Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
wolfali
Rachel615

• CarlosEdu
    Topics:

Buckley being #1 in the odds doesn’t make any sense either, when her co-star got better reviews and was much more singled out.

Btw I don’t know if it’s just me but I’m predicting Claire getting a nomination without Jessie. I know both have great reviews but when a movie has this kind of cast (with all in supporting categories), usually only one get the nomination and one is snubbed, like Belfast (Jamie and Hinds, Caitroina and Dench) and Spotlight (Keaton and Ruffallo), and Supporting Actress is very stacked too, so seeing that Foy has better reviews than Buckley I can see this situation happening with them.

moonshineandmollyxo
    Topics:

I don’t understand the consistent mention of “people just don’t want her to make the cut”. In awards circles she’s been treated as the frontrunner for BA for months and now everyone assumes she could be a frontrunner for Supporting. Babylon has been treated as the frontrunner for Best Picture for months. Margot sight unseen is consistently listed in everybody’s prediction list and has been for months. I don’t understand why people are acting like she’s some underdog who people are being mean to – literally just because an argument is presented that contradicts all these assumptions that have been made so far.

A year ago everyone was saying Amsterdam would get 11 Oscar nominations and win Best SAG Ensemble based on the cast alone. Before that Margot was a shoo-in to win Best Supporting for Once Upon a Time. Did she get nominated for it at the Oscars? No, she got in for Bombshell.

People have been wrong before with their assumptions. Multiple times.

estrelas
    Topics:

Does anyone know whether Robbie is lead or supporting in Amsterdam?

I think she’s borderline but more inclined to supporting than lead.

wolfali
    Topics:

This argument that Babylon needs to make millions is kind of pointless when last year we had West Side Story, a late breaker with no Festival screening and still did good at the Oscars with 7 nods and 1 win and got multiple GG, CC and BAFTA nods and wins in all of them. Babylon reminds me a lot of WSS. They won’t win big but the industry will care to at least watch, I mean, a Chazelle film about 20’s Hollywood with Robbie and Pitt, seems like a no brainer. Avatar is gonna kill it at the Box Office, no one can deny it, but let’s remember WSS went against Encanto and Spider Man and still made it at the Oscars.

West Side Story was one of the most critically acclaimed movies of 2021.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Rachel615
    Topics:

Btw I don’t know if it’s just me but I’m predicting Claire getting a nomination without Jessie. I know both have great reviews but when a movie has this kind of cast (with all in supporting categories), usually only one get the nomination and one is snubbed, like Belfast (Jamie and Hinds, Caitroina and Dench) and Spotlight (Keaton and Ruffallo), and Supporting Actress is very stacked too, so seeing that Foy has better reviews than Buckley I can see this situation happening with them.

I agree that it’s more likely that one and not both Buckley and Foy will be nominated, and agree that Foy had more raves than Buckley, but both had strong reviews and all voters don’t base their votes solely on reviews or even on performance. Buckley’s career is extremely hot right now. Within the last year and a half alone she’s been nominated for an Oscar for her film work in The Lost Daughter, won an Olivier for her stage work in Cabaret, and been shortlisted for the Mercury Prize for her music work on her album with Bernard Butler AND in the same time period she’s also played Juliet opposite Josh O’Connor’s Romeo in a widely praised television production, starred in Alex Garland’s horror movie, Men, and is currently filming another film with Olivia Colman, Wicked Little Letters.  Yes, Foy has more great reviews for Women Talking, but it’s not crazy to think that Buckley’s chances for a nomination are as strong or stronger than Foy’s.

Anna Delvey
    Topics:

I think she’s borderline but more inclined to supporting than lead.

Thanks! Just curious whether that dictates whether she goes lead or supporting for Amsterdam — though it shouldn’t since that movie is obvs not happening.

kamila
    Topics:

I agree that it’s more likely that one and not both Buckley and Foy will be nominated, and agree that Foy had more raves than Buckley, but both had strong reviews and all voters don’t base their votes solely on reviews or even on performance. Buckley’s career is extremely hot right now. Within the last year and a half alone she’s been nominated for an Oscar for her film work in The Lost Daughter, won an Olivier for her stage work in Cabaret, and been shortlisted for the Mercury Prize for her music work on her album with Bernard Butler AND in the same time period she’s also played Juliet opposite Josh O’Connor’s Romeo in a widely praised television production, starred in Alex Garland’s horror movie, Men, and is currently filming another film with Olivia Colman, Wicked Little Letters. Yes, Foy has more great reviews for Women Talking, but it’s not crazy to think that Buckley’s chances for a nomination are as strong or stronger than Foy’s.

Foy/Buckley is truly an interesting matchup.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Buckley is more appreciated with BAFTA, but a slight unknown will be how much of her previous work was seen and appreciated stateside. I don’t take the fact that she was able to get into last year’s Supporting lineup lightly, especially since people had the option to namecheck actresses that had consistently shown up all season (Balfe, Negga) or go for a big name in a film that was already gaining steam around nominations (Blanchett). Men didn’t get great reviews and yet that might be the only other thing some voters have seen her in.

Meanwhile Foy has not a ton of momentum from her own projects as of late, but she was on one of the most watched dramas of the last decade with massive visibility on Netflix both when her seasons were airing and also now. She has the baitier role and I have high stock on her, but she could be fighting for a “welcome to the show” nomination as an actress that hasn’t fully made the big transition from TV to film. I still say she comfortably gets in, but there could be challenges ahead for the win.

laslo
    Topics:

I find it funny and somewhat pathetic how some Twitter “critics” are predicting that Robbie will easily take Supporting Actress. I thought she would have enough steam to take Best Actress, with a good performance in a high pedigree film and an incessant campaign. Babylon skipping festivals was the first blow in her path. With each new performance that appears at festivals and earns its acclaim, Robbie loses a little breath. I thought the trailer was fantastic but it seems that those involved are not so sure about the project they have in their hands.
    None of us have seen the movie yet but I highly doubt they’ve conditioned the most charismatic character in the movie just to support the narrative. I think she’ll have enough story focus to fall between the two categories, leaning more towards Leading, but that’s just a guess, we’ll have to wait and see. Placing Williams in Lead was a show of confidence in The Fabelmans on Universal’s part. You may disagree but I think Robbie in Supporting is going to show a lack of conviction by Paramount in the material they have to campaign.
    Anyway, if a certain twitter critic is on one side, I’m automatically on the other. Let’s go Claire Foy!

MysticMagix
    Topics:

Has anyone though about if maybe babylon is panned and just a bad movie?

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Rachel615
    Topics:

Men didn’t get great reviews and yet that might be the only other thing some voters have seen her in.

Yes but Buckley’s personal reviews in Men, which I saw,  were deservedly excellent.

FWIW, I still have both Foy and Buckley getting in, but will probably move one out if Robbie and/or Mulligan get really strong reviews and are confirmed in Supporting.

As for Foy and Buckley, I’ll be watching to see which, if either, gets the most invitations for things like roundtables, Variety Actors on Actors interviews, film festival tributes, SNL hosting gigs, etc.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

West Side Story was one of the most critically acclaimed movies of 2021.

Yeah, and Babylon hasn’t been released yet so we don’t now if it’ll be acclaimed or not. Being a late contender does not mean the film is bad or something.

Has anyone though about if maybe babylon is panned and just a bad movie?

It could be, just like it could be well recieved.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

Yes but Buckley’s personal reviews in Men, which I saw, were deservedly excellent. FWIW, I still have both Foy and Buckley getting in, but will probably move one out if Robbie and/or Mulligan get really strong reviews and are confirmed in Supporting. As for Foy and Buckley, I’ll be watching to see which, if either, gets the most invitations for things like roundtables, Variety Actors on Actors interviews, film festival tributes, SNL hosting gigs, etc.

from froy and buckley i will be seeing whom getting nominated in critics more

Kubrick
    Topics:

I agree that it’s more likely that one and not both Buckley and Foy will be nominated, and agree that Foy had more raves than Buckley, but both had strong reviews and all voters don’t base their votes solely on reviews or even on performance. Buckley’s career is extremely hot right now. Within the last year and a half alone she’s been nominated for an Oscar for her film work in The Lost Daughter, won an Olivier for her stage work in Cabaret, and been shortlisted for the Mercury Prize for her music work on her album with Bernard Butler AND in the same time period she’s also played Juliet opposite Josh O’Connor’s Romeo in a widely praised television production, starred in Alex Garland’s horror movie, Men, and is currently filming another film with Olivia Colman, Wicked Little Letters. Yes, Foy has more great reviews for Women Talking, but it’s not crazy to think that Buckley’s chances for a nomination are as strong or stronger than Foy’s.

That performance was one for the ages, and I am hoping that production migrates over to NY at some point.  I was truly gutted.  Easily one of the best, if not THE best stage performance I have ever seen in a theatre.

Back on topic: I suspect Buckley and Foy both make it in, but far too soon to tell.  Also not buying the Robbie buzz at this juncture.

IG: @HomoCinephile

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

foy and buckley sounds more like the favourite rather than spotlight and belfast

kamila
    Topics:

I’m still kind of confused about Mulligan if she does end up in Supporting. If reception to the film is just so-so and/or other supporting actresses have big moments, it seems like there’s still a risk that they all get edged out. Mulligan is a big name and she can definitely rise above the ensemble in voting, but I’m curious to see what people’s thoughts are after the premiere.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.