Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 532 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel615
wolfali
laslo

• Chloe Sevigny stan <3
    Topics:

I can see that, but Hoss is the one getting all the attention in Supporting Category. The movie is even promoted through Blanchett/Hoss partnership and Cate and Field have been very vocal about how amazing Hoss is and how great it was to work with her. If anyone is getting that nomination from TAR, it is Hoss. But yeah, Merlant certainly had meatier role and would be a worthy nominee.

I agree that if one gets nominated it would most probably be Hoss, I was mainly giving my personal opinion which was that it should be Merlant (if I had to pick just one).

Oscar FYC!!:

Best Picture: Bones and All
    Best Actress: Andrea Riseborough (To Leslie)
    Best Actor: Colin Farrell (The Banshees of Inisherin)
    Best Supporting Actress: Dolly De Leon (Triangle of Sadness)
    Best Supporting Actor: Brian Tyree Henry (Causeway)

Rachel615
    Topics:

Here’s my weekly post ranting about how some Oscar pundits and industry publication writers make predictions to hopedict and/or ingratiate themselves with future interview subjects. Clayton Davis just updated his Best Supporting Actress predictions. See https://variety.com/feature/2023-oscars-best-supporting-actress-predictions-1235327853/

Note that Davis currently has Charmaine Bingwa in Emancipation in 5th place, ahead of, among others (ALL of whom he has missing out on a nomination), Hong Chau, Stephanie Hsu, Nina Foss, Claire Foy, Carey Mulligan, Dolly De Leon, Janelle Monae, Gabrielle Union, Jean Smart and Thuso Mbedu. (He also has Kate Hudson ahead of all ten of these actors except Nina Foss.)

WTF???

So how soon do we think Clayton Davis is scheduled to host a Q&A for Emancipation, or interview Bingwa for an article or Awards Circuit podcast?

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Well, at least they’ve given up the ghost about Sadie Sink now.

kamila
    Topics:

So how soon do we think Clayton Davis is scheduled to host a Q&A for Emancipation, or interview Bingwa for an article or Awards Circuit podcast?

I bet the individual agents of other actors in Emancipation are going hard to get their clients in the mix. I wonder if Smith intends to promote them as well like he did with Ellis (doubt it, but it would be smart).

Whirlwind
    Topics:

What a shame they put Curtis for Supporting but relegated Hsu to Breakthrough

Imo, they clearly loved the film and wanted to nominate all of Quan/Curtis/Hsu but also recognized that 3 non-gendered Supporting noms for one film would’ve been a lot. Putting Hsu in breakthrough was their way of doing so while also spreading the wealth.

vinny
    Topics:

Let me preface this by saying that I am not sure if I shouldbe predicting this person and this is just a question that nobody seems to have asked:

Emma Thompson in Matilda. I know the film is expected to do amazing at the GG awards but does Thompson have a shot for an Oscar nom?

ejaru1810
    Topics:

Starting to believe Hsu will miss was not the surprise I was expecting this year.

laslo
    Topics:

Let me preface this by saying that I am not sure if I shouldbe predicting this person and this is just a question that nobody seems to have asked: Emma Thompson in Matilda. I know the film is expected to do amazing at the GG awards but does Thompson have a shot for an Oscar nom?

Why do you say the film is expected to do amazing with the Golden Globes? Given the nature of the project I can see it getting a nomination or two in the Comedy/Musical categories but nothing much beyond that.
    I mean the movie has a 68 on Metacritic based on 9 reviews… So I guess Thompson’s chances at the Oscars are pretty slim. To be honest, I don’t think that even in the GG this film is the biggest vehicle for Thompson, since a nomination for Good Luck to You, Leo Grande would be easier given the category split for lead actress.

24fanatic
    Topics:

Here’s my weekly post ranting about how some Oscar pundits and industry publication writers make predictions to hopedict and/or ingratiate themselves with future interview subjects. Clayton Davis just updated his Best Supporting Actress predictions. See https://variety.com/feature/2023-oscars-best-supporting-actress-predictions-1235327853/

Note that Davis currently has Charmaine Bingwa in Emancipation in 5th place, ahead of, among others (ALL of whom he has missing out on a nomination), Hong Chau, Stephanie Hsu, Nina Foss, Claire Foy, Carey Mulligan, Dolly De Leon, Janelle Monae, Gabrielle Union, Jean Smart and Thuso Mbedu. (He also has Kate Hudson ahead of all ten of these actors except Nina Foss.)

WTF???

I mean… predictions are predictions. They are allowed to predict whoever they like. It would be boring if everyone predicted the same 5 actresses to get in.

No one knows who the final 5 will be.

Most (or all) of us have not seen Emancipation yet. Charmaine Bingwa could be amazing in it. She’s great on the show The Good Fight, so it doesn’t sound like much of a stretch to me.

vinny
    Topics:

Why do you say the film is expected to do amazing with the Golden Globes? Given the nature of the project I can see it getting a nomination or two in the Comedy/Musical categories but nothing much beyond that. I mean the movie has a 68 on Metacritic based on 9 reviews… So I guess Thompson’s chances at the Oscars are pretty slim. To be honest, I don’t think that even in the GG this film is the biggest vehicle for Thompson, since a nomination for Good Luck to You, Leo Grande would be easier given the category split for lead actress.

a lot of the sites I’m looking at for reference for my GG predictions are singling it out as one that is going to do really well. The odds are pretty good one here too.

mafro987
    Topics:

Having seen Glass Onion, I think Janelle Monáe is being very underestimated here. The performance is memorable, the character is central to the narrative, and Monáe’s screentime is arguably more comparable to Craig’s (who of course is leading) than the rest of the cast. Their film will have the largest viewership of the major contenders in their category aside from Bassett. It’s something to watch out for in terms of a late-breaking contender.

FYC: Danielle Deadwyler, Best Actress in a Leading Role

Rachel615
    Topics:

I mean… predictions are predictions. They are allowed to predict whoever they like. It would be boring if everyone predicted the same 5 actresses to get in. No one knows who the final 5 will be. Most (or all) of us have not seen Emancipation yet. Charmaine Bingwa could be amazing in it. She’s great on the show The Good Fight, so it doesn’t sound like much of a stretch to me.

Of course everyone is “allowed” to predict whomever they want, and Bingwa might well be great in Emancipation, but I’m unaware of any basis this awards “expert” has for concluding that RIGHT NOW, as of today, she’s one of the five actresses most likely to receive a BSA nomination.

film123
    Topics:

Of course everyone is “allowed” to predict whomever they want, and Bingwa might well be great in Emancipation, but I’m unaware of any basis this awards “expert” has for concluding that RIGHT NOW, as of today, she’s one of the five actresses most likely to receive a BSA nomination.

tbh are you upset at them not predicting mulligan?

DanC
    Topics:

Pre-Thanksgiving Predictions:

1. Claire Foy, Women Talking
    2. Jessie Buckley, Women Talking
    3. Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
    4. Hong Chau, The Whale
    5. Carey Mulligan, She Said

6. Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All At Once
    7. Dolly de Leon, Triangle of Sadness
    8. Nina Hoss, Tar
    9. Thuso Mbedu, The Woman King
    10. Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

wolfali
    Topics:

1. Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
    2. Claire Foy, Women Talking
    3. Jessie Buckley, Women Talking
    4. Hong Chau, The Whale
    5. Nina Hoss, Tár

6. Stephanie Hsu, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    7. Carey Mulligan, She Said
    8. Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once
    9. Janelle Monae, Glass Onion
    10. Dolly de Leon, Triangle of Sadness

Bassett feels like Yeoh in Crazy Rich Asians all over again to me and Mbedu and Smart both feel like people who will be at 100/1 by the time we get to January like someone like Sink already seems to be heading towards.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 532 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.