Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 209 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
16 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
kamila
Setia_Yasmine..
  • Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

hmmm and look who suddenly gets a rising star award announcement:

https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/middleburg-festival-lineup-2022-the-whale-glass-onion-stephanie-hsu-brendan-fraser-1235380532/

¯_(ツ)_/¯

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Maybe I’m just traumatized from last year, but with Dench getting in over Balfe, I’m never gonna underestimate the power of a veteran namecheck. Curtis could def get in (and even possibly, though not probably, over Hsu)

Curtis isn’t really comparable to Dench, though. I don’t think you can be a namecheck if you’ve never been nominated before.

FYC: The Bear (Ayo Edebiri) Industry (Marisa Abela) OMITB (Jayne Houdyshell) Physical (Rose Byrne) WWDITS (Natasia Demetriou)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    OscarBait
    Topics:

How is Li Jun Li still not in the predictions center? They released character posters for her and Jean Smart, and yet it’s Smart and Olivia Wilde in the predictions center?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    kamila
    Topics:

How is Li Jun Li still not in the predictions center? They released character posters for her and Jean Smart, and yet it’s Smart and Olivia Wilde in the predictions center?

I rubbed my eyes a few times when I saw that Calva had finally been added to lead. Might be months at this rate…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really don’t see why Jamie Lee Curtis would get nominated unless Everything Everywhere All at Once over-performs like The Power of the Dog did and she gets a coattail supporting nomination along with Hsu. She’s not going to get a lot of no.1 votes by herself and she doesn’t even have half as many critical citations as Hsu does. The fact that she’s even being predicted to win by some awards pundits feels comical to me and almost like trolling considering some of them aren’t even predicting either Quan or Yeoh who are quite literally at the centre of the film, both literally and narratively, to get nominated.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bonehead
    Topics:

=The fact that [JLC]’s even being predicted to win by some awards pundits feels comical to me and almost like trolling considering some of them aren’t even predicting either Quan or Yeoh who are quite literally at the centre of the film, both literally and narratively, to get nominated.

I doubt that they’re trolling and rather that they genuinely believe that EEAAO isn’t going to appeal to the Academy that much.

Jamie Lee Curtis was majorly important to the film’s production, not just as a performer. The Daniels state in the DVD commentary that it was JLC who inspired everyone else on the cast and crew to take the film seriously. Heck, she even ran the crew warm-ups.

There’s a day where EEAAO maxes out at Jamie Lee Curtis and maybe an Editing nom if they really don’t want to go for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Awards pundits predicting that voters don’t at all take to the film is fine (and perfectly plausible at this stage). But I’m sorry predicting that the only major white actor in an ensemble of a film, one that has been noted for its landmark representation, gets in as the film’s sole acting nominee feels really bizarre to me. Does one really think after the #OscarsSoWhite backlash these past few years (where situations as the only creatives getting nominated for films that have similarly been noted for their landmark representation such as Straight Outta Compton were the small number of caucasian creatives involved) that voters will want a similar situation to occur with this film? I think if anything there may be some voters in the academy who will be wary of checking off Curtis, even those who take to the film strongly, due to potentially troublesome optics.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Awards pundits predicting that voters don’t at all take to the film is fine (and perfectly plausible at this stage). But I’m sorry predicting that the only major white actor in an ensemble of a film, one that has been noted for its landmark representation, gets in as the film’s sole acting nominee feels really bizarre to me.

This SNL sketch forever relevant

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Bonehead
    Topics:

predicting that the only major white actor in an ensemble of a film, one that has been noted for its landmark representation, gets in as the film’s sole acting nominee feels really bizarre to me. Does one really think after the #OscarsSoWhite backlash these past few years… that voters will want a similar situation to occur with this film? I think if anything there may be some voters in the academy who will be wary of checking off Curtis, even those who take to the film strongly, due to potentially troublesome optics.

How can we be so certain that the Academy, whose acting nominees last season were 80% white, is all that concerned about diversity when making their nominee decisions?

Stephanie Hsu won’t get nominated over JLC because she’s asian. Stephanie Hsu will get nominated because they consider her’s the stronger performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Curtis isn’t really comparable to Dench, though. I don’t think you can be a namecheck if you’ve never been nominated before.

Maybe maybe not. The point still stands about her maybe getting in over Hsu because she’s a respected vet tho. Arguably, what happened with Dench last year was the voters gave her a farewell nom. So Curtis not being a nominee is maybe actually to her advantage, as it might catalyze some voters to nominate her since they may never have another chance to (not because she’s old like Dench, but because she doesn’t do awards movies).

Disclaimer: I am totally not predicting this lol. I think Hsu being in a Picture, Director, Actress, Supporting Actor, Original Screenplay, and various technical potential winner almost secures her, considering her performance is terrific and Oscar-worthy. I have her in third or fourth. But, I do still think there’s a universe where this happens, because, well, we’ve seen a similar occurrence.

Grammys FYC:

"Glimpse of Us" - Joji

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

LOL a day where EEAAO only gets Jamie Lee Curtis as an acting nomination when the film features so many Asian performances is a dystopian reality. EEAAO would sooner get shut out at acting than ONLY get Jamie Lee Curtis in.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wallflower
    Topics:

EEAAO is happening in lead actress, picture, original screenplay and a ton of technical categories, maybe supporting actor.I don’t think the supporting actresses stand a chance when Women talking alone has at least 2 out of the 3 women bound to happen + someone from Babylon + someone from the whale + if the woman king over performs I can see one of the young actresses getting in given the praise they’ve already received.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Hawk
    Topics:

I would love for Jamie Lee Curtis to finally get an Oscar nomination, but if somehow she gets in and Stephanie Hsu doesn’t I’m going to be pretty pissed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Lydia 3rd Oscar TAR
    Topics:

Frontrunners:
    Claire Foy

Next in line:
    Stephanie Hsu
    Jessie Buckley
    Hong Chau
    Nina Hoss
    Lanshana Lynch
    Angela Bassett
    Samantha Morton

Dark horses:
    Rooney Mara
    Sadie Sink
    Kerry Condon

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: The Way of The Wind
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: TAR
    Best Actor: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actress: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actor: Poor Things

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    LAINELAVIGNE
    Topics:

Stephanie Hsu to be honored by Middleburg Film Festival wow. Sis is coming to get that oscar nomination ❤

ReplyCopy URL
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 209 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.