Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 532 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel615
wolfali
laslo

• wolfali
    Topics:

Me waiting for the predictions centre to make the change:

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

This seems to be confirmation that Carey Mulligan is running in Supporting:

“Michelle Williams going lead is thee worst FRAUD imagine. Disgusting.”

One week later.

“So y’all, here’s how we can get Margot and Carey easy noms”

wolfali
    Topics:

“Michelle Williams going lead is thee worst FRAUD imagine. Disgusting.” One week later. “So y’all, here’s how we can get Margot and Carey easy noms”

Austin Butler next week:

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Rachel615
    Topics:

“Michelle Williams going lead is thee worst FRAUD imagine. Disgusting.” One week later. “So y’all, here’s how we can get Margot and Carey easy noms”

EasIER noms, but it appears that Supporting Actress is now also going to be REALLY competitive. I think both actress categories are deeper/stronger than either male actor categories.

gorman
    Topics:

I’m really baffled by the upsurge in predictions for Curtis. Seen a few GD Experts and other outlets predicting her recently. Is there any reason behind this? She’s fine in the film, but not great, and is outshone by the other Supporting Actress, who has the better role. I get she sort of has a career narrative, but has there been something to trigger people into now including her?

laslo
    Topics:

I’m really baffled by the upsurge in predictions for Curtis. Seen a few GD Experts and other outlets predicting her recently. Is there any reason behind this? She’s fine in the film, but not great, and is outshone by the other Supporting Actress, who has the better role. I get she sort of has a career narrative, but has there been something to trigger people into now including her?

Nothing has necessarily changed, but she has campaigned herself quite extensively in recent weeks. Halloween Ends opened with $58 million, which helps people remember her impact. And many pundits curiously seem to have taken her side. I think there’s a bit of racism in the insistence that some journalists have on not including Hsu in their predictions (I’ve seen several people putting her in 10th place while putting Margot Robbie with an as-yet-unseen performance in first place, even though it’s still not certain in which category Robbie will compete in), but are willing to include Curtis. But I won’t delve into this subject because someone will twist my words and call me a “woke”.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

She has two decent Oscar clips and EEAAO has been playing extremely well at industry events this past fortnight (specifically the four main cast).

alittle03
    Topics:

I genuinely believe it’s just been recency bias. She’s been campaigning for Halloween Ends, the final film with her in the franchise, so there’s been a considerable amount of buzz and sentimentality for her and her career in the last week or so. So some pundits are capitalizing on how strong they believe EEAAO will be and the fact that she’s never been nominated and are trying to push her to a career nomination, especially since the category is somewhat open right now. I think it’s also just a mentality of “I don’t know what to do with this category, and it’s skewing a bit young at the moment, so I’m gonna put Curtis in because others are”. But Curtis has been considered unlikelier than Hsu and unlikely in general for the entire cycle up until last week, so I still don’t think anything has, in reality, changed. I’m struggling to find precedent for a nomination for a role like hers and why the Academy would care about giving her a nomination now when they’ve made it transparent that they’ll deny narrative if they feel like it. And as you said, there’s still Hsu in the way, whom people are now unusually propagating is below Curtis. None of it really makes sense to me, but I guess I concede that Curtis getting GG/SAG/CC this season seems like something in the realms of possibility.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

nkb325
    Topics:

Idk, I think the fact that Halloween Ends has come out and everyone and their mother is proclaiming Curtis the “greatest final girl in movie history” is buzz that can easily transfer over. Curtis said point blank on Graham Norton that she is planning on campaigning for an oscar nom. In a category otherwise mostly made of newcomers and rising stars Curtis has a lot in her favor:

– Bonafide movie legend (whether you personally agree with that or not, that is very much the tone in the air right now with Halloween Ends)
    – She is officially closing the chapter on that genre part of her career with HE being her last time as Laurie Strode (maybe indicating a more prestigious final act?)
    – This is the first time she has been in a movie anywhere near Oscar in DECADES, so this will be our first chance to see how the academy feels about her career

I struggle to see her getting in without Hsu, but I also think the fact that they are such different actors with such different performances could help them become a sort of duo that voters can nominate to cover the breadth of what EEAAO has to offer. Buckley and Foy are VERY similar actors (pretty, 30-something white-british prestige actresses) without an obvious distinction between their performances

wolfali
    Topics:

If both Jamie Lee Curtis and Stephanie Hsu were to get nominated I’d probably predict Everything Everywhere All at Once to win Best Picture.

crabbie
    Topics:

Curtis reminds me of Emily Blunt in A Quiet Place, both respected thespians that the industry loves who finally gain Oscar traction in years. I think Blunt and Curtis were CONSTANTLY be in flux for the Oscar top 5, but ultimately near the end of the season finish around a very close sixth place. I don’t think Curtis will win SAG, but I think she will be flowing around 6th and 5th place for the majority of the season.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Best Picture: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once, Decision to Leave
    Best Director: Park Chan-Wook Todd Field
    Best Original Screenplay: Banshees of Inisherin, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell
    Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Cate Blanchett, Tang Wei
    Best Supporting Actor: Brendan Gleeson, Ke Huy Quan
    Best Supporting Actress: Kerry Condon, Nina Hoss

alittle03
    Topics:

I’ve actually been wondering if one of the Women Talking pair gets a WTF snub (presumably Buckley in this case) and Hsu/Curtis are the double nod instead.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Coolcat
    Topics:

I would love to see Jamie Lee Curtis jump into this race. I think she will get a golden globe and sag nom.

DanC
    Topics:

It’s official. Get ready for those 100/1s.

Setia Yasmine Khalil
    Topics:

t the supp actress frontrunner always goes with the critic darling will Mulligan win more critics than Foy , Condon , Hsu and even Chau ?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.