Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 497 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
kamila
Bonehead

• crabbie
    Topics:

CODA winning Best Picture has deluded everyone lol. CODA had something to say about the DEAF community, while Top Gun has something to say about….Daddy Issues.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Director: Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

xohours
    Topics:

if you think Top Gun has no chance then leave it be instead of continuously venting about how/why its pointless to even categorize it w the top contenders, the anger whew

Honey
    Topics:

if you think Top Gun has no chance then leave it be instead of continuously venting about how/why its pointless to even categorize it w the top contenders, the anger whew

no best actress contender = GD thinks its a trash movie.

crabbie
    Topics:

if anyone is angry it’s you cause i only responded to someone saying top gun can win best picture and tár isn’t getting nominated. you’re the one who was pressed over my response to someone else. your drags aren’t working i fear

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Director: Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, TÁR
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Babylonian
    Topics:

on March 12, 2023. till then you can continue rambling on stats after stats on why TG won’t “win BP”

The stats crowd hasn’t learned anything from CODA. I don’t even know why we care about stats now that we are in the preferential ballot era, and 10 full nominees. Stats only mean so much.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Bonehead
    Topics:

Top Gun winning BP has to be a very funny prediction it’s not even getting nominated at screenplay or director lol it’s the ford vs ferrari of this year

One of these days we’re gonna have something like Ford v Ferrari or Nightmare Alley win Best Picture with only below-the-line nominations.

It’s reasonable to think that Top Gun: Maverick could be the one to do it.

It’ll get plenty of 1’s, 2’s, and 3’s and do well on the preferential ballot.

Rosso
    Topics:

Maverick has a chance due to the Academy’s vested interests in reflecting/representing the global/national condition with their BP picks.

Maverick can double-function as both a propagandistic assertion of US interventionism in Ukraine-Russia relations and a poster child of post-pandemic blockbuster cinema. These optics can aid in sustaining the Academy’s interest in presenting/representing US cinema as culturally imperial–and you know they looove to do that.

With that said, I think they might opt for a “softer” (for lack of a better term) option, such as Spielberg’s fictionalized childhood, or they can also continue the streak of women-led films attaining the highest honor, such as Polley’s Women Talking. Avatar and BP2 might also steal some thunder from Maverick, so there’s that.

The Oscarguy
    Topics:

To win Best Picture you need to win Director and/or Screenplay. For all the stats CODA broke, the biggest one of them all held true.

Selma Linda
    Topics:

People are underestimating White Noise, the film resurfaced at the New York festival.

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

People are underestimating White Noise, the film resurfaced at the New York festival.

I think this could be Netflix property this season, especially because the movie has potential for nominations in acting (Driver and Cheadle), screenplay and tech (production design, original score and song) categories. The story is very obscure but still the reactions at NYFF were very positive.

They also have Glass Onion, Bardo and AQOTWF but all of them has some difficulty. Glass Onion is a sequel but the first one didn’t get the nomination and we already have Top Gun, Avatar and (maybe) Black Panther there; Bardo is from a darling director but it’s his most mixed movie, even the audience didn’t like that much; and AQOTWF had a lot buzz for audience but usually foreign movies that appear in Best Picture has support from critics and this one is something we don’t know if they will give it.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I think this could be Netflix property this season, especially because the movie has potential for nominations in acting (Driver and Cheadle), screenplay and tech (production design, original score and song) categories. The story is very obscure but still the reactions at NYFF were very positive. They also have Glass Onion, Bardo and AQOTWF but all of them has some difficulty. Glass Onion is a sequel and we already have Top Gun and Avatar there; Bardo is from a darling director but it’s his most mixed movie, even the audience didn’t like that much; and AQOTWF had a lot buzz for audience but usually foreign movies that appear in Best Picture has support from critics and this one is something we don’t know if they will give it.

Glass onion is also a mystery and a comedy it has alot going on against it

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

it’s not that far fetched to put woman king , women talking and she said into my Bp lineup and i even think the globes or bafta will nominate 2 of them in directing or screenplay

Kins_le
    Topics:

Why are people not predicting S.S. Rajamouli as the foreign director pick and RRR for the 9th or 10th spots in Best Feature Film? Is it because he’s an unknown filmmaker?

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Why are people not predicting S.S. Rajamouli as the foreign director pick and RRR for the 9th or 10th spots in Best Feature Film? Is it because he’s an unknown filmmaker?

Chan wook has more of a chance than him

sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

I dunno…Metacritic on it didn’t change; it’s still a lukewarm 67 with the NYFF reviews added. And Baumbach is basically royalty in NY so good reactions don’t surprise me, but I don’t think that response will carry over to release. I do still think it will land in adapted screenplay.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.