century though. The Batman… is not.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Mad Max : Fury Road was one of the most acclaimed movies of the century though. The Batman… is not.

well that’s why I said “not to say it’s on the same level” and “it’s simply the best comparison I could come up with.” The point still stands. While Mad Max: Fury Road got a Director nom and was top four, The Batman could very well be the 9th or 10th nominee.

Grammys FYC:

"Glimpse of Us" - Joji

Profile picture
    Bonehead
    Topics:

The Batman could very well be the 9th or 10th nominee.

If you want to predict The Batman for Best Picture, by all means, go right ahead.

Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:

if anything Maverick would be more comparable to Mad Max than The Batman…. that movie stands no chance of sneaking into the Top 10, on top of TG, we already have Avatar & BP being the mainstream picks

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

if anything Maverick would be more comparable to Mad Max than The Batman…. that movie stands no chance of sneaking into the Top 10, on top of TG, we already have Avatar & BP being the mainstream picks

1. Maverick would not be comparable at all because it has had confidence in it almost from the outset.

2. The Batman has more than “no chance” of sneaking into the top ten, come on. It’s both acclaimed and popular, and will probably be nominated for something BTL, so that’s just obtuse.

3. Avatar and Black Panther could both underwhelm, but even if they don’t, that doesn’t mean The Batman can’t also get in. More than three blockbusters can get into a Best Picture lineup. 7/9 of the nominees in 2012 had crossed the $100 million mark.

all of this is to say, I’m not predicting it, but it needs to be considered alongside Elvis (which I’m also not predicting)

Grammys FYC:

"Glimpse of Us" - Joji

Profile picture
    ScottK
    Topics:

1. Maverick would not be comparable at all because it has had confidence in it almost from the outset.

2. The Batman has more than “no chance” of sneaking into the top ten, come on. It’s both acclaimed and popular, and will probably be nominated for something BTL, so that’s just obtuse.

3. Avatar and Black Panther could both underwhelm, but even if they don’t, that doesn’t mean The Batman can’t also get in. More than three blockbusters can get into a Best Picture lineup. 7/9 of the nominees in 2012 had crossed the $100 million mark.

all of this is to say, I’m not predicting it, but it needs to be considered alongside Elvis (which I’m also not predicting)

Unpopular opinion but there is still a world where The Batman gets 0 nominations. Not predicting it but I really am not buying this movie to be anything outside of a tech player.

Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:

1. Maverick would not be comparable at all because it has had confidence in it almost from the outset. 2. The Batman has more than “no chance” of sneaking into the top ten, come on. It’s both acclaimed and popular, and will probably be nominated for something BTL, so that’s just obtuse. 3. Avatar and Black Panther could both underwhelm, but even if they don’t, that doesn’t mean The Batman can’t also get in. More than three blockbusters can get into a Best Picture lineup. 7/9 of the nominees in 2012 had crossed the $100 million mark. all of this is to say, I’m not predicting it, but it needs to be considered alongside Elvis (which I’m also not predicting)

no it doesn’t, 99% of the Academy wouldn’t even dare put The Batman on their ballots. “Acclaim and popularity” can only go so far especially for a superhero movie, might I remind people what happened w Endgame & NWH. And no, they’re not different, at the end of the day it’ll still be viewed as a superhero flick.

Putting Batman in the same league as Maverick is an insult to say the least. Again Avatar & BP would be the next populist picks after TG, I doubt the Academy is going to have a majority blockbuster’s lineup and tho it has happened in the past, The Batman wouldn’t even nudge past the ballots should it come to this case

Profile picture
    Jake422
    Topics:

I can’t bring myself to put Top Gun Maverick in BP! I see the box office smash. I get it and it’s definitely a fun movie, but what would it honestly score outside of Sound, Song, and Visual Effects? This doesn’t even feel like the tech masterpiece Dune was. It has amazing sound design and amazing visual effects.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

I can’t bring myself to put Top Gun Maverick in BP! I see the box office smash. I get it and it’s definitely a fun movie, but what would it honestly score outside of Sound, Song, and Visual Effects? This doesn’t even feel like the tech masterpiece Dune was. It has amazing sound design and amazing visual effects.

Editing nomination likely for one.

My Favourite Albums

Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest

Vespertine - Bjork

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion but there is still a world where The Batman gets 0 nominations. Not predicting it but I really am not buying this movie to be anything outside of a tech player.

It’s still three max on its best day and it missing all three wouldn’t surprise me.

Cinematography
    Makeup and Hairstyling
    VFX

Profile picture
    OneAndOnly
    Topics:

As someone who thought the film was just fine, it’s probably no worse than 12~ in the Picture race. It’s getting noms in Song, Sound, VFX, and Editing (potentially cinematography). It’s an incredibly successful film that everyone in the industry seems to adore. The film’s biggest opposition will be the potential for BP nods from Wakanda Forever and Avatar. If both of those films are massive critical and financial hits, I think Maverick probably misses out.

Have a great day if you see this!

FYC: EEAAO, Severance, Bad Sisters, Avatar: The Way of Water

Profile picture
    film123
    Topics:

Hold on. There’s Top Gun stans on this site? I have to laugh.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.