Home Forums Movies 51st British Academy Film Awards and Titanic (1997)

51st British Academy Film Awards and Titanic (1997)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Asgaroth
happysad
Eddy Q
  • Profile picture
    happysad
    Topics:

I just noticed at the 51st BAFTAs, Titanic received 10 nominations but it failed to win any. I’m surprised to learn this considering I distinctly remember that the movie back then dominated not only at the box office but the award giving bodies as well so when it came to the BAFTAs, its highly interesting for it to suffer such a massive loss, considering its critical acclaim, stellar box office performance and very impressive technical achievements that enabled Titanic come to life. Of note, The Full Monty won Best Film, over Titanic and LA Confidential. I am curious for the reason behind this. Was James Cameron disliked in UK at that time? or was it simply an inferior picture that did not deserve any awards at all?

• This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by happysad.
    Profile picture
    Asgaroth
    Topics:

That outcome has always been odd to me. I’ve always thought that the reason for its shut-out is that British voters for some reason had something personal against the movie, its director and/or its massive success. One can understand not giving it a major award, but it’s hard to think that they had refused to acknowledge it in ANY technical category as well considering how monumental it was.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    happysad
    Topics:

That outcome has always been odd to me. I’ve always thought that the reason for its shut-out is that British voters for some reason had something personal against the movie, its director and/or its massive success. One can understand not giving it a major award, but it’s hard to think that they had refused to acknowledge it in ANY technical category as well considering how monumental it was.

Same sentiment. The production design and visual effects were innovative and well ahead of its time. Even if you hate the movie, I don’t see any reason to deny the movie the well deserved recognition of the technical categories. I think the nominations were deemed enough but I truly believed it should have won atleast one, particularly Special Effects. (which Titanic lost to The Fifth Element).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

At the time the BAFTA winners were voted on by the individual branches (except for acting categories and Best Film) and the ceremony took place some time after the Oscars. It’s possible that the Titanic shutout at BAFTA was motivated by derision over its Oscar sweep, as well as branch members wanting to make more alternative choices. Many BAFTA winners in those days were unexpected, for both better and worse.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    James Breheney
    Topics:

The BAFTAs were held after the Oscars back then and voters probably thought it had received all the recognition it deserved what with its 11 Oscars and over $2 billion at the box office worldwide.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.