Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel615
Bonehead
crabbie

• ScottK
    Topics:

Even tough I initially stated that EEAAO would likely not stand a chance at winning BP,
    If the buzz truly sustains and the other BP contenders turn out to be too Oscar baity to have any organic passion, there is a *world* where it does win(thinking picture, either Director or screenplay, and actress).
    It’s an uphill climb though.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

ScottK
    Topics:

We still have The Fablemans, Babylon, and Killers Of The Flower Moon. On paper, those 3 seem to have the best chance at winning outside of EEAAO this early in the stage. I can’t see any other film other than the 3 I mentioned having a chance at being as beloved or as celebrated as EEAAO is. Granted, it’s July and I get it. Everything can change, but I just don’t see it. EEAAO is indeed coming to cement it’s spot in the top 5.

Those plus Women Talking are probably going to be the five we talk about all year long unless something small really surprises at telluride or tiff.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

PICTURE
    Decision to Leave
    Tar
    EEAAO
    The Way of The Wind
    Elvis
    Broker
    Triangel of Sadness
    The Whale
    The Killer
    Blonde

DIRECTOR
    David Fincher – The Killer
    Andrew Dominick – Blonde
    Terrence Malick – The Way of the Wind
    Darren Aronofsky – The Whale
    Park Chan-wook – Decision to Leave

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

ScottK
    Topics:

I feel like we are destined to have at least one female directed film do well(and get into the directing lineup.)
    The reason why Women Talking makes more sense is the fact that it is written by the filmmaker and feels more artistic on paper than She Said.)

Rachel615
    Topics:

I feel like we are destined to have at least one female directed film do well(and get into the directing lineup.)
    The reason why Women Talking makes more sense is the fact that it is written by the filmmaker and feels more artistic on paper than She Said.)

I take your point about thinking that She Said is not as likely as Women Talking to get a Directing nomination because Maria Schrader did not write (or co-write) the screenplay and her film seems less “artistic” but I note that both Spotlight and All the President’s Men received nominations for Best Director, and it appears that She Said will be somewhat similar in genre and style to both of those films, neither of which I think of as “auteur” films. (Pakula didn’t participate in writing William Goldman’s ATPM’s screenplay; McCarthy co-wrote Spotlight’s screenplay with Josh Singer.) I share your view that there is a very strong chance that at least one of the Best Director nominees will be female. I also think it’s very possible that there might be two women nominated. (I’m very curious to see Till, and am not ruling out Chinonye Chukwu‘s chances, but acknowledge that as of now, they seem less than likely.)

ScottK
    Topics:

I take your point about thinking that She Said is not as likely as Women Talking to get a Directing nomination because Maria Schrader did not write (or co-write) the screenplay and her film seems less “artistic” but I note that both Spotlight and All the President’s Men received nominations for Best Director, and it appears that She Said will be somewhat similar in genre and style to both of those films, neither of which I think of as “auteur” films. (Pakula didn’t participate in writing William Goldman’s ATPM’s screenplay; McCarthy co-wrote Spotlight’s screenplay with Josh Singer.) I share your view that there is a very strong chance that at least one of the Best Director nominees will be female. I also think it’s very possible that there might be two women nominated. (I’m very curious to see Till, and am not ruling out Chinonye Chukwu‘s chances, but acknowledge that as of now, they seem less than likely.)

It’s also the fact that there is oftentimes one directing nomination each year that isn’t overly “flashy” or enormous in scope but still stylish enough to get nominated(Kenneth Lonergan for Manchester by The Sea, Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird, Lee Issac Chung for Minari) and based on the source material, Polley could be crafting an incredibly focused/condensed narrative like those filmmakers mentioned above.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Besides EEAAO, I only see RRR and Top Gun racing ahead of all the releases in tangency with the amount of love everyone is showering on it. India needs to submit RRR for it will be a huge contender in the International category.

Bonehead
    Topics:

I anticipate RRR will get a decent push from regional critics by the year’s end.

India and Variance Films need to get their ish together. With the right campaign, RRR has potential to make Picture, Tech Categories, Music, Vfx, International Feature, and maybe more.

"I wasn't trying to be nice. I was trying to be accurate."

Taytay129
    Topics:

Bruv I’m gonna hate watching Spielberg and Scorsese fight over best director like cmon man😭

alittle03
    Topics:

It’s a good thing Sarah Polley is winning then!

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

PSA: If you don’t have KotFM and The Fabelmans in both categories, you’re wrong. Yes, it’s that simple.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

Bonehead
    Topics:

PSA: It’s still July. Predict whatever the heck you want.

"I wasn't trying to be nice. I was trying to be accurate."

Barbra Please
    Topics:

July predictions;

BEST PICTURE
    365 Days This Day
    Morbius
    Jurassic World Dominion
    Moonfall
    Blacklight
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre
    Redeeming Love
    Deep Water
    Death On The Nile
    Depp Defamation Trial

BEST DIRECTOR
    Roland Emmerich, Moonfall
    Daniel Espinosa, Morbius
    Barbara Białowąs & Tomasz Mandes, 365 Days This Day
    Adrian Lyne, Deep Water
    Colin Trevorrow, Jurassic World Dominion

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.