Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
federico ruba..
TrumpBiden
Bonehead

• jjjmoss
    Topics:

Well, Nope, Smile, Lost City, and Bullet Train aren’t continuing franchises either.

Bonehead
    Topics:

Elvis is being nominated for best picture, right?

Sure feels like it.

Elvis could end up being one of the top 5 nominated films on Jan 24th.

LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

The Fablemans critically bombing miserably omg… failed oscar bait.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

The Fablemans critically bombing miserably omg… failed oscar bait.

THE FABELMANS
    METASCORE
    Universal acclaim

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Wow Banshees have a low score do people really consider it that bleak If she said had focus or searchlight they would have done better campaigning it

Banshees is very contained/small. The movie is about 2 friends/ex friends talking. The General Public usually prefer biggest movies(MCU, etc….

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I’m starting to feel tired of this season already. Very few great movies with real potential once again. But just like with blockbusters and box office overral, I hope 2023 is a much better year. The amount of movies scheduled for 2023 and box office potential is…mind boggling. Such a good schedule. Mind you, I’m a box office fanatic. Taking Endgame out, it has 2019 potential. And hopefully, the same is for awards movies. It seems that the covid production delays are catching up. And 2023 we’re getting a normal schedule. A bunch of 2022 movies still got moved to 2023.

I agree. 2023: NAPOLEON, Killers of the Flower Moon and The Killer(David Fincher

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I agree. 2023: NAPOLEON, Killers of the Flower Moon and The Killer(David Fincher

Rebel Moon(Zack Snyder) and The Flash

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Jordan Ruimi(World of Reel) thinks NAPOLEON and GLADIATOR PART II are openning in 2023. NAPOLEON is finished. GLADIATOR PART II could be openning in December 2023. Maybe it’s possible

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I thought The Editing in Elvis was very awful. But Bohemian Rhapsody(Worst Editing Ever) won Best Editing Oscar. It will be very funny if Elvis is winning Best Editing

crabbie
    Topics:

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Shrek Superslam
    Topics:

I’m sorry – I just don’t see the passion The Fabelmans – it’s not winning.

So many of the films this year just feel so dry to me… Like “The Fabelmans”, “Women Talking”, “Empire Of Light”, “The Whale”, “She Said”, “TAR” and, even, “Babylon” are marketed and presented as films that just don’t have mainstream appeal anymore…

They basically only appeal to the cinephile community with their pretentious presentation.

“Banshees” is the only one of the more cinephile-esque movies that has any mainstream appeal thanks to decent marketing and is probably going to make some of its money back, but it’s no mega-hit.

I think inevitably that either Everything Everywhere or Top Gun: Maverick will win Best Picture.

They are literally the only two films that I would say are big enough hits with general audiences to make any headroom here.

2020/21’s lineup could hide behind COVID – and even then Nomadland did recoup its budget several times over. And 2021/22’s two big hitters had the ability to hide behind a streaming service.

This year Netflix, Amazon and Apple have all pretty much dropped the ball. And the cinemas are fully open again….

My big bet is that Top Gun: Maverick wins here. (If not that, Everything Everywhere. If not that, Banshees.) And I feel like – in the long term – something has to change here. Top Gun, Glass Onion, Dune and Elvis proved that adult audiences WILL return to the cinema if you give them a movie star. Same goes for Bullet Train, Ticket To Paradise and The Lost City. Good marketing also has helped with these films. And the death of movie stardom, which is entirely self-inflicted by these studios (via the prioritisation of “telling important stories”, movie franchises and pretentious filmmakers), is very obviously the reason why so many non-franchise movies do well at the box office.

Movie studios have VERY foolishly abandoned the movie star in favour of a non-sustainable approach to filmmaking. And streaming services than scoop up big stars… Almost every major studio comedy since 2015 has debuted on a streaming service.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I am wondering aloud as to why people think Top Gun: Maverick will be nominated for BP? I don’t have it in my predictions and it is exactly the type of movie that usually misses the BP list. I didn’t like the movie but it’s not that, lots of films I don’t like get nominated – it does not feel at all to me like an inevitable BP lock.

I think Babylon is the biggest mystery – the trailer looks wonderful and I am totally intrigued by it. I think people are dismissing it prematurely and only time will tell – I think it’s a “jumping the gun” thing that happens on here when people become attached to films released earlier in the season.

So far my favorite of all the BP frontrunners is The Banshees of Inisherin. Of course it is on one of my very favorite subjects: attachment! It is beautifully directed, written, acted and produced. I honestly would be quite surprised if the director’s branch left Martin McDonagh off the Best Director nominees list. Can it win? I don’t know. In recent years we have really had to wait and see how the industry awards shake out, the SAG ensemble award lifted both Parasite and CODA to Oscar BP wins and the industry often chooses very different films and performances than the critics do.

snowball
    Topics:

I guess Banshees has a path towards BP. I think it’s gonna take GG Comedy and BAFTA. I could see it winning Picture with Screenplay and Actor/Supporting Actor. Not convinced tho. And I know people are scoffing at Top Gun but we were also convinced CODA wouldn’t come close to BP about this time last year. And we know the tragic ending. Preparing for the worse although I do wonder what other precursor is TG gonna win besides PGA.

nkb325
    Topics:

I generally like to watch as many of the major oscar contenders as I can so I’m seeing most of what voters are seeing. Last year, even though the movie as a whole was not my favorite movie of the year, there was one movie scene that I would watch online again and again just to cry, and it was the truck scene in a little movie called CODA. This year, it’s “in another life, I would have loved just doing laundry and taxes with you”. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ idk I just think in this modern internet age there’s something to that, something to a movie really appealing to voters emotions and their need for catharsis in stressful times.

Long way of saying, I think EEAAO has a real shot at the gold.

laslo
    Topics:

I am wondering aloud as to why people think Top Gun: Maverick will be nominated for BP? I don’t have it in my predictions and it is exactly the type of movie that usually misses the BP list.

I like Top Gun but I don’t think it’s all that. But people are predicting it because the movie made $1.5 billion, has a 96% on RottenTomatoes, and is a serious contender in several BTL categories. The film has everything a blockbuster needs to get into Best Picture.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.