Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

2023 Oscars: Best Picture and Director (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 465 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
20 mins ago
( +14 hidden )
replies
views
users
Jax
federico ruba..
Bonehead

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I can’t remember a single shot from The Fabelmans that I was struck by apart from Michelle Williams dancing in front of the car lights.

This is unfathomable to me. I saw it today too and Sammy using his hands as a screen will be an iconic shot of cinema for the remainder of time. But other than that, there was the ending gag, the establishing shot, and all of the sequences using a different camera (which is a big chunk of the movie) that are also very memorable.

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Fabelmans
    3. The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. The Batman
    5. TAR
    6. Top Gun: Maverick
    7. Bros
    8. The Woman King
    9. Elvis
    10. The Menu

ReplyCopy URL

Ryan
    Topics:

This is unfathomable to me. I saw it today too and Sammy using his hands as a screen will be an iconic shot of cinema for the remainder of time. But other than that, there was the ending gag, the establishing shot, and all of the sequences using a different camera (which is a big chunk of the movie) that are also very memorable.

I did enjoy all of the different camera sequences with Sammy, but I can’t say that the actual visuals will stick with me more than some of the shots from EEAAO, or TÁR, or The Banshees of Inisherin.

On a different note, I found Sammy’s storylines involving filmmaking to be vastly superior and much more effective than the material Williams and Dano were given.

ReplyCopy URL

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Every day I wonder more and more whether I accidentally bought tickets for a different movie called Top Gun: Maverick that was apparently in theaters at the exact same time the one that everybody else saw was.

I agree. Top Gun: Maverick is So Overrated it’s not even funny. Greatest Sequel Ever? You forgot about The Godfather II

ReplyCopy URL

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Top Gun is the highest grossing movie of the year with good reviews and a great reception from the audience. I don’t know about best picture yet but it’s clearly going to get a lot of nominations in technical categories and maybe including best song. Saying that nobody cares about it is ridiculous. I’m a Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga fan and I’ve never understood why so many Taylor Swift fans are so jealous of Lady Gaga’s career. Taylor Swift is clearly the bigger star in the music world but yet you guys continue to be very angry about Lady Gaga’s existence. Taylor Swift is just playing small roles in bad movies, she’s not even trying to compete with Lady Gaga in terms of acting roles. Are you jealous because Lady Gaga won an Oscar for best song first? Are you mad because Taylor Swift is dominant in pop music but can’t get an Oscar nomination for best song? What the heck is your problem? It’s not just Lady Gaga you guys are jealous of any other female music star that is successful. You started attacking Olivia Rodrigo because she became too successful for your taste and she’s just a 19 year old girl. You say nice things about Gayle and Sabrina Carpenter because they are flops and in your mind won’t compete with Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift is one of the biggest music stars in the world and has had an outrageous amount of longevity and music awards and has the most insecure fan base on the planet and I want to know why?

I have a theory: Taylor Swift is The New Madonna. Hugely Successful Worldwide but has the most insecure fans

ReplyCopy URL

M
    Topics:

I feel like Avatar is gonna win BP. It’s probably going to surpass Top Gun Maverick’s opening, and I think if it’s well received, it’ll sweep many technical categories + BP. This year just feels weaker than usual.

ReplyCopy URL

xohours
    Topics:

ReplyCopy URL

KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

The Oscars don’t care about which movie has the biggest box office. If they did Avatar would have beaten The Hurt Locker, La La Land would have beaten Moonlight and Joker or 1917 would have beaten Parasite. Spider-Man No Way Home would have at least garnered a best picture nomination. I’m not saying that the Avatar sequel can’t win but as we saw with the first movie, box office isn’t enough.

ReplyCopy URL

Cabiria
    Topics:

Just watched Triangle of Sadness…what a bold unique film! I hope it can get into Original Screenplay and I can totally understand why it won over “Decision To Leave” at Cannes, same as why “Titane” won over “Drive My Car” last year.

2023: TAR, Banshees, Whale, and Empire of Light;
    The Batman for below-the-line

ReplyCopy URL

Bonehead
    Topics:

West Side Story is so much better than The Fabelmans

"I wasn't trying to be nice. I was trying to be accurate."

ReplyCopy URL

Victor
    Topics:

West Side Story is so much better than The Fabelmans

Didn’t watch Fabelmans yet but i doubt I will like more than West Side Story
    That one is up there as one of my favorites Spielberg movies EVER.

Emmy winner Matthew Macfadyen!!

ReplyCopy URL

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

I feel like Avatar is gonna win BP. It’s probably going to surpass Top Gun Maverick’s opening, and I think if it’s well received, it’ll sweep many technical categories + BP. This year just feels weaker than usual.

This could be true. I totally agree with “this year just feels weaker than usual”. 2009-2010 was totally different. Kathryn Bigelow won and she was The First Woman Ever Winning Best Director Oscar. In 2022, Movie Theaters are Dying and The Oscars could be saying “Avatar 2 saved All of Hollywood especially Movie Theaters Worldwide”

ReplyCopy URL

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

This could be true. I totally agree with “this year just feels weaker than usual”. 2009-2010 was totally different. Kathryn Bigelow won and she was The First Woman Ever Winning Best Director Oscar. In 2022, Movie Theaters are Dying and The Oscars could be saying “Avatar 2 saved All of Hollywood especially Movie Theaters Worldwide”

And I didn’t even like Avatar 1. But Movie Theaters are in danger Worldwide. The Oscars could be loving Avatar 2 only because Avatar 2 will save Hollywood especially Saving Movie Theaters

ReplyCopy URL

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Cabiria
    Topics:

Oscars voters don’t have “we should give *** Oscars because we need to save theater” in mind. Why do you guys hurt yourselves every year by creating these laughable narratives?

2023: TAR, Banshees, Whale, and Empire of Light;
    The Batman for below-the-line

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 465 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.