Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
federico ruba..
TrumpBiden
Bonehead

• Shrek Superslam
    Topics:

I’ll say this about Best Picture.

I think if The Banshees Of Inisherin wins Best Picture that it will also be taking Best Director.

If Top Gun: Maverick wins, Spielberg still wins.

If Everything Everywhere All At Once wins, it’s still 50/50.

Picture Line-Up Prediction: (8)

The Banshees Of Inisherin
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    Elvis
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    The Fabelmans
    Glass Onion
    Top Gun: Maverick
    The Woman King
    Women Talking

Yes, I think TAR, The Whale and Babylon have a decent chance of getting snubbed. And, yes, I do believe that the Box Office hits take their place.

Hollywood gonna get changing the next few years and the Oscar-bait and the critics darlings won’t have such a fortunate place, unless they make, at least, a modicum of money or they are directed by Steven Spielberg.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if they drop Women Talking, too, and it gets replaced by a more financially successful alternative. (Or, frankly, a more inspired pick.)

Bonehead
    Topics:

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    Elvis
    The Fabelmans
    Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
    The Woman King
    Women Talking

I’ve been toying with a lineup like this that includes all four sequels

Feels like such a sudden and desperate attempt at rebranding and appealing to youth culture, but I could definitely see it happening.

Would this lineup “#Save the Oscars”?

gabspss
    Topics:

TÁR will not snubbed at this state. The movie is beloved, is doing well and it’s just the thing the Oscars love to nominate to fill slots a la Brooklyn, Room, Selma, Her etc etc. I think TÁR is safely top 6.

It's about the chaotic editing in Moulin Rouge!

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I am having some strange feeling about Top Gun: Maverick. We discuss EEAAO, The Fabelmans, Women Talking and Banshees, and rightfully so, but I am having some unreasonable and inexplicable feeling that TGM can sweep into Best Picture race as a frontrunner, leaving also Director race open for The Daniels to take it. These small, independent movies under-performing at Box Office is one thing. Spielberg, a man who created blockbusters, underperforming for a movie with a budget of $40M is another. I am not sure what projected numbers are at the moment, but with Top Gun re-release and Avatar premiere, plus Wakanda Forever and Black Adam, I can’t see it going to $20-30M. I may be wrong, though. I can honestly see The Fabelmans underperforming at awards this season, shifting the narrative to more financially successful movies – Maverick and EEAAO.

I agree. I think The Fabelmans will be a total flop with the Oscars. The Fabelmans is the new The Irishman/Mank

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I’ve been toying with a lineup like this that includes all four sequels Feels like such a sudden and desperate attempt at rebranding and appealing to youth culture, but I could definitely see it happening. Would this lineup “#Save the Oscars”?

I agree. Oscars are getting desperate. They could nominate 4 sequels

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I’ll say this about Best Picture. I think if The Banshees Of Inisherin wins Best Picture that it will also be taking Best Director. If Top Gun: Maverick wins, Spielberg still wins. If Everything Everywhere All At Once wins, it’s still 50/50. Picture Line-Up Prediction: (8) Avatar: The Way Of The Wind The Banshees Of Inisherin Black Panther: Wakanda Forever Elvis Everything Everywhere All At Once The Fabelmans Glass Onion Top Gun: Maverick The Woman King Women Talking Yes, I think TAR, The Whale and Babylon have a decent chance of getting snubbed. And, yes, I do believe that the Box Office hits take their place. Hollywood gonna get changing the next few years and the Oscar-bait and the critics darlings won’t have such a fortunate place, unless they make, at least, a modicum of money or they are directed by Steven Spielberg. I also wouldn’t be surprised if they drop Women Talking, too, and it gets replaced by a more financially successful alternative. (Or, frankly, a more inspired pick.)

I agree. I think The Oscars will be getting more desperate and More Commercial in the next few years. The Oscars hate Marvel but love DC. I think a DC movie could be winning Best Picture Oscar in the next few years

Rachel615
    Topics:

TÁR will not snubbed at this state. The movie is beloved, is doing well and it’s just the thing the Oscars love to nominate to fill slots a la Brooklyn, Room, Selma, Her etc etc. I think TÁR is safely top 6.

You say Tar is “beloved.” I’ve read a LOT of reviews and articles which demonstrate that MANY film critics and “public intellectual” types love Tar but does the film have passion among people within the industry? I really haven’t seen that it has a lot of love from actors, screenwriters, movie producers, etc. Certainly not the kind of love I’m seeing for EEAAO, for Elvis, or even, among some people, for Top Gun:Maverick. Am I missing something?

federico rubachin
    Topics:

current prediction:
    The Fabelmans
    Women Talking
    Elvis
    TAR
    She Said
    Triangle of Sadness
    The Woman King

wolfali
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Women Talking and kuddos to Sarah Polley for all of her acknowledgments this year, but I must admit I’m a bit disappointed she’s deemed the female nomination of the season when Gina Prince Bythewood directed an epic full of action, beauty, sorrow, powerful performances, breathtaking background settings, amazing choreography, and an all around film everyone can enjoy, is not the female choice. She did what many male directors are celebrated for and nominated for over and over again

I think what’s truly disappointing is that there always has to be just one “female director nominee” in the overall discourse every Oscar season. Rebecca Hall, Joanna Hogg and Maggie Gyllenhaal deserved so much better last year and Bythewood,  Chukwu, Wells and Diwan are more deserving than half of last year’s actual best director nominees. It was so refreshing when we had Fennell and Zhao nominated with each other two years ago and even then it was disappointing that King didn’t factor much in the conversation outside of the Globes.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Selma Linda
    Topics:

Selma Linda
    Topics:

TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Beloved by who? Critics? That doesn’t translate to the Academy. We won’t know if the film is actually “beloved” until the precursors hit.

Selma Linda
    Topics:

Selma Linda
    Topics:

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Darling, Sweetie Spielberg doesn’t need a third directing Oscar. Especially for his overly sentimental movie about him and his annoying mom and her goofy wig. Daniels, Field, Chan-wook, Berger, Wells, are far worthier for their daring and bold efforts.

I agree. I know a lot of wins tend to be on basis of sentimentality and narrative

But I am so meh on Spielberg’s win! Clearly, his directorial craft isn’t the best compared to possible nominees, and neither is the narrative so swoon-worthy. He has already won 3 Oscars. What’s with the fourth? I mean even Martin has only 1 and he is deemed one of the greats as well. Love that man, but meh

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.