Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 497 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
kamila
Bonehead

• Rachel615
    Topics:

Apple screened Emancipation today in D.C. with Will Smith and Antoine Fuqua participating in a Q&A. Maybe the film really will be released this year.

https://deadline.com/2022/10/will-smith-emancipation-first-screening-runaway-slave-oscar-slap-apple-naacp-antoine-fuqua-film-1235132841/

JV
    Topics:

I forgot about Women Talking. Yeah, it’s there.

3 slots open then.

MD
    Topics:

Till sits at 66 on MC with 9 reviews

Brayfers
    Topics:

Picture:

1. The Fabelmans
    2. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    3. Babylon
    4. Women Talking
    5. Triangle of Sadness
    6. The Woman King
    7. Top Gun: Maverick
    8. Avatar: The Way of Water
    9. She Said
    10. Amsterdam

Director:

1. Daniels, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
    3. Sarah Polley, Women Talking
    4. Damien Chazelle, Babylon
    5. Park Chan-wook, Decision to Leave

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

give Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, & Stephanie Hsu their Oscars now !!

FYC:
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary
    - House of the Dragon

T3B
    Topics:
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

October Predictions

Best Picture
    1. Women Talking (United Artists)
    2. Everything Everywhere All At Once (A24)
    3. The Fabelmans (Universal Pictures)
    4. The Banshees of Inisherin (Searchlight Pictures)
    5. Top Gun: Maverick (Paramount Pictures)
    6. Tár (Focus Features)
    7. Babylon (Paramount Pictures)
    8. Decision To Leave (MUBI)
    9. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (Netflix)
    10. Elvis (Warner Bros. Pictures)

Best Director
    1. Steven Spielberg – The Fabelmans
    2. Todd Field – Tár
    3. Park Chan-wook – Decision To Leave
    4. The Daniels – Everything Everywhere All At Once
    5. Sarah Polley – Women Talking

Mare Sheehan
    Topics:

October Predictions

Best Picture
    1. The Fabelamns
    2. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    3. Women Talking
    4. The Banshees of Inisherin
    5. Top Gun: Maverick
    6. Tár
    7. Babylon
    8. Avatar: The Way of Water
    9. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
    10. The Woman King

Best Director
    1. Steven Spielberg – The Fabelmans
    2. Sarah Polley – Women Talking
    3. The Daniels – Everything Everywhere All at Once
    4. Damien Chazelle – Babylon
    5. Todd Field – Tár

Emmy and Academy Award Winner - Kate Winslet

xohours
    Topics:

James Cameron will be the dark horse in Director

Rachel615
    Topics:

I saw Till today at the NYFF and while I liked the film, and I VERY strongly believe that Danielle Deadwyler should and will be nominated in Best Actress, I no longer think the film has a chance to be nominated in Best Picture, and it certainly won’t be nominated for Best Director, although in most ways, the directing is very good.

This is a film which will be most appreciated if watched in a movie theater rather than at home or on a small screen in part because while you are not shown the murder of Emmitt Till or any other graphic physical violence, many of the scenes are extremely upsetting, angering, or just so sad that a part of the film’s effectiveness will be lost if you can easily look away, or take a break, and I suspect that if you watch the film at home, there will be times when it’s all too easy to check your phone or even briefly switch channels or apps to avoid the intensity of emotions.

Danielle Deadwyler’s performance is not to be missed and while there are a number of strengths to this film, including the production design, costumes, and some of the direction, I can see how some viewers might feel that but for the excellent acting performances, this is a somewhat ordinary biopic about an important historical figure. I disagree with that view, but in any case, Deadwyler elevates the quality of the film on her own more than any other acting performance I can think of in any film I’ve ever seen. I only wish the screenplay had been better.

I’ve read that many are reluctant to see this movie because they don’t want to be traumatized or retraumatized. I respect that view, but I very much hope that people watch it. In an odd sense, this is a hopeful film because it portrays a woman who endured the unbelievable emotional pain of the lynching of her child, yet had the wisdom to understand the need for what had happened to be known by the world, and the strength and will to become an activist, rather than withdraw, or succumb to her loss. While the subject matter is bleak, you don’t leave the film feeling hopeless— at least I didn’t.

I spend a fair amount of time wondering how we can teach empathy in a world where it is so lacking among so many. Perhaps we could start by showing this film in high schools. People need to know this story, and seeing this colorful and moving film is so much more impactful than reading a book or looking at black and white photographs.

One final thought- I was struck that at certain times, with the long closeups on faces, and occasional overbearing musical score, Till almost seems to be filmed like a horror movie. But of course, in a very real sense, it’s the ultimate horror film.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

The same people that made Bohemian Rhapsody a Best Picture nominee will make Elvis a Best Picture nominee. We should be prepared for that. Also, something tells me we won’t have an International Film in Picture nor Director.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

The same people that made Bohemian Rhapsody a Best Picture nominee will make Elvis a Best Picture nominee. We should be prepared for that. Also, something tells me we won’t have an International Film in Picture nor Director.

Not to say that it can’t happen, but BoRhap made three times as much as Elvis, so they’re not really comparable because of the dichotomy of their audiences’ passion

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

Foolio
    Topics:

Not to say that it can’t happen, but BoRhap made three times as much as Elvis, so they’re not really comparable because of the dichotomy of their audiences’ passion

This is true, but BoRhap *needed* to be a box office phenomenon to be nominated whereas Elvis doesn’t. Elvis, while easily digestible and commercial, is the kind of an auteur movie that the Academy naturally leans towards; BoRhap is a conventional by-the-numbers biopic that couldn’t have become an awards player without an enormous push from audiences.

kbc
    Topics:

This is true, but BoRhap *needed* to be a box office phenomenon to be nominated whereas Elvis doesn’t. Elvis, while easily digestible and commercial, is the kind of an auteur movie that the Academy naturally leans towards; BoRhap is a conventional by-the-numbers biopic that couldn’t have become an awards player without an enormous push from audiences.

indeed, Elvis only needed not to flop – mission accomplished.

FYC
    Best Picture: "Aftersun" (A24); “Bones & All” (MGM/UA)
    Best Director: Charlotte Wellls; Luca Guadagnino
    Best Actress: Frankie Corio; Taylor Russell
    Best Actor: Paul Mescal; Timothee Chalamet
    Best Supporting Actress: Chloe Sevigny
    Best Supporting Actor: Mark Rylance, Andre Holland, Michael Stuhlbarg
    Best Original Screenplay: Charlotte Wells
    Best Adapted Screenplay: David Kajganich

Milk Money
    Topics:

In 2018, the Best Picture frontrunner, Roma fell to Green Book.

In 2019, it went from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood to The Irishman to 1917 to Parasite

In 2020, it went from Mank to Trial of Chicago 7 to Nomadland

In 2021, it went from Belfast to The Power of the Dog to CODA

The Fablemans is bound to repeat history as bearing the frontrunner curse and being the big film helmed by a previous Oscar winner. I don’t know what’s going to win Best Picture, but it certainly won’t be The Fablemans.

Part of the reason why CODA picked up so much steam was from the ensemble winning at SAG, which turned the tides immediately in getting the industry on board to reward a film that shines light on the DEAF community. Likewise, the win for Parasite shined light on poverty communities in South Korea and the world in general. Nomadland didn’t win SAG since it didn’t have a proper ensemble, but the film also shines light on the poor socio-economic conditions of Americans experiencing the burdens of the nation-wide housing crisis. Not sure what The Fablemans touches light on besides the “magic of cinema”. Women Talking and Everything Everywhere All At Once seems to be the only films that are win-competitive and shares social commentary on marginalized groups. The former speaks on the cruel abusive actions men have been enforcing on women and the latter discusses generational trauma in Asian-American communities.

The difference is Spielberg has a lot of goodwill left over from WSS, though, and let’s not forget that he almost won Best Director. This year he’s a lock, and I’d say he’s likely to pull his film to victory with him this time. The Fablemans may not win in the end, but it’s arguably in a better position than those previous frontrunners.

And if you think the mostly male and sexist Academy is gonna position an anti-sexist film titled Women Talking at the top of their ballots, then I’ve got a bridge to sell you, lol.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

let’s not forget that he almost won Best Director

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.