Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 1)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 149 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
Manav
Setia_Yasmine..
FEFFO
  • Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Winners: 2010: Helena Bonham Carter, The King’s Speech 2011: Octavia Spencer, The Help 2012: Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables 2013: Lupita Nyong’o, 12 Years A Slave 2014: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood 2015: Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs 2016: Naomie Harris, Moonlight 2017: Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird 2018: Rachel Weisz, The Favourite 2019: Florence Pugh, Little Women

Most people don’t know but king speech is critically acclaimed with 88 metascore lol it only gets hate for the picture and director win , personally I would give the movie like coda acting but never directing or screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sab227
    Topics:

I just watched Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness and it wa pretty great especially Elizabeth Olsen. She somehow managed to top her Performance in Wandavision which I didn’t think was possible and yet she managed to do it. She had such great material and had lots of epic moments. Even when she is making these terrible decisions and hurting innocent people I still feel pity and Sadness for Wanda and that’s a testament to Elizabeth Olsens magnetic Performance. She managed to simultaneously be scary and heartbreaking and she deserves recognition and to be remembered come awards season especially at the Oscar’s where they should embrace more performances like hers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

She is gonna compete against someone that has the biggest narrative that is hard to resist for voters and the academy likes to make history

Gladstone?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

Gladstone?

That’s my guess. My fear (and loathing) is that if Michelle Yeoh crashes through that barrier, will that be enough to satisfy their tokenism? Gach I’m so jaded.

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

That’s my guess. My fear (and loathing) is that if Michelle Yeoh crashes through that barrier, will that be enough to satisfy their tokenism? Gach I’m so jaded.

I think Michelle is undeniable on her role, had we been already up to the time we wouldn’t really be discussing the historical potential of her win. She would win period. But I think that it is necessary in that specific category, someone has to break that barrier to pave the way for the others and if it’s her for that performance I’ll be more than happy. Regarding Gladstone I wanna wait until I see her performance, haven’t really heard of her before (my fault) but I agree on the potential of her win, historically speaking, I just hope she’s good enough to justify the preference against a veteran like Michelle Williams on such a baiting role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I think Michelle is undeniable on her role, had we been already up to the time we wouldn’t really be discussing the historical potential of her win. She would win period. But I think that it is necessary in that specific category, someone has to break that barrier to pave the way for the others and if it’s her for that performance I’ll be more than happy. Regarding Gladstone I wanna wait until I see her performance, haven’t really heard of her before (my fault) but I agree on the potential of her win, historically speaking, I just hope she’s good enough to justify the preference against a veteran like Michelle Williams on such a baiting role.

Gladstone yep plus the academy loves to make history see minari and coda actors wins so she just needs critics support and she could win BAFTA and then the Oscar plus her vehicle is politically relevant but we will see

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I mean in 2020

There were many history making achievements

The first female of color director winner , the first Korean winner , the first British black winner ..etc

Even in 2021

The first deaf man winner

The first afro Latina winner

Ampas loves to makes history that’s how they worked

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Where I am now- I think it more likely than not that Scorsese’s Killers of the Flower Moon will be pushed back a year, which is the only reason I’m no longer predicting Lily Gladstone (but I’ll add her back in if it’s confirmed that Scorsese’s film will be eligible), and I’ve heard several people say that Jean Smart’s Hedda Hopper-like role in Babylon is VERY small so for now, I’m no longer predicting her:

1. Michelle Williams- The Fabelmans
    2. Jessie Buckley- Women Talking
    3. Hong Chau- The Whale
    4. Patricia Clarkson- She Said
    5. Audra McDonald- Rustin

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luke Dias
    Topics:

Not truly predicting anyone until we actually see the movies. Here are my “predictions”/hopes:

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Hong Chau (The Whale)
    Greta Gerwig (White Noise)
    Lily Gladstone (Killers of the Flower Moon)
    Dakota Johnson (Cha Cha Real Smooth)
    WIN: Michelle Williams (The Fabelmans)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Curious about the Hong Chau predictions over Sadie Sink for The Whale. Is it just that she’s a more established actress? Sadie’s role seems a lot showier from the synopsis; I think she could have a real shot.

FYC:
    That's Where I Am by Maggie Rogers - Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Solo Performance, Best Music Video, Best Country Song, Best Melodic Rap Performance, Best Traditional R&B Performance, Best Country Solo Performance, Best Rap Solo Performance, Best Metal Performance, Best Rock Song, Best American Roots Performance

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Curious about the Hong Chau predictions over Sadie Sink for The Whale. Is it just that she’s a more established actress? Sadie’s role seems a lot showier from the synopsis; I think she could have a real shot.

It’s just a guess at this point since I haven’t seen the films or read any reviews but as of now I’m predicting Hong Chau over Sadie Sink in part because she’s a more established actor and in part because she’s also in two other movies this year that might get some awards attention— The Menu and Showing Up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    babypook
    Topics:

I mean in 2020

There were many history making achievements

The first female of color director winner , the first Korean winner , the first British black winner ..etc

Even in 2021

The first deaf man winner

The first afro Latina winner

Ampas loves to makes history that’s how they worked

Wonderful to contemplate. Scorsese’s film if it’s delayed a year might be terrific timing for Lily.

The Sunne in Splendour.
    I prefer my roses white

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    silvestre
    Topics:

The Certain Women face-off would sure be the most interesting race next year, but… If Smart’s role is as juicy as it seems and Babylon doesn’t First Man its way out of the race, this is hers to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    George Papakostas
    Topics:

Does anybody know if Cate Blanchett is in James Gray´s Armageddon Time? I remember James saying that Cate would have a supporting role and she would give an incredible speech as Donald Trump´s sister!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

Any biopic transformative Oscar bait performance this year that is guaranteed a win?

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 149 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.