Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 497 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
kamila
Bonehead

• JV
    Topics:

True, but Field, unlike Affleck or Cooper, isn’t primarily known as an actor, so I don’t think that bias, to the extent it exists, will be held against him.

I actually think his bias is that his movies are mostly writing based, just like McDonagh as well. I don’t think he will get in.

Bythewood is someone to watch out if The Woman King ends up being a thing.

Derrick Eoghan Oisín O'Callaghan
    Topics:

Last years BP winner: https://twitter.com/sianheder/status/1574265135656411137?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet “The Woman King is amazing. Cheering and crying and all the feelings. @GPBmadeit killed it. What a singular vision. And that cast – @violadavis, @ThusoMbedu, Lashana Lynch, Sheila Atim. Loved.”

I’m still thinking people are seriously underestimating TWK

Rachel615
    Topics:

I was cautiously excited to read that AFTER having seen the movie, Scott Feinberg includes She Said in his list of “frontrunner” Best Picture predictions, and includes Maria Schrader (as Director), and Carey Mulligan, Zoe Kazan (both in lead) and Jennifer Ehle, Samantha Morton and Patricia Clarkson (in supporting) all as “major threats” for nominations, BUT THEN I saw that he included among his five “frontrunners” for Best Actor both Adam Sandler and Tom Cruise, so….
    See https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/feinberg-forecast-95th-oscars-1235220600/

Rachel615
    Topics:

I’m still thinking people are seriously underestimating TWK

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Scott Feinberg includes it as a “frontrunner” for a BP nomination; he also includes Gina Prince-Bythewood as a “frontrunner” in Director and Viola as a “frontrunner” in lead actress AND Thuso Mbedu as a “frontrunner” in supporting actress.

Topics:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Scott Feinberg includes it as a “frontrunner” for a BP nomination; he also includes Gina Prince-Bythewood as a “frontrunner” in Director and Viola as a “frontrunner” in lead actress AND Thuso Mbedu as a “frontrunner” in supporting actress.

I like Scott’s thinking………..I can see the film getting in for Best Picture and Viola for Best Actress but let’s see about the others.

Rachel615
    Topics:

I like Scott’s thinking………..I can see the film getting in for Best Picture and Viola for Best Actress but let’s see about the others.

I think Feinberg, like a number of other pundits (including Clayton Davis), uses his predictions column this early in the Oscar campaign season to boost and promote films he personally likes, rather than predict films he legitimately has reason to believe will or could win based on conversations with AMPAS voters or industry personnel. Nonetheless, I’d always rather see films and filmmakers I like included in his predictions than omitted from them.

kamila
    Topics:

I’m really curious to see how Decision To Leave goes in this award season. If it becomes a big contender and critics push hard, I can see Park Chan-wook being a top 3 in Best Director (call me crazy if you want haha). Already saw the movie and his directing is fantastic, it’s the greatest thing in DTL, even if you don’t like the movie you’ll like what he has done here.

Spielberg is the favorite now but I feel like his hype could die until the Oscars, it feels the kind of movie that has a big hype after TIFF and wins only one categorie in the end (this could be the place but I’m not so sure yet). 

I feel similarly. If Park gets in, I’m not convinced he’d be 4th or 5th. I’d expect him to have a lot of international support, with him being a Cannes mainstay over the years and the BAFTA win for The Handmaiden when it was neither campaigned all that well nor South Korea’s selection that year.

I go back and forth on whether The Fablemans will end up being this year’s Boyhood or not, but a lot will depend on how much steam it can pick up in the fall. I don’t think critics will feel a ton of pressure to boost it.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I was cautiously excited to read that AFTER having seen the movie, Scott Feinberg includes She Said in his list of “frontrunner” Best Picture predictions, and includes Maria Schrader (as Director), and Carey Mulligan, Zoe Kazan (both in lead) and Jennifer Ehle, Samantha Morton and Patricia Clarkson (in supporting) all as “major threats” for nominations, BUT THEN I saw that he included among his five “frontrunners” for Best Actor both Adam Sandler and Tom Cruise, so…. See https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/feinberg-forecast-95th-oscars-1235220600/

so he really included Women talking after campaigning against it

also i don’t think the director of she said will make it , she will get the farelly / sorkin treatement or maybe european will boost her who knows

Topics:

Hmmm.  I really like Scott’s predictions.  I really think Olivia Colman is dead in the water now.  Something is telling me Danielle Deadwyler will take her spot for Best Actress if Till becomes a success.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

since saint omer is the most acclaimed movie can Alice Diop be the foreign director push ?

gorman
    Topics:

since saint omer is the most acclaimed movie can Alice Diop be the foreign director push ?

I guess it’s possible but she doesn’t really have the name recognition and the possible overdue narrative of filmmakers like Park Chan-wook or Ruben Ostlund. I suppose if the film fares really well with critics circles, which it definitely could, she might go the Hamaguchi route, but Drive My Car received immense backing and got into Picture, so it’s a big if. I think she might get a BAFTA nod, though, which means she could always surprise.

xandyeugh
    Topics:

BEST PICTURE:
    The Banshees of Inisherin
    The Fabelmans
    Triangle of Sadness
    Babylon
    The Whale
    Tar
    Elvis
    Top Gun: Maverick

MichelleReign
    Topics:

The Daniels are campaigning

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Frontrunners:
    Glass Onion
    Women Talking
    The Fabelmans
    The Banshees of Inisherin

Next in Line:
    EEAAO
    The Woman King
    Tar
    Living

Second Tier:
    She Said
    Top Gun: Maverick
    Black Panter: Wakanda Forever
    Decision to Leave
    Triangle of Madness
    The Menu
    All Quiet On The Western Front
    TILL
    The Whale
    Bardo

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

xohours
    Topics:

Glass Onion “frontrunner”

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 497 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.