Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 501 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel615
Bonehead
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I can’t bring myself to put Top Gun Maverick in BP! I see the box office smash. I get it and it’s definitely a fun movie, but what would it honestly score outside of Sound, Song, and Visual Effects? This doesn’t even feel like the tech masterpiece Dune was. It has amazing sound design and amazing visual effects.

It’s definitely getting Editing (probably winning the combo Sound + Editing), and let’s forget the Cinematographer is legendary Claudio Miranda so it will get that too. It’s 10 nominees.

The movie made more than Titanic in the domestic box office. That’s what we’re talking about it. It has amazing audience scores. And it’s industry’s opportunity to recognize one of the few movie stars over there, even if he’s not getting an individual nominations. If people want to be delusional and deny it until the end, so be it.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

It’s definitely getting Editing (probably winning the combo Sound + Editing), and let’s forget the Cinematographer is legendary Claudio Miranda so it will get that too. It’s 10 nominees. The movie made more than Titanic in the domestic box office. That’s what we’re talking about it. It has amazing audience scores. And it’s industry’s opportunity to recognize one of the few movie stars over there, even if he’s not getting an individual nominations. If people want to be delusional and deny it until the end, so be it.

Also, let’s not act like three technical nominations in combination with a bunch of good will weren’t enough to pull Nightmare Alley over the line earlier this year. Top Gun is pretty safe right now.

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    Go Yeoh!
    Topics:

Among Avatar and Top Gun – I can very easily see Avatar missing Best Picture but not Top Gun.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

New York Film Festival line up is out. I think She said was rumored to premiere there but it isn’t  selected/included. At this point, unless it goes to Telluride or its a random AFI fest selection, it seems it won’t have a festival run.

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

no it doesn’t, 99% of the Academy wouldn’t even dare put The Batman on their ballots. “Acclaim and popularity” can only go so far especially for a superhero movie, might I remind people what happened w Endgame & NWH. And no, they’re not different, at the end of the day it’ll still be viewed as a superhero flick. Putting Batman in the same league as Maverick is an insult to say the least. Again Avatar & BP would be the next populist picks after TG, I doubt the Academy is going to have a majority blockbuster’s lineup and tho it has happened in the past, The Batman wouldn’t even nudge past the ballots should it come to this case

God I really didn’t wanna continue on this topic because I’m not even passionate about The Batman’s chances but, again, come on! 99% of the Academy not daring to put it on their ballots is just wrong. Over 50% wouldn’t bat an eye at putting it on their ballot. Why? Because it IS different than Endgame and NWH. You can deny it all you want, but that is fact! It’s darker, it’s not part of an established universe, it’s about Batman (which, yes, does matter, considering the Academy has given multiple acting wins to performances related to Batman), it’s a noir. It is more than a superhero flick, as opposed to Endgame and NWH which are entirely superhero. And I haven’t seen Maverick yet, but I doubt comparing them is an insult to it; The Batman is a terrific movie. As for Avatar and Black Panther, you cannot be sure they are over The Batman when they haven’t even come out yet. And you can doubt the Academy will have a majority blockbuster lineup but it is a statistical inevitability that it will eventually happen again, so there’s no reason it couldn’t be this year. And if that did happen this year, yes, The Batman would be included.

Grammys FYC:

"Glimpse of Us" - Joji

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Among Avatar and Top Gun – I can very easily see Avatar missing Best Picture but not Top Gun.

We haven’t even seen a second trailer for Avatar…

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Park Chan-wook is someone we should keep an eye for now, at least for a nomination. He won Best Director at Cannes, Decision To Leave is going to TIFF and NYFF and critics will probably help the movie in this season, especially the trifecta (NYFCC, LAFCA and NSFC).

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Very strange that She Said is skipping on festivals with the amount of pedigree involved in the film and not being included in the NYFF lineup in spite of the film’s ties to NYT journalists. I’m losing confidence in the film and I dare say the buzz of the film is waning rapidly.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Very strange that She Said is skipping on festivals with the amount of pedigree involved in the film and not being included in the NYFF lineup in spite of the film’s ties to NYT journalists. I’m losing confidence in the film and I dare say the buzz of the film is waning rapidly.

❗️She Said will almost certainly be included in the NYFF’s Spotlight section, which hasn’t been announced yet. From today’s NYFF press release: “Currents, Revivals, Spotlight, and Talks sections will be announced in the coming weeks.”

From the NYFF FAQs:
    “NYFF60 is comprised of five sections:

Main Slate is the heart and historic core of the program.

Currents complements the Main Slate, tracing a more complete picture of contemporary cinema with an emphasis on new and innovative forms and voices.

Spotlight is NYFF’s showcase of the season’s most anticipated and significant films.

Revivals showcases important works from renowned filmmakers that have been digitally remastered, restored, and preserved with the assistance of generous partners.

Talks features in-depth conversations with filmmakers, critics, curators, and more.”

Today’s announcement was of the “Main Slate.” I strongly believe that She Said will be a Spotlight film and that the lead cast and the journalists they portray will be featured in a Talks presentation.

(As a longtime NYFF attendee and Film at Lincoln Center member, I was expecting that She Said wouldn’t be announced as part of the Main Slate, and would instead be one of the festival’s Spotlight films. Spotlight films are often announced after the Main Slate, which is why I responded to someone’s earlier question that the festival’s “full slate” wouldn’t be disclosed until “the end of August.”)

FYI. Last year’s Spotlight films at the NYFF included Dune, The Lost Daughter, and C’mon, C’mon.

Profile picture
    Cordelia
    Topics:

Couple that with the trailer being eh and… don’t have much confidence. It’s giving Suffragette not Spotlight.

My Favourite Albums

Oil Of Every Pearl's Un-Insides - SOPHIE

Hounds of Love - Kate Bush

Since I Left You - The Avalanches

Twin Fantasy - Car Seat Headrest

Vespertine - Bjork

Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

It’s definitely getting Editing (probably winning the combo Sound + Editing), and let’s forget the Cinematographer is legendary Claudio Miranda so it will get that too. It’s 10 nominees.

The movie made more than Titanic in the domestic box office. That’s what we’re talking about it. It has amazing audience scores. And it’s industry’s opportunity to recognize one of the few movie stars over there, even if he’s not getting an individual nominations. If people want to be delusional and deny it until the end, so be it.

It has grossed more than Titanic but at this point so have 6 other movies (these charts don’t adjust for inflation by the way) and out of those 6 only 2 of them got Best Picture nominations; Black Panther and Avatar. Avatar is the only one of these films to be a completely original concept. Black Panther, the only other movie on the list that translated its BO success to Oscar success, was able to surpass its reputation as part of the Marvel universe to become the chief example people provide of a Marvel movie that can stand on its own. Even the “saving movies from the pandemic” argument doesn’t totally work when No Way Home made even MORE money just last year and didn’t get anywhere NEAR best picture.

Will Top Gun be able to surpass its reputation as an IP sequel? Mayyyyyybe, but that doesn’t seem to be the talk around Top Gun, to me at least. The conversation isn’t: wow they were really able to do something new and interesting within a pre-existing franchise! It’s been more: wow they made a movie as fun as the original! If they can get a campaign going that Top Gun brings something new to the conversation, then great, but otherwise I don’t really see oscar voters seeing it as anything more than a very successful sequel to a movie they already didn’t nominate the first time.

Profile picture
    xohours
    Topics:

God I really didn’t wanna continue on this topic because I’m not even passionate about The Batman’s chances but, again, come on! 99% of the Academy not daring to put it on their ballots is just wrong. Over 50% wouldn’t bat an eye at putting it on their ballot. Why? Because it IS different than Endgame and NWH. You can deny it all you want, but that is fact! It’s darker, it’s not part of an established universe, it’s about Batman (which, yes, does matter, considering the Academy has given multiple acting wins to performances related to Batman), it’s a noir. It is more than a superhero flick, as opposed to Endgame and NWH which are entirely superhero. And I haven’t seen Maverick yet, but I doubt comparing them is an insult to it; The Batman is a terrific movie. As for Avatar and Black Panther, you cannot be sure they are over The Batman when they haven’t even come out yet. And you can doubt the Academy will have a majority blockbuster lineup but it is a statistical inevitability that it will eventually happen again, so there’s no reason it couldn’t be this year. And if that did happen this year, yes, The Batman would be included.

not denying anything when its a simple fact. The Academy will still view The Batman as another superhero flick despite its so called “raves” and mediocre commercial success. at the end of the day like others have mentioned the only categories it’ll possibly touch are tech fields and even that’s cutting it. even if this year should be the year we get majority blockbusters, we already have Maverick & EEAOO and presumably Avatar & BP. and again, no The Batman will not even be touching near the ballot slot.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

not denying anything when its a simple fact. The Academy will still view The Batman as another superhero flick despite its so called “raves” and mediocre commercial success. at the end of the day like others have mentioned the only categories it’ll possibly touch are tech fields and even that’s cutting it. even if this year should be the year we get majority blockbusters, we already have Maverick & EEAOO and presumably Avatar & BP. and again, no The Batman will not even be touching near the ballot slot.

I’m still confused, was The Batman a box office success or a failure?

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I’m still confused, was The Batman a box office success or a failure?

The Batman grossed over $770 million at the box office. By any reasonable standard, it was a box office success. (“The Batman” cost an estimated $200 million to make, not counting the many millions spent on marketing.)

Profile picture
    Bonehead
    Topics:

If they can get a campaign going that Top Gun brings something new to the conversation, then great, but otherwise I don’t really see oscar voters seeing it as anything more than a very successful sequel to a movie they already didn’t nominate the first time.

Who’s to say that Top Gun wouldn’t have made it an expanded lineup back in ’87?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.