Home Forums Movies 80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)

80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 228 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
RIDLEY SCOTT
Bonehead
laslo

• Rachel615
    Topics:

I mean to be fair they have had an influx of 103 new voters this year alone and skewed much more towards higher brow picks in some of their nominations last year (Negga in Passing, Cotillard in Annette, Iglesias for Parallel Mothers, Baranski in The Good Fight, Lupin and Reservation Dogs in drama and comedy series etc).

When you have a shift in the makeup of the type of people voting for these awards, the predicting rule book one has become accustomed to should at the very least be in question.

Do we know who the new 103 voters are or where they are employed or what percentage of the total GG voters they make up?

wolfali
    Topics:

Do we know who the new 103 voters are or where they are employed or what percentage of the total GG voters they make up?

In a statement, the HFPA provided demographic statistics of the new voters: 22.3% are Latinx, 13.6% are Black, 11.7% are Asian, 10.7% are Middle Eastern and 41.7% are white, with 58.3% self-identifying as “ethnically diverse.” Now, the voting body overall is made up of 200 members that are 52% female and 51.5% “racially and ethnically diverse” with 19.5% Latinx, 12% Asian, 10% Black and 10% Middle Eastern members. The statement says that the voting body also includes individuals who self-identify as LGBTQIA+, though specific numbers regarding sexual orientation were not provided.

Additionally, the voting body now represents a wider geographic range, with 43.5% of voters being from Europe, 18.5% from Latin America, 17% from Asia, 9% from the Middle East and 7% from Africa.

“After bringing in our largest member class last year with 21 diverse members, it was clear we had to find new opportunities to bring in additional voters to ensure the continued diversification and growth in the voting body,” said Hoehne. “The addition of new non-member voters drawn from international markets gives us the opportunity to more rapidly increase the number of voters, while preserving our international identity and maintaining the commitment to bring in qualified and experienced entertainment journalists.”

They’ve listed the 103 new non member voters on their website (along with an update of their members list with an additional members bio section). I find it quite striking how few the numbers of new non-member voters they have are from the Anglosphere.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Rachel615
    Topics:

They’ve listed the 103 new non member voters on their website (along with an update of their members list with an additional members bio section). I find it quite striking how few the numbers of new non member voters they have are from the Anglosphere.

Thanks. I find the whole concept of letting non-members vote sort of odd.

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

I mean to be fair they have had an influx of 103 new voters this year alone and skewed much more towards higher brow picks in some of their nominations last year (Negga in Passing, Cotillard in Annette, Iglesias for Parallel Mothers, Baranski in The Good Fight, Lupin and Reservation Dogs in drama and comedy series etc). When you have a shift in the makeup of the type of people voting for these awards, the predicting rule book one has become accustomed to should at the very least be in question.

I agree. The Globes are probably going to be less The Tourist and Music in their taste in the future, but I meant more that they have and probably always will march to their own drum. They won’t think twice about three action dramas being in contention and they’re not like the BFCA who tries to predict the Oscars.

Thanks. I find the whole concept of letting non-members vote sort of odd.

Very…

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    1. Everything Everywhere All At Once
    2. The Banshees of Inisherin
    3. The Fabelmans
    4. Avatar: The Way of Water
    5. All Quiet on the Western Front
    6. The Batman
    7. TÁR
    8. Top Gun: Maverick
    9. Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
    10. Women Talking

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

I mean to be fair they have had an influx of 103 new voters this year alone and skewed much more towards higher brow picks in some of their nominations last year (Negga in Passing, Cotillard in Annette, Iglesias for Parallel Mothers, Baranski in The Good Fight, Lupin and Reservation Dogs in drama and comedy series etc).

When you have a shift in the makeup of the type of people voting for these awards, the predicting rule book one has become accustomed to should at the very least be in question.

The winners last year as well were more higher brow than usual, even the winners from broad appealing projects were still the cooler choices (West Side Story, Garfield, Rodriguez) or swept the season (Smith & Keaton).

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Why no Decision to Leave or All Quiet on the Western Front in Drama? Foreign films (as well as animated films) are eligible now in the picture categories…

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    3. The Fabelmans
    6. The Batman
    7. TÁR
    10. Women Talking

kamila
    Topics:

That nomination for Cotillard last year is haunting me for making predictions this time. What a surprise that was.

JV
    Topics:

Is Pearl getting submitted as Comedy here ? I can see Mia Goth getting in. I actually think she will rack up some critics noms and will get nominated for the Gotham/Spirit awards.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

That nomination for Cotillard last year is haunting me for making predictions this time. What a surprise that was.

This is me but with their nomination to Mahershala Ali for Swan Song. It’s just so antithesis to regular habits; he’s not a huge name; wasn’t heavily in the awards conversion; barely acknowledged by any awards body at all (including critics) and not a campaign priority for Apple.

Bradley Cooper for Nightmare Alley was right there if they wanted a star in a contending but they went to recognise an outstanding performance on it’s own merit.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

When 103 new members show taste get them doubled and tripled up in the Comedy categories

Leo Grande
    Official Competition
    Fire Island
    Inisherin
    Bardo
    Sadness

wolfali
    Topics:

When 103 new members show taste get them doubled and tripled up in the Comedy categories Leo Grande       

He deserves to be win competitive.

FYC: Better Call Saul, The English and The Good Fight in all categories including Emily Blunt, Bob Odenkirk, Christine Baranski and Rhea Seehorn.

Bonehead
    Topics:

Daryl McCormack isn’t even in the prediction center

wtf

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Sorry for my ignorance but I’m seeing plenty of mentions for Leo Grande around but vaguely remember a lot of discussion a while back that it won’t be eligible for film awards? Did something change/I just missed something? 💀

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Sorry for my ignorance but I’m seeing plenty of mentions for Leo Grande around but vaguely remember a lot of discussion a while back that it won’t be eligible for film awards? Did something change/I just missed something? 💀

It originally released on Hulu but Searchlight successfully appealed to be in contention for film because their release date preceded the annulment of the pandemic exception of streaming without theatrical release

Top Ten 2022 Films:
    3. The Fabelmans
    6. The Batman
    7. TÁR
    10. Women Talking

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

It originally released on Hulu but Searchlight successfully appealed to be in contention for film because their release date preceded the annulment of the pandemic exception of streaming without theatrical release

Cheers m’dear

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)’ is closed to new replies.