Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
wolfali
Rachel615

• LA26
    Topics:

Netflix confirmed to Variety that Greta Gerwig will campaign in the supporting actress category for White Noise: https://variety.com/2022/awards/awards/white-noise-oscars-netflix-noah-baumbach-adam-driver-greta-gerwig-1235390331/

K Olivia
    Topics:

I doubt most Academy viewers have as much of a short memory. Ofc Mulligan won’t get nominated because of any previous role but it’s somewhat ignorant to say that her previous recent nomination of just two years won’t hold even a bit of value especially when Promising Young Woman won an Oscar and was a strong contender for Best Picture. Not to mention the theme similarities between PYM and She Said can’t be missed.

The original post stated Mulligan could ‘win’ (emphasis on win) for She Said based on her PYM loss. The discussion isn’t about whether or not Mulligan will be nominated again. It’s about the likelihood of her being out front because of a previous losing role. I gave my “singular take” as to why that probably won’t happen & I stick by it: PYM is no longer in the cultural consciousness. Voters won’t care about that movie when or if she’s in contention.

Also, it’s funny that you bring up the similarities because she didn’t win the last time. So why would a comparable film (though that’s arguably false) be any different?

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Honey
    Topics:

I’m pretty sure Mulligan is not top of mind when it comes to overdue Oscars. I’d still bet on Claire Foy beating Mulligan if Mulligan somehow went supporting. Didn’t this woman win an Emmy for a 2 minute phone call performance like 2 years ago and obviously swept precursors for The Crown when she was the lead.

K Olivia
    Topics:

So I never suggested that Mulligan would win for She Said because of her previous loss. What I said was that your original post is strictly your opinion. You don’t know any voters and you don’t know most people. None of us know “most people”

I never said you did. In fact, Setia Yasmine Khalil made the original post:

i feel like they are gonna give it to Carey mulligan as “a sorry prize” for her for not winning for promising young woman even if she said is mid that’s how the academy works

That’s why it’s important to read each post thoroughly before responding. Also, who’s disputing what an opinion is? Clearly everyone on this forum has one including you.

wolfali
    Topics:

I think how competitive Mulligan would be in supporting would depend on how big a contender She Said is in the end. This could easily become a place to award it if it ends up being in the Best Picture ten but if it only ends up being a screenplay + supporting actress contender then that narrative doesn’t really hold up.

I currently have Foy in first because Women Talking feels win competitive in Picture and I expect her to do well with the critics but I wonder if Kerry Condon could be a sleeper. I’m starting to get Yuh-jung Youn vibes from her.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Rachel615
    Topics:

IF She Said makes it into Best Picture and IF Mulligan runs in Supporting (right now, two BIG ifs), I think she’s almost a lock for a nomination, in part because people who saw L.A. advance screenings have very strongly praised her performance, and in part because of her prior BODY of work (not just Promising Young Woman).

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

I think how competitive Mulligan would be in supporting would depend on how big a contender She Said is in the end. This could easily become a place to award it if it ends up being in the Best Picture ten but if it only ends up being a screenplay + supporting actress contender then that narrative doesn’t really hold up. I currently have Foy in first because Women Talking feels win competitive in Picture and I expect her to do well with the critics but I wonder if Kerry Condon could be a sleeper. I’m starting to get Yuh-jung Youn vibes from her.

Condon could be the consolation prize for Banshees if it isn’t winning screenplay or lead acting

CarlosEdu
    Topics:

I think how competitive Mulligan would be in supporting would depend on how big a contender She Said is in the end. This could easily become a place to award it if it ends up being in the Best Picture ten but if it only ends up being a screenplay + supporting actress contender then that narrative doesn’t really hold up. I currently have Foy in first because Women Talking feels win competitive in Picture and I expect her to do well with the critics but I wonder if Kerry Condon could be a sleeper. I’m starting to get Yuh-jung Youn vibes from her.

Kerry really could surprise here. I didn’t see the movie yet but everbody that saw the movie said her perfomance is great and it’s a big role in the movie, even some of them think she has a better perfomance than Gleeson.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

UmOkaaayyyyy
    Topics:

Answering Rachel 615 above, I saw “Tar” in Century City, LA last night… And PS~ I moved my post to Best Actress. I totally put it in the wrong thread. lol

laslo
    Topics:

Answering Rachel 615 above, I saw “Tar” in Century City, LA last night… And PS~ I moved my post to Best Actress. I totally put it in the wrong thread. lol

I’ll see it tomorrow at the Grove. I don’t like these limited theatrical windows that are only at the Grove/Century City. I wanted to experience TÁR for the first time at the Landmark, but I’m very impatient and soon I’ll have to go back to France and TÁR won’t be released until February next year there. Either way, I have high expectations for Cate Blanchett and Nina Hoss.

Rachel615
    Topics:

For those that have seen Tar, what did you think about Nina Foss and her Oscar chances? I think she’s one of our greatest actresses and that while she had some strong moments here, I felt that her talents weren’t sufficiently utilized. I’m not saying she was “wasted,” but I was disappointed that there wasn’t more to her role. I’m not confident that she’ll be nominated.

Brayfers
    Topics:

Letterboxd: Brayfers

!! EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE - OUT NOW !!

give Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, & Stephanie Hsu their Oscars now !!

FYC:
    - Severance
    - Euphoria
    - Stranger Things
    - Hacks
    - Abbott Elementary
    - House of the Dragon

kamila
    Topics:

For those that have seen Tar, what did you think about Nina Foss and her Oscar chances? I think she’s one of our greatest actresses and that while she had some strong moments here, I felt that her talents weren’t sufficiently utilized. I’m not saying she was “wasted,” but I was disappointed that there wasn’t more to her role. I’m not confident that she’ll be nominated.

It’s not the meatiest Supporting performance for sure and I’m less confident than I was. The film is all Blanchett all of the time, but Hoss gets an incredible amount accomplished in her unspoken parts of the film for the benefit of Cate’s character in addition to her spoken parts. I give her a lot of credit for that. I think BAFTA would too but it would be better if she could show up somewhere else early. The Globes seem like a very friendly awards body for TAR and she could make it in there.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.