Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 495 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Evan
FreemanGriffin
crabbie

• juniperberry
    Topics:

One thing that sticked to me the most is his line regarding, “…this is how I fight.” That line speaks to me on a personal level; he’s kind of like the emotional revelation of the movie, and he as well is the key to Michelle’s character journey and the film’s thesis. Not sure how much of that is due to the writing, but I guess you need talent to bring out something that was just written on a piece of paper. I also find it impressive how he portrays different versions of Waymon; each version feels believable as people living different kind of lives, from the way they talk, move, and their presence. He’s currently my favourite contender in supporting actor, but I am not sure if that will stay the same once I get to see Banshees. EDIT: In short, I think what Michelle managed to accomplish in the movie (in terms of portrayal and emotional truth of the character), Quan’s accomplishment is comparable, and he did that with less screentime.

This!

And also the line “So, even though you have broken my heart yet again, I wanted to say, in another life, I would have really liked just doing laundry and taxes with you” is just perfect synergy between writing and acting. People were whispering ‘awww’ in the theater.

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, watching The Fabelmans, I think that crazy grandpa (strangely deemed to be one of the top 5 of this race) who appears in just three short scenes while abusing and motivating the young and gay Spielberg deserves to be nominated over a much substantial role of Daddy Dano.

He is the only one who’s performance that is deserving to be called “Oscar-worthy”, it’s understated and tender fatherly role.

I found it criminal to see many pundits predicting Annoying Goofy Wig or Crazy Cameo Grandpa to be nominated instead of Dano.

MD
    Topics:

Darling, watching The Fabelmans, I think that crazy grandpa (strangely deemed to be one of the top 5 of this race) who appears in just three short scenes while abusing and motivating the young and gay Spielberg deserves to be nominated over a much substantial role of Daddy Dano. He is the only one who’s performance that is deserving to be called “Oscar-worthy”, it’s understated and tender fatherly role. I found it criminal to see many pundits predicting Annoying Goofy Wig or Crazy Cameo Grandpa to be nominated instead of Dano.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

I feel like Ke Huy Quan is the strongest acting contender in any category rn.

Audrey Lee
    Topics:

Brad Pitt is being nominated.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

K Olivia
    Topics:

Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
    Brian Tyree Henry, Causeway
    Judd Hirsch, The Fablemans
    Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Mark Rylance, Bones and All

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Paul Dano is excellent as the scientist dad in The Fabelmans. I think he will get a nomination and he is quite good. I like several other performances, especially Paul Keoghan in The Banshees of Inersherin but I suspect Dano will land a nomination.

Judd Hirsch is ATROCIOUS – truly awful in his 4 or 5 minute role – my least favorite five minutes of the entire movie. Please, academy, leave this worthless piece of over-acting off the nominees list.

The best supporting male performance in the film is actually Sam Rechner as “golden boy” bully Logan Hall, Sam’s high school antagonist – the scene in the school hallway was phenomenally well acted.

LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Just throw the key, Mr. Ke is so winning this. No one’s touching him when it comes to acclaim and narrative. 💕

Barbra Please
    Topics:

Darling, if wins, Ke Huy Quan will be one of the finest winners ever in this category.

Bonehead
    Topics:

Personal Lineup

1. Ke Huy Quan – Everything Everywhere All at Once
    2. Mark Rylance – Bones and All 
    3. Barry Keoghan – The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. Paul Dano – The Fabelmans
    5. Brian Tyree Henry – Causeway 

Still on my watchlist: Women Talking, White Noise, The Whale, The Inspection, Living, Babylon, and Empire of Light 

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

nkb325
    Topics:

My personal top 5

1. Ke Huy Quan (EEAAO)
    2. John Boyega (The Woman King)
    3. Lucas Bravo (Ticket to Paradise)
    4. Jeremy Strong (Armageddon Time)
    5. Brandon Perea (Nope)

My weakest category so far this year, although I love all of the top 3. Still yet to see Bones and All, Babylob, Empire of Light, or Causeway

nkb325
    Topics:

This!

And also the line “So, even though you have broken my heart yet again, I wanted to say, in another life, I would have really liked just doing laundry and taxes with you” is just perfect synergy between writing and acting. People were whispering ‘awww’ in the theater.

I generally like to watch as many of the major oscar contenders as I can so I’m seeing most of what voters are seeing. Last year, even though the movie as a whole was not my favorite movie of the year, there was one movie scene that I would watch online again and again just to cry, and it was the truck scene in a little movie called CODA. This year, it’s the above scene. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ idk I just think in this modern internet age there’s something to that.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Ke Huy Quan is gonna sweep this race like rent is due.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 495 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actor (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.