Home Forums Movies 2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 486 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
crabbie
Victor Cruz
wolfali

• John Nguyen
    Topics:

Pleasant  surprise for keke

K Olivia
    Topics:

Go Keke! Go Keke!

Coolcat
    Topics:

I now believe Keke Palmer will definitely make it for SAG

fastlane
    Topics:

JLC shouldn’t receive a nomination just because she’s absolutely the most vocal about wanting one. In her own film she’s the second best supporting actress out of exactly two.

Yes, because the Oscars only nominate and award the very best as opposed to industry politics that year.

Liam Pesce
    Topics:

JakeT
    Topics:

Yes, because the Oscars only nominate and award the very best as opposed to industry politics that year.

I said ‘shouldn’t’

fastlane
    Topics:

I said ‘shouldn’t’

And I said I hope she finally does

Actormogul
    Topics:

This category is all over the place this year and Palmer could happen especially if she pics up a SAG nom or another trifecta win. I wont put her into my predictions until then, but I do not think in a year as “open” as this that it’s too far fetched for her to sneak in.

MD
    Topics:

Palmer mostly feels like a one time thing just like Lady Gaga. I think both LAFCA and NSFC will give us different winners here.

wolfali
    Topics:

Clayton Davis predicting KeKe Palmer for a nomination in 3…2…1

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Actormogul
    Topics:

Yes although Gaga made it in everywhere except Oscars. I dont think Palmer is happening, but in a year as open as this or at least open right now. I wouldn’t be shocked!

nkb325
    Topics:

Palmer mostly feels like a one time thing just like Lady Gaga. I think both LAFCA and NSFC will give us different winners here.

I agree. It’s proven VERY difficult in the last few years for a supporting actor to get in when they’re the only ATL possibility for their movie. It seems to always default to performances from Best Picture nominees or beloved veterans nowadays. Good for Keke, I bet she’ll also get some regional critics nominations which is very respectable for a horror movie performance. Personally, I think she’s a lead in the movie so I wouldn’t even consider her in this category, but it’s a fun win.

Actormogul
    Topics:

She definitely the lead!

Rachel615
    Topics:

I’d rather see Gabrielle Union, Jamie Lee Curtis, Stephanie Hsu, Angela Bassett, or Thuso Mbedu all nominated before Carey Mulligan. She was damn near asleep through the majority of her role! It will be horrible if Carey Mulligan makes it in above the 5 I mentioned.

I always find it interesting how people can have such good faith differences of opinion about acting performances. (I really disliked Chastain’s last year but obviously, lots of AMPAS members disagreed with me.)

In She Said, clearly, Mulligan isn’t “asleep” in the bar scene, or when sobbing alone or with her husband at home with her baby at the height of her post-natal depression. In my view, as a person who had actually suffered from serious depression, I thought Mulligan did an excellent job of capturing the body language, vocal fry, and demeanor of a person coping with the condition, not only initially, while still out on maternity leave, but also after her character returned to work. When depressed, I (and her character) sometimes may have appeared to be “damn near asleep,” but that’s a common manifestation of the illness.

And I felt that her faux-buddy-buddy bit with Peter Friedman, who plays noted Washington bag man Lanny Davis, was just a pitch-perfect depiction of source massaging by a shrewd investigative journalist. Also, the range of emotions you very briefly see through the glass pass over Mulligan’s face when she’s in the conference room listening to Weinstein and his minions near the end of the movie is extraordinarily. You don’t need to hear their words to know what she’s thinking- from curiosity, to confidence, to resignation, to sadness, in just a matter of seconds.

I’m troubled by the category fraud of Mulligan running in Supporting, and she wouldn’t be in my top 5 lead actress slots, but unlike you, I greatly admire the quality of her performance.

Selma Linda
    Topics:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 486 total)

The topic ‘2023 Oscars: Best Supporting Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.