Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 535 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
Rachel615
wolfali
laslo

• Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 3 is now open.

ejaru1810
    Topics:

For those who have seen Woman Talking, is Foy the obvious choice? Or is there a chance she could vote split with Buckley like Stone/Weisz?

wolfali
    Topics:

Golden Globes:

– Jessie Buckley, Women Talking
    – Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
    – Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at One
    – Claire Foy, Women Talking
    – Janelle Monae, Glass Onion

Critics Choice:

– Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at One
    – Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    – Jean Smart, Babylon

BAFTA:

– Dolly De Leon, Triangle of Sadness
    – Aimee Lou Wood, Living

SAG:

– Samantha Morton, She Said
    – Jean Smart, Babylon

Academy Awards:

– Hong Chau, The Whale

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

MichelleReign
    Topics:

wolfali
    Topics:

For those who have seen Woman Talking, is Foy the obvious choice? Or is there a chance she could vote split with Buckley like Stone/Weisz?

Well I disagree that Weisz and Stone vote-split considering that Weisz was the clear industry and critical favourite (pun unintended) of the two and both of them lost to what was the most acclaimed performance in the category.

I do feel like the analogy between the duo from The Favourite and the Women Talking ladies does work though in the sense that whilst I think that Foy is going to get the most traction (in particular amongst critics) the film is at the forefront an ensemble movie and Buckley like Stone is a familiar face to the academy (one who I imagine many people consider to be one of the most reliable performers of her generation) delivering strong work. Weisz would have won had King not been in contention so I guess the question for Foy is whether anyone strong enough can come in and turn this race upside down. I think Kerry Condon in particular could be a dark horse here. Not only does she give a note-worthy performance in The Banshees of Inisherin but she’s considered by many people to even be the MVP of the movie and I can see her building momentum late in the season like Yuh-jung Youn and Troy Kotsur did with the critics and televised industry awards. Granted The Banshees of Inisherin is a very different film from CODA and Minari and Condon doesn’t have the history making narrative that Youn and Kotsur did but just like them she’s the film’s breakout and has arguably received the most standout notices of her film from the outset from casual viewers even as the awards focus has been on her co-stars (just like Youn was with Yeun and Kotsur was with Jones and Matlin) earlier in the cycle.

FYC: Better Call Saul and The Good Fight in all categories including Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Rachel615
    Topics:

Condon doesn’t have the history making narrative that Youn and Kotsur did but just like them she’s the film’s breakout and has arguably received the most standout notices of her film from the outset from casual viewers even as the awards focus has been on her co-stars

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out but the history making narratives of Youn and Kotsur were so overwhelming, and despite being excellent in their roles, I’m unsure either would have won without those narratives. For that reason, I don’t know how much I buy the analogy of Condon with either or both of them, but we’ll see.

K Olivia
    Topics:

Having seen The Whale, I can’t imagine Hong Chau missing a nomination. Her character plays an integral part alongside Brendan Fraser’s. She also has a few Oscar worthy moments including a monologue that’s very powerful.

wolfali
    Topics:

I’m unsure either would have won without those narratives.

Oh for sure. And I think that’s what makes this race all the more interesting. Right now I’m assuming that just like with Kotsur last year and with Youn the year before that we have a consensus three in this category with Foy, Buckley and Condon (with the win being between one of them) which makes me think that Condon could come from behind with the strength of her film and the potential for her to build momentum with critics associations. But as you’ve pointed out she does lack the narratives that helped push Youn and Kotsur to win in their categories which does put more pressure on her as a challenger to the Women Talking performers. I think it will be interesting to see if we end up having a late-breaker in this category like last year with DeBose. I think Smart could be that contender if Babylon lands well although the more time that passes the less sure I feel about the film’s awards prospects (I also think there’s potential for Li Jun Li to overshadow her in buzz considering the nature of the role she’s playing).

BrazilianDude
    Topics:

Go, Hsu!!!!

nkb325
    Topics:

Supporting actress basically always goes to either a rising/breakout young starlet or a respected veteran, so I struggle to see the winner as someone like Condon, a virtual unknown in the US who also won’t get the sole focus of her movies attention (considering her much more famous costars). If she starts campaigning in the US and idk has a viral talk show interview then I could maybe see it, but unless BOI is like a top 2 picture contender I also don’t see it getting an ATL award purely as a consolation prize. Buckley is a rising star, Hsu is a breakout, Curtis and Smart are legends. Foy interestingly straddles the line, as a multi-emmy award winner who the public has known for almost a decade, but who’s also still pretty young and is still searching for her real “break” into movie stardom. Condon can definitely get nominated, but I feel like the nomination would be the reward, and she can use it as an intro to american audiences and go from there.

jjjmoss
    Topics:

the ultimate supporting actress will end up here and win

wolfali
    Topics:

the ultimate supporting actress will end up here and win

jjjmoss
    Topics:

i don’t know what that means.

wolfali
    Topics:

i don’t know what that means.

You posted a picture the BAFTA lineup from 2020 to talk about the ultimate supporting actress from that year so I thought I’d share a gif of her!

Awful snub.

Luis Manuel Cabrera
    Topics:

I have a hunch that the veteran to emerge and probaby get it will be Samantha Morton from “She said”, she’s been singled out in almost all reviews so far.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.