Home Forums Movies 80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)

80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 228 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
RIDLEY SCOTT
laslo
Bonehead

• MichelleReign
    Topics:

Hi, the Golden Globes announced their list of submissions for International Feature a few days ago. Is it possible that we could predict the category too this year? https://www.goldenglobes.com/articles/2023-golden-globes-non-english-language-film-submissions

Thank you for this!

So RRR is eligible for Best International. I will definitely look out for that film considering the massive (online) passion.

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

Darling, I think Daddy Fraser will be snubbed at the Globes.

I agree

estrelas
    Topics:

Darling, I think Daddy Fraser will be snubbed at the Globes.

They’re not gonna snub him lmao. Even if he already said he won’t be attending. He might not win but they’re not gonna snub him. It’s their comeback year, they’ll try to avoid and stay clear of any bad publicity.

kamila
    Topics:

They’re not gonna snub him lmao. Even if he already said he won’t be attending. He might not win but they’re not gonna snub him. It’s their comeback year, they’ll try to avoid and stay clear of any bad publicity.

Agreed. They don’t lose much by not nominating Cruise (although they could) because he’s in an action movie. But everyone will be looking for Fraser’s name, maybe even more now that he said he won’t go to the show. The headlines would be a nightmare for the HFPA if he’s snubbed.

oriator
    Topics:

The GGs are the most fun. Even when Ricky Gervais insulted All of Hollywood: “If Saudi Arabia was a Streaming Service, all of you will work for Saudi Arabia”

https://teatv.ltd/
    https://hellodear.in

RIDLEY SCOTT
    Topics:

The GGs are the most fun. Even when Ricky Gervais insulted All of Hollywood: “If Saudi Arabia was a Streaming Service, all of you will work for Saudi Arabia”

Lmao. I think I wrote this a long time ago

JV
    Topics:

The Menu is a dark horse for a Comedy nom.

FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Curious to know if Valerie Lemercier’s hilairous performance as “Aline” (really Celine Dion) for which she won the 2021 Cesar award for Best Actress would be eligible for the Golden Globe? It had a limited release in January 2022 in the U.S. Lemercier was great in the role! I doubt she would get nominated but IDK if she would even be eligible since the film won awards for 2021?

laslo
    Topics:

Curious to know if Valerie Lemercier’s hilairous performance as “Aline” (really Celine Dion) for which she won the 2021 Cesar award for Best Actress would be eligible for the Golden Globe? It had a limited release in January 2022 in the U.S. Lemercier was great in the role! I doubt she would get nominated but IDK if she would even be eligible since the film won awards for 2021?

Weirdly, I think the film would be eligible this year. It had its official première at the end of 2020, but it wasn’t until earlier this year that it was released for more than a week in Los Angeles theaters, which is what the HFPA considers a release date. But I’m glad she doesn’t stand a chance, because it’s a pretty mediocre performance and one of César’s worst choices in recent years.

estrelas
    Topics:

Weirdly, I think the film would be eligible this year. It had its official première at the end of 2020, but it wasn’t until earlier this year that it was released for more than a week in Los Angeles theaters, which is what the HFPA considers a release date. But I’m glad she doesn’t stand a chance, because it’s a pretty mediocre performance and one of César’s worst choices in recent years.

Girl, tell me about it. Still not over her winning over Seydoux and Efira. Especially the former. 😭

laslo
    Topics:

Girl, tell me about it. Still not over her winning over Seydoux and Efira. Especially the former. 😭

Honestly, I think any of the other nominees would make a better winner. Calamy was my favorite in the lineup (I don’t know if you watched Une femme du monde but it’s a total serve), but she had won the year before so Efira deserved to win.
    Funny thing is that my dad is the number one hater of the movie (Aline). Since he retired he doesn’t go to Cannes anymore, but last year he did and he literally called me to trash the movie after the screening was over.

estrelas
    Topics:

Honestly, I think any of the other nominees would make a better winner. Calamy was my favorite in the lineup (I don’t know if you watched Une femme du monde but it’s a total serve), but she had won the year before so Efira deserved to win. Funny thing is that my dad is the number one hater of the movie (Aline). Since he retired he doesn’t go to Cannes anymore, but last year he did and he literally called me to trash the movie after the screening was over.

I haven’t seen Calamy sadly, but I’ll make sure to watch it. It looks interesting by the trailer and Calamy served in it, so that’s good a start.

But yeah, Aline was just…weird. To be the nicest possible. I like Lemercier a lot but that performance and movie were not it for me. Really basic pick by the Césars, but considering some of their previous choices, we should’ve seen this coming.

Just sad for Seydoux and Efira. So many noms and not a single win so far. Both will more than likely get nominated again next year, so hopefully one of them will finally win.

m844
    Topics:

This organization is so shady for so many different reasons even before the revelation that they had zero black members. I really regret that it’s back, but I will say one thing about Brendan Fraser. They won’t snub him because it will immediately remind everyone of the sexual harassment allegations that Brendan made and point to that as a reason for his snub.

I remember when Minari was snubbed in every category except Foreign Language film (which they won) and we were speculating that it was because prominent Asian American entertainers all spoke up against A24’s decision to place Minari in the Foreign Language Film category & HFPA’s rules prohibiting films from competing in both Motion Picture Drama or Comedy/Musical and FLF. To me, it showed that they either deliberately were salty because of the backlash (which to me was overblown and didn’t show understanding of HFPA’s rules – I can’t believe I’m actually defending them) or they are not the good prognosticators that they think they are. The snub of eventual Oscar winner Youn Yuh-Jung in particular was telling, but also it was nominated for Director/Score pretty much everywhere including the BAFTAs.

laslo
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Calamy sadly, but I’ll make sure to watch it. It looks interesting by the trailer and Calamy served in it, so that’s good a start. But yeah, Aline was just…weird. To be the nicest possible. I like Lemercier a lot but that performance and movie were not it for me. Really basic pick by the Césars, but considering some of their previous choices, we should’ve seen this coming. Just sad for Seydoux and Efira. So many noms and not a single win so far. Both will more than likely get nominated again next year, so hopefully one of them will finally win.

I never followed Lemercier very closely, but I had seen some movies where she was great, but Aline… Really, it’s not for me. But as you said, it came as no surprise since it’s just like the Césars to award something so basic.

I watched Un beau matin a while ago and it’s one of my favorites of the year. It’s not very baity but Léa Seydoux is amazing. The movie and her performance are very sweet, but I don’t know if I can see her winning for this. Hopefully I’m wrong and our girl finally gets her flowers.

JV
    Topics:

I wonder how will this affect the nominees ?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)’ is closed to new replies.