Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 6 posts - 496 through 501 (of 501 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel615
Bonehead
crabbie

• gorman
    Topics:

EEAAO winning makes all the more sense to me every day. Currently predicting it for seven nominations (Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, Editing) and three wins with the good old Picture/Supporting/Screenplay package.

As much as I don’t think it will win and don’t think it will be deserving of the win personally, I can’t deny that with the passion that it’s has and the critic awards support it’s bound to get it has the potential to do so via this route.

Unless it defies current expectations and underwhelms majorly outside of the GoldDerby/ Film Twitter bubble (which I don’t think it will, but then I am in those bubbles so who knows), it should hit key precursors like PGA and SAG Ensemble. I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t make Editing, and I do go along with the sentiment it is the frontrunner in Original. If I had to choose one category it should win, I’d be giving Quan an Oscar, and I think he has the narrative and performance that could give him the win there. That’s a classic Picture winning combination.

In terms of key misses, I’m not sure it will make the BAFTA Top 5. I know CODA didn’t need that, but CODA was an extremely late breaker in awards terms. EEAAO won’t be that. It might make BAFTA, but I have The Fabelmans, Bardo, Babylon, Empire of Light and Women Talking there currently. I’m not quite sure the adoration for the film is nearly as huge over here. I also don’t buy Daniels getting into Director yet, I don’t know if that branch will respond as fawningly to the film.

ScottK
    Topics:

I’m willing to say that if the Daniels make the best Director lineup that EEAAO is a top three BP contender.
    At the moment though I only have it getting 5 nominations.

film123
    Topics:

As much as I don’t think it will win and don’t think it will be deserving of the win personally, I can’t deny that with the passion that it’s has and the critic awards support it’s bound to get it has the potential to do so via this route. Unless it defies current expectations and underwhelms majorly outside of the GoldDerby/ Film Twitter bubble (which I don’t think it will, but then I am in those bubbles so who knows), it should hit key precursors like PGA and SAG Ensemble. I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t make Editing, and I do go along with the sentiment it is the frontrunner in Original. If I had to choose one category it should win, I’d be giving Quan an Oscar, and I think he has the narrative and performance that could give him the win there. That’s a classic Picture winning combination. In terms of key misses, I’m not sure it will make the BAFTA Top 5. I know CODA didn’t need that, but CODA was an extremely late breaker in awards terms. EEAAO won’t be that. It might make BAFTA, but I have The Fabelmans, Bardo, Babylon, Empire of Light and Women Talking there currently. I’m not quite sure the adoration for the film is nearly as huge over here. I also don’t buy Daniels getting into Director yet, I don’t know if that branch will respond as fawningly to the film.

Do you really have to mention how much you dislike the film in your predictions? Be objective.

pedrohf2001
    Topics:

Empire of Light looks SO good!!

Can’t wait for it. You know…what I like about Sam Mendes is how midbrow he is. And when I say this I mean he’s able to be right in the middle of artsy and crowd pleaser which I love it.

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Darling, makes sure you save at least one spot for a surprise directing nom for an International film. It’s been a trend since the 60’s and we already got 5 in a row since 2019 (Cuaron & Pawlikowski, Joon Hoo, Vinterberg, and Hamaguchi) My guesses for next year, one of them could make it: Park Chan-wook, Decision To Leave Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Bardo Claire Denis, Both Sides of The Blade Hirokazu Kore-eda, Broker Ali Abbasi, Holy Spider S.S Rajamouli, RRR Lukas Dhont, Close Marie Kreutzer, Corsage Edward Berger, All Quiet On The Western Front

I’d love to see this trend trickle down into the acting categories too. Too many international film performances are ignored each year… I’d love to see at least one per acting category…

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 6 posts - 496 through 501 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.