Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
federico ruba..
TrumpBiden
Bonehead

• Cabiria
    Topics:

I think what’s truly disappointing is that there always has to be just one “female director nominee” in the overall discourse every Oscar season. Rebecca Hall, Joanna Hogg and Maggie Gyllenhaal deserved so much better last year and Bythewood, Chukwu, Wells and Diwan are more deserving than half of last year’s actual best director nominees. It was so refreshing when we had Fennell and Zhao nominated with each other two years ago and even then it was disappointing that King didn’t factor much in the conversation outside of the Globes.

Chukwu, Wells and Diwan are more deserving than half of [Campion, Spielberg, Hamaguchi, Paul Thomas Anderson, Branagh]? I think you’re being exaggerating.

As for Maggie Gyllenhaal, she got a GG nom and the most “first-time directing” awards including DGA last year. What did you expect more from her and “The Lost Daughter”? An Oscars? She’s doing pretty well in the last award season.

When you’re truly outstanding and your films are top BP contenders, it’s always more easily to get the Oscars nom, just like Gerwig, Fennell, Zhao, Campion. This year, we have Sarah Polley and maybe Gina Prince-Bythewood.

2023:
    "TAR", "Banshees","Batman"

federico rubachin
    Topics:

Chukwu, Wells and Diwan are more deserving than half of [Campion, Speilberg, Hamaguchi, Paul Thomas Anderson, Branagh]? I think you’re being exaggerating. Besides, Maggie Gyllenhaal got GG nom and the most “first-time directing” awards including DGAlast year. What did you expect more from her and “The Lost Daughter”? An Oscars? When you’re outstanding and your films are top BP contenders, you’ll get the nom, just like Gerwig, Fennell, Zhao, Campion. This year, we have Sarah Polley and maybe Gina Prince-Bythewood.

the doesn’t needs to be a top BP contender to get the BD nom, one example is vinterberg. Diwan has the adventage of the BAFTA best director nom like vinterberg.

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, last season’s directing lineup are pretty mediocre (outside of Hamaguchi of course). I hope next year could be better.

Cabiria
    Topics:

the doesn’t needs to be a top BP contender to get the BD nom, one example is vinterberg. Diwan has the adventage of the BAFTA best director nom like vinterberg.

Oh, I think she can definitely happen at BAFTAs. Yet for Oscars, it’s far less likely than Edward Berger or Park Chan-wook, if there’s one slot for international film.

2023:
    "TAR", "Banshees","Batman"

federico rubachin
    Topics:

Oh, I think she can definitely happen at BAFTAs. Yet for Oscars, it’s far less likely than Edward Berger or Park Chan-wook, if there’s one slot for international film.

she already had the BAFTA nom and in 2018 they nominated 2 international films for the oscar for best director ( roma and cold war)

Taytay129
    Topics:

Can anyone who’s seen The Fablemans tell me what’s so great about Spielberg’s directing in it?  I mean it looks way less technically impressive then West Side Story and there are directors this year like Field, McDonagh and Park Chan Wook who have all done some real impressive stuff but they almost get chucked to the side just because the Fablemans has Spielberg’s name attached to it so he just auto wins like huh? Like is he the frontrunner because he’s genuinely the best or because he’s a well known legend and they wanna give him another one. Then again I haven’t even seen the movie so I can’t say much.

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Can anyone who’s seen The Fablemans tell me what’s so great about Spielberg’s directing in it? I mean it looks way less technically impressive then West Side Story and there are directors this year like Field, McDonagh and Park Chan Wook who have all done some real impressive stuff but they almost get chucked to the side just because the Fablemans has Spielberg’s name attached to it so he just auto wins like huh? Like is he the frontrunner because he’s genuinely the best or because he’s a well known legend and they wanna give him another one. Then again I haven’t even seen the movie so I can’t say much.

Darling, you must be new to this. The Oscars is nothing more than a popularity contest.

crabbie
    Topics:

The Menu > Triangle of Sadness

Hong Chau > Dolly DeLeon

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

kamila
    Topics:

The Menu > Triangle of Sadness Hong Chau > Dolly DeLeon

Ugh finally someone said it. Triangle of Sadness was a whole mess until Dolly DeLeon’s act and even she couldn’t fully save it.

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

The Menu is not an Oscar type film. It is a horror movie. It will get no nominations.

federico rubachin
    Topics:

triangle of sadness has a low metacritic and high imdb like jojo rabbit, i think will do fine in the oscars

Cosmia
    Topics:

The Menu is not an Oscar type film. It is a horror movie. It will get no nominations.

It was advertised as a horror movie because they’re the only non-superhero movies that make money anymore, but in truth it’s a black comedy thriller.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Ugh finally someone said it. Triangle of Sadness was a whole mess until Dolly DeLeon’s act and even she couldn’t fully save it.

I watched the movie last week and I felt the same, what a boring until the third act (and even that I don’t think makes the movie more interesting to me). Really need to understand how Cannes jury gave the Palme D’or to this.

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Am I the only one not rooting for Spielberg and The Fabelmans? I saw the trailer the other day. Not my cup of tee

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.