Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 504 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
federico ruba..
TrumpBiden
Bonehead

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

DanC
    Topics:

I’m trying not to read too deep into the NBR results, especially since the season’s just getting started but I do have some thoughts.

Top Gun Maverick has officially taken off. NBR is where Mad Max Fury Road established itself as not just a populist pipe dream like No Way Home and became an actual contender. It’s also looking like a lock in cinematography.

RRR is building momentum. What if its Selma? Gets nominated for just picture and song? Could Rajamouli be this year’s international director too?

Good for Till, Aftersun & The Woman King. Bad for She Said, Elvis (NBR typically nominates something from WB) and The Whale. I’ll wait for a major precursor or at least AFI before making further conclusions.

I think that anyone still predicting Pinocchio in BP should abandon ship ASAP. It’s not even sweeping the animated feature awards. NBR is an animation-friendly group so Pinocchio had a real chance here. Netflix is going to make Glass Onion their main priority and we’ll see how that goes. I think Glass Onion’s release strategy has been very strategic in terms of reminding voters/critics that it exists at the exact right moments.

Cabiria
    Topics:

Decision to Leave is not doing that great either. Has it won something? Both Close and All Quiet on the Western Front are doing way better. I don’t think it’s winning International Film anymore. It’s no Drive My Car.

Yeah it’s not happening at BP and even BD imo. I mean if you have watched the film you would know it doesn’t feel like a typical International Film winner that most voters will go for. The direction still deserves a nom but the screenplay has its issues.

2023:
    "TAR", "Banshees","Batman"

MichelleReign
    Topics:

Satellite nominations can very much be the Oscar nominations come January. I hate to even imagine, but both Joseph Kosinski and Baz Luhrmann can happen and we are underestimating their love for TGM and Elvis. (aka Todd Phillips)

Arias
    Topics:

Director is always interesting but it’s really turning into a bloodbath:

Spielberg, Field, McDonagh, the Daniels seen ahead right now. But then you have Polley too. And now Kosinski and Cameron making a charge. Plus the international filmmakers – Rajamouli, Ostlund, Chan-wook and Berger – in the mix (I can definitely see the branch including at least one in the lineup).

Kosinski really seems to be picking up steam.

momo-memo
    Topics:

NBR Superb lineup …I really like it

Best Actor : Colin Farrell, Brendan Fraser, Austin Butler, Bill Nighy

Best Actress : Michelle Yeoh, Ana de Armas, Cate Blanchett , Andrea Riseborough, Danielle Deadwyler

xohours
    Topics:

as much as I love Maverick, never saw the Director potent since the film and hysteria of it all basically mimics around Cruise himself and the legacy left from Tony Scott till now, ig his path would be to Todd Phillips into the race

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Rachel615
    Topics:

We’ll see if She Said can get in at the Globes tomorrow (just like The Post) otherwise it’s only hope is PGA and SAG. I don’t think it’s getting in ensemble for the latter due to the stiff competition and PGA might not even be in its reach.

It’s AFI that releases its top 10 movies of the year tomorrow— Globe nominations won’t be announced until Monday, the 12th.

crabbie
    Topics:

It’s AFI that releases its top 10 movies of the year tomorrow— Globe nominations won’t be announced until Monday, the 12th.

Oops my bad.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

AFI Predictions
    Babylon
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    The Fabelmans
    Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
    Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio
    TÁR
    Top Gun: Maverick
    The Woman King
    Women Talking

Special Award: The Banshees of Inisherin and All the Beauty and the Bloodshed (last year they also gave to Summer of Soul so I see a path for All the Beauty given the passion the movie got so far)

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Tbh I don’t know why people aren’t  McDonagh in directing each year we get an European director with a top contender that is competitive in either directing or screenplay and they usually make it like the favourite, 1917 , dunkrik , promising young woman ..etc and that branch is very euro heavy so if he makes GG and BAFTA then he could get in

Butz
    Topics:

Tbh I don’t know why people aren’t McDonagh in directing each year we get an European director with a top contender that is competitive in either directing or screenplay and they usually make it like the favourite, 1917 , dunkrik , promising young woman ..etc and that branch is very euro heavy so if he makes GG and BAFTA then he could get in

I’m still burned from 2018 … I won’t get my hopes up too high unless he literally gets in everywhere.

For Your Consideration:
    The Banshees of Inisherin in ALL categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Actor (Colin Farrell)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Brendan Gleeson)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Barry Keoghan)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Kerry Condon)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Sheila Flitton)
    - Best Original Screenplay

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

TrumpBiden
    Topics:

So, early 2024 prediction. Super Mario Bros movie gets nominated for Animated film.

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

How many films did you spot? I usually finds Google’s round-up very telling of what made the most buzz in the year. I saw Top Gun, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Turning Red, and RRR (that theater celebration..wow!). Could be telling.

And of course, Queen Youn giving Troy the Oscar and Queen Sheryl Lee Ralph’s speech

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 504 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)’ is closed to new replies.