Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
federico ruba..
TrumpBiden
Bonehead

• DanC
    Topics:

Thank goodness.

Qoslca
    Topics:

All 23 Oscar categories will be presented live during the Oscars 2023 telecast.

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.” 🎥

abelfenty
    Topics:

Picture
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. Top Gun: Maverick
    5. Avatar: The Way of Water
    6. Women Talking
    7. Elvis
    8. Knives Out: Glass Onion
    9. TAR
    10. Babylon

11. The Woman King
    12. All Quiet on the Western Front
    13. The Whale
    14. She Said
    15. Aftersun

Director
    1. James Cameron, Avatar: The Way of the Water
    2. Steven Speilberg, The Fabelmans
    3. Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    4. Sarah Polley, Women Talking
    5. Edward Berger, All Quiet on the Western Front

6. Todd Field, TAR
    7. Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
    8. Baz Luhrmann, Elvis
    9. Damien Chazelle, Babylon
    10. Joseph Kosinski, Top Gun: Maverick

Cabiria
    Topics:

Currently, I think Best Pic will come down to EEAAO, The Fablemans and Top Gun Maverick while Director will come down to the Daniels (EEAAO), Steven Speilberg (The Fablemans) and Sarah Polley (Women Talking).

Pic:
    1. EEAAO
    2. Top Gun Maverick
    3. The Fablemans

Director:
    1. Steven Speilberg
    2. The Daniels
    3. Sarah Polley

As far as I love EEAAO, I don’t think it deserves an Oscars win for direction to be honest. It will have its rightful wins in BP or Screenplay.

2023:
    "TAR", "Banshees","Batman"

xohours
    Topics:

Cinema showing how its done again

TrumpBiden
    Topics:

EEAO just won the Gotham Awards for best film. Not to relevant, but me thinks this is just the beginning. 😀

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Its still not out in my area yet, but I do wonder where this narrative came from originally. That he was winning his 3rd, done deal, and we all just jumped on it? I’m also predicting him to win and haven’t even seen his film yet. It’s just because of who he is and the type of film this is. I wish I could watch it so I can see what all the fuss about his direction here is.

Saw the film, and not predicting him at all. Seems like the early frontrunner that loses steam. Your question puzzles me as well. Where did this narrative come from? Why is this film the director frontunner?

Topics:

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Darling, Sweetie Spielberg doesn’t need a third directing Oscar. Especially for his overly sentimental movie about him and his annoying mom and her goofy wig. Daniels, Field, Chan-wook, Berger, Wells, are far worthier for their daring and bold efforts.

I agree. I kind of hated her mom in the movie. If he loves/adores his mom, well, his mom was annoying in the movie

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Darling, Sweetie Spielberg doesn’t need a third directing Oscar. Especially for his overly sentimental movie about him and his annoying mom and her goofy wig. Daniels, Field, Chan-wook, Berger, Wells, are far worthier for their daring and bold efforts.

I agree. From your List, I choose Chan-Wook. One Of The Greatest Directors

kamila
    Topics:

Its still not out in my area yet, but I do wonder where this narrative came from originally. That he was winning his 3rd, done deal, and we all just jumped on it? I’m also predicting him to win and haven’t even seen his film yet. It’s just because of who he is and the type of film this is. I wish I could watch it so I can see what all the fuss about his direction here is.

I think there were good reasons for it. Director seems like a natural place for passion for the film to cluster with Williams out of Supporting, and love for Spielberg has been in the air since West Side Story. I think most feel that he, like Scorsese, should have more than one directing Oscar but he’s had fewer and fewer vehicles over the years. A personal project that showcases how he got into filmmaking feels like a winner on paper, especially when the passion for Picture doesn’t seem like it can last.

I agree there are more cutting edge options in the category and I wonder if more passion will arise for them. But I also wonder if that support for other contenders might be split between Directing and Screenplay, which is a category I don’t see Fablemans winning. Love for TAR, Banshees, or EEAAO could just go to the Original Screenplay category instead of Director.

Topics:

JV
    Topics:

The “alternative” to Spielberg is as obvious as it is… The Daniels.

Mladen
    Topics:

I am having some strange feeling about Top Gun: Maverick. We discuss EEAAO, The Fabelmans, Women Talking and Banshees, and rightfully so, but I am having some unreasonable and inexplicable feeling that TGM can sweep into Best Picture race as a frontrunner, leaving also Director race open for The Daniels to take it.

These small, independent movies under-performing at Box Office is one thing. Spielberg, a man who created blockbusters, underperforming for a movie with a budget of $40M is another. I am not sure what projected numbers are at the moment, but with Top Gun re-release and Avatar premiere, plus Wakanda Forever and Black Adam, I can’t see it going to $20-30M. I may be wrong, though.

I can honestly see The Fabelmans underperforming at awards this season, shifting the narrative to more financially successful movies – Maverick and EEAAO.

Spreading the Love: Oscars 2023
    Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Director: The Daniels
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Angela Bassett

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.