Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 500 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Bonehead
Rachel615
wolfali

• BurgerFriesSoda
    Topics:

Updated predictions:

01. Brendan Gleeson
    This just feels like a stereotypical co-lead/character actor nomination that’s inevitable.

02. Ke Huy Quan
    There’s no doubt in my mind that his performance is beloved enough on its own terms that a mixture of coattail alongside the literal acclaim (and campaign narrative) is a given. I think he could genuinely win, especially if later in the season Yeoh looks less like the frontrunner in Actress.

03. Judd Hirsch
    This has bait written all over it. Dude could have 5 minutes, and all he needs is one heartfelt line or two to make it in here. I genuinely think he’s in way more than most seem to, and I think Dano misses because of this certainty I have.

04. Ben Whishaw
    Feels strange considering the women’s dominance for the film, but I’m gonna go ahead and believe the buzz that he’s as great as he supposedly is. He’s worked with a lot of respected people throughout the years, and that’ll help him out a ton.

05. I have no freaking idea.

I don’t see Fabelmans being the type of ensemble piece to get a double nomination here, so buzz should tell me that I need to predict Dano, but I just don’t feel it in the air at all. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be shocked if Ward could get in here even if Colman misses. Causeway’s buzz drop gives me less hope for Henry, because that feels more like you need a lead co-nominee to happen. Ward is more of a borderline case to have more time to shine. I sincerely believe this last spot is somebody we aren’t even thinking about.

Which leads me to some fun speculation, just because…

Ralph Fiennes has had strong notices for The Menu, but I’m not sold that the film will play huge with the Academy. It’s a bit too horror-y. However, if anybody can get a supporting nod in a horror film in a less than buzzy year, I guess it would be somebody like Fiennes.

and then…

Tobey Maguire in Babylon. This is strictly, strictly speculative, and I’ve mentioned it before. But if the film starts to get nothing in other categories (I’m currently only predicting Smart), I would not be shocked if he pulled a Mark Wahlberg in 2006 type of nomination here. It all depends on 1) how well-received the movie actually is, and 2) if his character is that kind of memorable archetype that could do it. I’m only saying because I have no trouble seeing his name announced for it, considering it’d be the only time they’d be able to recognize an actor of his stature. I sincerely doubt anybody’s gonna be voting for Pitt this year, and Calva could seriously be seen as in the film way more than some of the other performances within it that remain on the minimal side. I’ll eat my words in a couple of months, I’m sure, but something’s rattling in my brain that he’s more of a possibility than anybody realizes right now.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Chris Pine gives a career best performance as a sinister charismatic villain in Don’t Worry Darling and he would be an excellent nominee. Haven’t seen everything yet – there are always more than 5 performers who deserve nominations every year. Pine was mesmerizing and matched Pugh (and the underrated Harry Styles, who was quite good in his role too).

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Chris Pine gives a career best performance as a sinister charismatic villain in Don’t Worry Darling and he would be an excellent nominee. Haven’t seen everything yet – there are always more than 5 performers who deserve nominations every year. Pine was mesmerizing and matched Pugh (and the underrated Harry Styles, who was quite good in his role too).

Darling, this will go nowhere near the Oscars. Razzies will be its final stop, especially for Wilde who has her directing Razzie locked (and maybe for worst supporting actress for her performance and worst actor for her boyfriend with goofy accents).

FOR YOUR CONSIDERATION

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Tang Wei, Decision To Leave
    Rebecca Hall, Resurrection

James Hong & Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Norma Jeane
    Topics:

Thanks for the joke, I needed to laugh.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Thanks for the joke, I needed to laugh.

The performances in this remarkable movie are outstanding. I can understand why someone with a propagandized mind wouldn’t get it though. Chris Pine is superb in Don’t Worry Darling. Stop being so annoying.

Aziz Sliti
    Topics:

Gleeson

Quan

Whishaw

Dano

Jeremy Strong (i hope)

Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Chris Pine in contention? Bring it on. The more the better

Looks like my previous predix for the Tar fellas, Mark Strong and Julian Flovwr, aint happening. What about Ralph Fiennes then? Is he out as well?

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: Holy Spider
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: Cate Blanchett
    Best Actor: Brendan Fraser
    Best Supporting Actress: Olivia de Leon
    Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan

Norma Jeane
    Topics:

The performances in this remarkable movie are outstanding. I can understand why someone with a propagandized mind wouldn’t get it though. Chris Pine is superb in Don’t Worry Darling. Stop being so annoying.

Chris Pine will receive the Razzies, as will this film that will never be nominated for an Oscar.

kamila
    Topics:

I don’t see Fabelmans being the type of ensemble piece to get a double nomination here, so buzz should tell me that I need to predict Dano, but I just don’t feel it in the air at all.

This is basically where I am. I’ve been pretty tempted to remove Dano but can’t really find a solid case for anyone else just yet. Somehow I also think it hurts him that Williams is going lead. Part of me is kicking myself for getting rid of BTH with 1/100 odds, but I agree with you that the buzz has mostly died. Babylon could play here, but I’m not convinced by Pitt and I think Maguire would have to be awfully good to get attention here. He and Dano are more similar than they are different.

sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

This is basically where I am. I’ve been pretty tempted to remove Dano but can’t really find a solid case for anyone else just yet. Somehow I also think it hurts him that Williams is going lead. Part of me is kicking myself for getting rid of BTH with 1/100 odds, but I agree with you that the buzz has mostly died. Babylon could play here, but I’m not convinced by Pitt and I think Maguire would have to be awfully good to get attention here. He and Dano are more similar than they are different.

This is why I slid Keoghan in. I think he could have landed a nom before Gleeson entered the category, and now may coattail him into double supporting actor nominations since that’s so trendy now. It’s not the most solid case, but I buy that outcome more than Pitt and agree Dano is vulnerable.

I also just realized I completely unintentionally am predicting Banshees to basically copy the Three Billboards nominations and have a similar performance (1 lead, win competitive; 2 supporting, 1 win competitive; screenplay, picture)

wolfali
    Topics:

Fun fact! If Barry Keoghan gets in this year for The Banshees of Inisherin, each of the nominees for the BAFTA rising star award in 2018 will now have at least a nomination for one of the triple crown of acting awards.

Jessie Buckley – Nominated for the Academy Award for Actress in a Supporting Role (The Lost Daughter).

Cynthia Erivo – Nominations for the Academy Award for Actress in a Leading Role (Harriet), Primetime Emmy Award for Lead Actress in a Limited Series/Movie (Genius : Aretha) and a Tony win for Best Leading Actress in a Musical (The Colour Purple).

LaKeith Stanfield – Nominated for the Academy Award for Actor in a Supporting Role (Judas and the Black Messiah).

Letitia Wright – Nominated for the Primetime Emmy Award for Supporting Actress in a Limited Series/Movie (Black Mirror).

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

kamila
    Topics:

This is why I slid Keoghan in. I think he could have landed a nom before Gleeson entered the category, and now may coattail him into double supporting actor nominations since that’s so trendy now. It’s not the most solid case, but I buy that outcome more than Pitt and agree Dano is vulnerable.

I also just realized I completely unintentionally am predicting Banshees to basically copy the Three Billboards nominations and have a similar performance (1 lead, win competitive; 2 supporting, 1 win competitive; screenplay, picture)

I like the idea of putting Keoghan in. It’s actually a little weird I hadn’t thought of him yet since I’m pretty high on Banshees right now. I even have McDonagh in for Director!

To your point about Three Billboards, I was really expecting Banshees to place at TIFF somewhere and was a little surprised it didn’t make it. The reviews have been so consistently good that it’s hard to figure out how it may be weak.

LLLhawks
    Topics:

I’m always gonna advocate for strong comedic performances, and I’m hearing that Keoghan delivers a solid one in Banshees.

I just love movies. And awards.

Bonehead
    Topics:

The best lineup for meme potential would be

Paul Dano
    Ralph Fiennes
    Brendan Gleeson
    Barry Keoghan
    Ke Huy Quan

LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Ke Huy Quan is EEAAO’s strongest chance at an acting win. I really think he’s winning this.

He gave up on acting because Asian actors weren’t getting proper roles in the past. Now an Oscar frontrunner. Truly the comeback of the century. ❤

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 1)’ is closed to new replies.