Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 440 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 hours ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Bonehead
Rachel615
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Jake
    Topics:

Is anyone betting on Armageddon Time yet? How do you feel about the supporting men chances? Anyone predicting them? Reviews overall seem positive since Cannes and looks like it’s added to the lineup for NYFF. Very curious about this one.

Yeah, me too. What it has working in its favor – personal, introspective films based on childhood experiences of their directors are in fashion since “Roma” at least, given “Belfast”s Oscar success. What it has working against it – “Bardo” and “The Fabelmans” fit into this category as well and their creators are better known and more recognized.

I think it’s no brainer that Jeremy Strong will actually become Oscar nominee this decade, whether it will be for this or something else.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I actually disagree for numerous reasons, namely that I think his likely Supporting Actor placement is his absolute best chance of winning, since that category is quite barren of any logical winners at the moment and he could easily ride the passion of his movie and narrative to a win, or even sweep. Quan might not even make it in lead, whereas he’s arguably as close to a lock as you can get, considering the category. And also I felt his character, despite having a considerable chunk of screentime (thanks to the different versions of his character), was ultimately and narratively supporting Evelyn’s storyline. Everything is still through Yeoh’s character’s eyes and in the several plot synopses for the film, they solely describe Evelyn and her plotline. It’s about her life *in relation* to her family and her dissatisfaction. Quan has 37 minutes less screentime than Yeoh. I suppose one could argue Yeoh and Quan are co-leads, but I still think the latter (and anyone who is not Yeoh) is a supporting character at the end of the day. Also, I don’t think there’s any reason to push Hong when they can easily get a win for Quan.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Part of why audiences at large have resonated with Everything Everywhere All at Once is because of the film’s focus throughout on Evelyn’s emotional journey with her husband, daughter and father and her grappling of past life mistakes in order to preserve a prosperous future and save herself and her family from the impending doom she faces in the present. Quan, Hsu and Hong all dip in and out of scenes but Yeoh is in almost every single frame of this film.

Quan’s supporting placement is the correct one. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

Am I the only person who thinks Triangle of Sadness is being overestimated? These quirky Cannes films only ever break through when they have the fierce backing of critics and audiences and the critical reception to this film so far has been quite mediocre. 

It did not feel like a commanding Palme d’Or win even with some of the glowing reviews. And without a central showstopping performance, I’m just not convinced.

And who knows, Glass Onion or The Menu may steal its thunder.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

And who knows, Glass Onion or The Menu may steal its thunder.

Or all three could even cancel each other out due to voter fatigue. I mean obviously it’s an Emmy eligible TV series but the second season of The White Lotus is also coming out in October and I think 4 eerily similar ensemble led projects about the privilege of the upper middle class and elite on holiday destinations could just lead to voters feeling apathy towards all three of Glass Onion, The Menu and Triangle of Sadness. These aren’t the Emmys where visibility is prioritised over passion and contemporary true crime series with eerily similar premises can make up an entire nominations field.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    K Olivia
    Topics:

Am I the only one who feels like Quan should maybe be campaigning in lead instead of Supporting. I know Supporting is obviously an easier category to win but I’ve seen EEAAO three times now, and each time it feels like he is just of much as a lead as Michelle Yeoh.

Screen time data for Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) according to Matthew Stewart

– Michelle Yeoh – 1:35:16 (68.38%)
    – Ke Huy Quan – 58:33 (42.03%)
    – Stephanie Hsu – 42:18 (30.36%)
    – James Hong – 19:37 (14.08%)
    – Jamie Lee Curtis – 17:15 (12.38%)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bonehead
    Topics:

Thanks for relaying that information, K Olivia.

I guess that settles it. Ke Huy Quan will go supporting, not that there was any real question he wouldn’t.

Should he win, Ke Huy Quan would have the 7th highest length of screentime of any supporting actor winner.

He has a higher percentage of screentime than Christolph Waltz did in Django Unchained, LaKeith Stanfield in Judas and the Black Messiah, Kevin Spacey in American Beauty, and Jeremy Irons in Reversal of Fortune just to name a few.

At least those numbers help explain why some of us felt he could have been considered lead.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bonehead
    Topics:

A new challenger approaches! Officially entering the prediction center arena is Zen McGrath!

Thank you GoldDerby staff!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Ke Huy Quan is taking this omg my heart is beaming with so much joy ❤ He stepped away from acting because there were no roles available for Asian actors at his time and now he came back with a bang.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BrazilianDude
    Topics:

Screen time data for Everything Everywhere All at Once (2022) according to Matthew Stewart – Michelle Yeoh – 1:35:16 (68.38%) – Ke Huy Quan – 58:33 (42.03%) – Stephanie Hsu – 42:18 (30.36%) – James Hong – 19:37 (14.08%) – Jamie Lee Curtis – 17:15 (12.38%)

That is lead screen time, but I have the opinion he was supporting. In my opinion, Evelyn is the sole lead. Waymond is always supporting her. Everything is about her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    K Olivia
    Topics:

That is lead screen time, but I have the opinion he was supporting. In my opinion, Evelyn is the sole lead. Waymond is always supporting her. Everything is about her.

Quan has a considerate amount of screen time. So the lead arguments are justifiable. However, A24 should campaign him in Supporting. It makes more sense narratively & strategically. Yeoh is the true lead of EEAAO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

A24 can get him a win on this narrative/campaign.

Someone giving an Oscar worthy performance on their first try back and being inspired to come out of retirement by a successful studio programmer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LLLhawks
    Topics:

A new challenger approaches! Officially entering the predction center arena is Zen McGrath!

Thank you GoldDerby staff!

Checked as soon as I saw this and he’s high up there already. Wtf? Do you guys get notifications when new things get added in the predictions?

I just love movies. And awards.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    BrazilianDude
    Topics:

A new challenger approaches! Officially entering the prediction center arena is Zen McGrath! Thank you GoldDerby staff!

still waiting for Judd Hirsch’s addition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bonehead
    Topics:

What are the chances that Batman stars Paul Dano, Barry Keoghan, and Colin Farrell all get Oscar nominations?

Not for The Batman, obviously, but their other films: Fabelmans and Banshees.

I think it’d be a pretty neat.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 440 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.