Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Setia_Yasmine..
wolfali
Rachel615

• kamila
    Topics:

I think there will be vocal backlash if JLC starts out getting awards attention and Hsu gets ignored.

Kins_le
    Topics:

I think there will be vocal backlash if JLC starts out getting awards attention and Hsu gets ignored.

The academy does not care about such things

sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Sorry, but I have to rant: this manufactured awards buzz for Curtis from pundits over Hsu is absolutely infuriating. Hsu is the one, aside from Quan, who has the most acclaim in the supporting cast (from both audiences and critics) and is the one whose character has more screentime, narrative relevance, and emotional/scene-stealing/baity scenes. It’s ridiculous how much Hsu is dismissed and has hurdles projected onto her despite having the right performance in the right film in a category that adores scenery-chewing supporting roles, in favor of someone whose character is extremely unconventional (in regards to what the Academy nominates) comic relief and is pushed only because of her overdue status. I quite enjoyed her performance, but it’s a travesty how much awards coverage she’s getting over Hsu (the main supporting actress of the film), whom is deemed an impossibility despite the increasingly scattered nature of this category beyond Foy and Buckley. These same pundits will force Curtis to a nomination and then complain about Hsu being snubbed on nomination day. I know Clayton Davis is overwhelmingly unqualified at his job (he currently has Foy at 8th and Smart at 20th???), but he has the advantage of writing for a major awards trade that garners the right attention and can give contenders a boost, so it’s upsetting that he and so many pundits are so high on EEAAO doing well but consider Hsu a long-shot pipe dream, despite having considerable enough power to make sure she makes it, or at least makes it close. I wouldn’t mind if Curtis gets in, but only if she gets in *with* Hsu, not instead of.

Just…all of this.Yes.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Kins_le
    Topics:

Even this would bother me though. JLC is a legend, yes, but she does not need a nomination for this. Not when you have people like Mbedu, Lunch, etc. you could get in instead.

Lunch 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣😂

Rachel615
    Topics:

I saw She Said tonight and REALLY liked the movie but now that I’ve actually seen the film, I thought I’d weigh in with my view that Carey Mulligan is a co-lead and while she may well run in Supporting, I think that would probably be category fraud. (While not dispositive of anything, I thought it interesting that in the credits, not only is Mulligan top-billed, but I’m fairly sure that she’s also the only actor listed as having an “assistant” and the only actor identified as having her own hair and make-up artists— sorry Zoe.)

While I strongly feel that She Said deserves a SAG ensemble nomination, and believe that both Samantha Morton and Jennifer Ehle are just terrific, I’m unsure that either one has enough screen time to get a Supporting nomination, EVEN IF Mulligan isn’t run in Supporting. But both have very powerful scenes and make major, impactful contributions.

laslo
    Topics:

Yeah, it does seem likelier than it did a month ago and I concede that the buzz and the campaigning from Curtis is there. However, I still feel Hsu ultimately makes it in at the Oscars, even if she flops at the precursors. If the enormously positive response to EEAAO and applause for Hsu’s name during the credits at the Academy screening is any indication, I don’t see how an Academy that is theoretically willing to max the film out on multiple nominations (including Curtis) leaves Hsu out of the love. Hsu is going to all the screenings, too, and I think she’s being underestimated as a potential runner-up at the critics awards, which can help keep her afloat. She feels a lot like Bakalova; a critics-backed pick that does well at the circuit and makes it everywhere on the strength of and passion for her performance. Also, this category is a mess after the Women Talking pair and it only benefits Hsu to be in a film that is expected to not only do well, but is win-competitive for Best Picture, two other acting categories, Editing, and Screenplay. If both Hsu and Curtis are nominated in the end, I think it’s possible the love for Hsu was stronger but less obvious and that Curtis was the one playing catch-up all along. I’m waiting for SAG and BAFTA to chime in, but I still maintain Hsu is stronger until proven otherwise. Curtis won’t be the first or last heavy campaigner or heavily pushed contender to miss out, especially to internal competition.

Yeah, I also feel like Hsu has the upper hand at the moment. But as I said before, I find it almost impossible to have Foy + Buckley + Hsu + Curtis. And since Women Talking is basically only a real player in Supporting Actress acting-wise, while EEAAO is also strong in Best Actress and Supporting Actor, I think either Hsu or Curtis will be the snub. If there is any justice in this world, Hsu will be the one to be nominated. But I’ll also wait for the SAG to have a more concrete opinion, knowing that with Curtis’ long career in the industry there is a possibility that she will be nominated in Hsu’s place, even with a less impressive performance. Something vaguely comparable to what happened with Dench and Balfe some months ago.

ChocolateNomad
    Topics:

have Foy + Buckley + Hsu + Curtis. And since Women Talking is basically only a real player in Supporting Actress acting-wise, while EEAAO is also strong in Best Actress and Supporting Actor, I think either Hsu or Curtis will be the snub. If there is any justice in this world, Hsu will be the one to be nominated. But I’ll also wait for the SAG to have a more concrete opinion, knowing that with Curtis’ long career in the industry there is a possibility that she will be nominated in Hsu’s place, even with a less impressive performance. Something vaguely comparable to what happened with Dench and Balfe some months ago.

On the Dench and Balfe analogy though, I don’t know if Curtis’ career has carried the same prestige and gravitas that Dench has with her’s.

laslo
    Topics:

On the Dench and Balfe analogy though, I don’t know if Curtis’ career has carried the same prestige and gravitas that Dench has with her’s.

Yes, that’s why I wrote “vaguely” and put it in bold. But even without the same level of respect that Dench has, Curtis still has a long career and has contributed to the careers of several members of the Academy and is friends with big names in the industry. I think there would be some goodwill for an actress with her legacy.

Bonehead
    Topics:

Dench making it in over Balfe was a good lesson on age demographics

Belfast appeals more to older folks, so in retrospect it makes sense that Dench was the one to make it in. Academy members in their 60’s and older who liked the movie the most probably found her performance/character more relatable, which gave her the edge.

Conversely, EEAAO appeals to young folks who find Hsu relatable.

It might be safe to assume that most members voting for EEAAO in Picture are younger and would prioritize voting for Hsu over JLC.

Academy age statistics haven’t been reported on in a decade, but hopefully they’ve made strides bringing down their median age of 62.

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Can someone tell me why on earth is anyone predicting Jaime Lee Curtis OVER Stephanie Hsu? like, are people trying to tank their scores on purpose? Or are they trying to start a narrative on their own? What is going on here?

I can understand predicting both of them to get in (and JLC can definitely get in at SAG) because that can still happen and I’d be ecstatic for JLC. But in no world is she getting in over Stephanie Hsu. Like have people seen the same film that I did? Who in their right mind is going to mark JLC 1st when Hsu does what she does and has that incredible climax scene?

Also, the Balfe/Dench comparisons are ridiculous because –
    1) There was chatter that some people might have marked Balfe in Lead while others marked her in Supporting, potentially causing her to cancel herself out. No one is marking Hsu in Lead when Yeoh is there lol
    2) Belfast was a film that was better received by the older members of the Academy – It’s not a co-incidence that Dench and Hinds were the only actors who got in. EEAAO is in the pop culture zeitgeist and will be much better received by younger voters than Belfast.
    3) Dench was a seven-time Oscar nominee who got her 8th nomination with Belfast. JLC is a Hollywood veteran, but Dench is BELOVED by the Academy.

laslo
    Topics:

Some people go the extra mile to not understand what is being said. I will reiterate that I don’t think Curtis is more likely at this point than Hsu and that I don’t think she deserves to be nominated over Hsu. I just speculated that there is a possibility that this could happen. And the comparison, which I wrote in bold in my post that was made vaguely, was not a direct analogy between Dench and Curtis nor the relevance of each to the Academy, but rather that they are both veterans with an extensive resume competing with actresses relatively less familiar to voters, that’s all. But I’m going to drop this topic because anyone who wants to understand what I meant has already understood.
    And about EEAAO catering to a younger audience, I think it’s kind of impertinent because even though the Academy has increased its voters by a few percent, the vast majority are still older people, at least in their 40s. But I personally don’t think that changes much. EEAAO is not a film outside the purview of older people. Of course, the film has unconventional ways to tell its story, but all of these explorations are technically well-executed and make for an emotional arc that is effective for any age group. But we’ll have to wait and see.

NevadaR
    Topics:

Some people go the extra mile to not understand what is being said. I will reiterate that I don’t think Curtis is more likely at this point than Hsu and that I don’t think she deserves to be nominated over Hsu. I just speculated that there is a possibility that this could happen. And the comparison, which I wrote in bold in my post that was made vaguely, was not a direct analogy between Dench and Curtis nor the relevance of each to the Academy, but rather that they are both veterans with an extensive resume competing with actresses relatively less familiar to voters, that’s all. But I’m going to drop this topic because anyone who wants to understand what I meant has already understood. And about EEAAO catering to a younger audience, I think it’s kind of impertinent because even though the Academy has increased its voters by a few percent, the vast majority are still older people, at least in their 40s. But I personally don’t think that changes much. EEAAO is not a film outside the purview of older people. Of course, the film has unconventional ways to tell its story, but all of these explorations are technically well-executed and make for an emotional arc that is effective for any age group. But we’ll have to wait and see.

Just thinking if my parents or older acquaintances would like it and I very much doubt it since it’s very chaotic and unconventional in its structure. Yes, all the chaos makes sense in the end but you still have to get there. For the record, I loved it.

I think it will do well with critics but its first and biggest test will be at GG. Looking at previous winners I have a feeling they might like Banshees or Babylon more. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it anyway.

laslo
    Topics:

Just thinking if my parents or older acquaintances would like it and I very much doubt it since it’s very chaotic and unconventional in its structure. Yes, all the chaos makes sense in the end but you still have to get there. For the record, I loved it. I think it will do well with critics but its first and biggest test will be at GG. Looking at previous winners I have a feeling they might like Banshees or Babylon more. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it anyway.

Yeah, that’s something we can’t be sure about right now. But my point is, Academy voters are older but they all work in the industry, so I believe they can appreciate good filmmaking even if it doesn’t appeal to them in the same way that it appeals to younger audiences. I think there must be a difference between the appreciation of this art from someone who has worked for years in the industry and a normal older person who consumes it just for entertainment. And even if they don’t appreciate the film all that much, they’ll be told that it’s an independent production that made $100 million and had a huge cultural impact on the younger age group. As for whether or not they will see the full movie to have a greater emotional connection, EEAAO should have private sessions for voters in the future so I don’t know if that will be an issue. But like you said, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

crabbie
    Topics:

The older members may not respond well to Everything Everywhere All At Once, but at least it has support from the millennials and Gen Z members of the Academy🙏

Hathaway saying the movie gave her hope for the future is so wholesome and Foster saying it’s the best film in the last 20 years is rather effusive.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.