Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 162 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
5 hours ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel615
kamila
alittle03
  • Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:

I am not sure about Fiennes. It is a genre movie, but his character seems to be very interesting and he is a great actor. Since his last nomination (The English Patient) he could have been nominated for atleast 4 other performances (Sunshine, The Duchess, In Bruges and Grand Budapest Hotel).

I read that leaked script for The Menu. It’s not happening. I know it’s Searchlight but this is more of an Antlers / Ready or Not type thing (*whispers* except those scripts were better).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Don Cheadle’s character in White Noise is plain odd and a bit creepy at times. His character plays on the stereotypical wise, but crazy mentor friend archetype. I would say he has quite a few baity monologues with Driver’s character. I don’t know the extent of how his character will be expanded in the film adaptation for me to be confident in his nomination. Baumbach has been known to give his actors baity monologues (Laura Dern in Marriage Story come to mind). All Driver, Gerwig, and Cheadle have those monologues in the novel.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Am I the only one who thinks Ke Huy Quan is more likely to win than Michelle Yeoh

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Am I the only one who thinks Ke Huy Quan is more likely to win than Michelle Yeoh

No, and I actually think that’s the majority opinion around award forums at the moment. Just based off the nature of the categories, Supporting Actor is less competitive and Quan will probably end up having the showiest performance and the most poignant narrative once the race starts to materialize. Meanwhile Yeoh, who I do think can genuinely win, is facing way more competition in Actress and it is  very hard for genre performances to win in this category. Not to mention Asian actresses are disproportionately less nominated and there’s not even been an Asian Best Actress winner yet. I have Quan winning (sweeping, in fact), but Yeoh is someone I need to see a bit more support for (say, starting at the critics circuit, which I also think is possible).

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Glad to know people agree! Haven’t been on the film forums too much lately so didn’t know which way the winds were blowing LOL.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Glad to know people agree! Haven’t been on the film forums too much lately so didn’t know which way the winds were blowing LOL.

I understand completely! I’ve been keeping track of the film side as we wait for the Emmys next month haha.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think it’s a fair assessment. Quan fits the recent trend of passion picks winning out here and you can argue his competition overall is much weaker than Yeoh’s (The Fabelmans is probably not winning both supporting categories, half of the top contenders are in films that aren’t big factors elsewhere etc) and likewise you can also argue that Yeoh is this year’s critical passion pick who starts off as the frontrunner but ends up being overtaken as consensus revolves around a challenger.

That being said I think BAFTA really has potential this year to shake up both races. I can see a world where Yeoh is the only Oscar nominee to get in there this year (and thus ends up being the only nominee who has made it into each precursor) and likewise I can see a world where someone like say Ben Whishaw makes it in everywhere with Ke Huy Quan and the momentum shifts from there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CarlosEdu
    Topics:

I have the same feeling. I want both to win but I can see just Ke Huy sweeping everything for now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The industry love for Ke Huy Quan is real.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

No, and I actually think that’s the majority opinion around award forums at the moment. Just based off the nature of the categories, Supporting Actor is less competitive and Quan will probably end up having the showiest performance and the most poignant narrative once the race starts to materialize. Meanwhile Yeoh, who I do think can genuinely win, is facing way more competition in Actress and it is very hard for genre performances to win in this category. Not to mention Asian actresses are disproportionately less nominated and there’s not even been an Asian Best Actress winner yet. I have Quan winning (sweeping, in fact), but Yeoh is someone I need to see a bit more support for (say, starting at the critics circuit, which I also think is possible).

And in terms of the writing, Quan’s character is more clearly drawn to be sympathetic. Voters can be brutal when it comes to “difficult” female characters, and Yeoh’s is drawn with a lot of complexity.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

That being said I think BAFTA really has potential this year to shake up both races. I can see a world where Yeoh is the only Oscar nominee to get in there this year (and thus ends up being the only nominee who has made it into each precursor) and likewise I can see a world where someone like say Ben Whishaw makes it in everywhere with Ke Huy Quan and the momentum shifts from there.

Completely agree about more BAFTA craziness to come this season. Whishaw has all the makings of a Kodi Smit-McPhee. I see Yeoh and Quan reliably showing up everywhere right now.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    NevadaR
    Topics:

Whishaw will definitely get that BAFTA nom. I think he will be top 3. If not then his performance is exactly what the jury would go for. I struggle to see him missing here.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I see Yeoh and Quan reliably showing up everywhere right now.

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if even Hsu also shows up everywhere. If she does well with the critics associations I can see her making it in at the Globes à la Buckley and I think her performance is one the jury at BAFTA would welcome with open arms.

SAG is obviously the hurdle considering she’s unknown but if they end up embracing the film (which I think is quite possible) then why not?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Would being relativity unknown be that much of hurdle though, considering she is already a SAG winner (albeit as part an ensemble)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JROCK1772
    Topics:

Why are Mortensen and Farrell both in the prediction center for this category for Thirteen Days? They’re both leads.

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.