Home Forums Movies 80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)

80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 228 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
RIDLEY SCOTT
laslo
Bonehead

• LA26
    Topics:

Does anyone know when voting starts?

Rachel615
    Topics:

I don’t know when voting begins but GG nominations will be announced on December 12, 2022 and the GG awards ceremony is on January 10, 2023.

JV
    Topics:

So RRR and Pinocchio are eligible for Comedy/Musical ? Can Chris confirm ?

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Why did Keke Palmer get moved down to supporting?

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

laslo
    Topics:

When I think Clayton can’t become more delusional, he proves me wrong. Harry Styles?? Lmaoooo.

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

He has a point tho. The Golden Globes have a history of nominating poor or average performances. Sometimes they nominate people just because they have a predilection for them (Rosamund Pike/Nicole Kidman) or for being someone relevant in the industry who brings some attention to the award (James Corden).
    Just last year they nominated Kate Hudson for Music, who won the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for the same performance. I watched My Policeman over my flight yesterday and it’s not all bad, just totally forgettable.

tommy
    Topics:

Updated predictions:

Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical:
    BABYLON
    THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
    EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
    GLASS ONION
    MATILDA

Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical:
    Diego Calva / BABYLON
    Daniel Craig / GLASS ONION
    Billy Eichner / BROS
    Colin Farrell / THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
    Adam Sandler / HUSTLE

Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical:
    Lesley Manville / MRS. HARRIS GOES TO PARIS
    Bella Ramsey / CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY
    Margot Robbie / BABYLON
    Emma Thompson / GOOD LUCK TO YOU, LEO GRANDE
    Michelle Yeoh / EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Motion Picture – Drama:
    THE FABELMANS
    SHE SAID
    TÀR
    TILL
    WOMEN TALKING

Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama:
    Austin Butler / ELVIS
    Timothee Chalamet / BONES AND ALL
    Brendan Fraser / THE WHALE
    Hugh Jackman / THE SON
    Jeremy Pope / THE INSPECTION

Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama:
    Cate Blanchett / TÀR
    Olivia Colman / EMPIRE OF LIGHT
    Viola Davis / THE WOMAN KING
    Danielle Deadwyler / TILL
    Michelle Williams / THE FABELMANS

Supporting Actor – Motion Picture:
    Paul Dano / THE FABELMANS
    Brendan Gleeson / THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
    Ke Huy Quan / EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
    Eddie Redmayne / THE GOOD NURSE
    Ben Whishaw / WOMEN TALKING

Supporting Actress – Motion Picture:
    Jessie Buckley / WOMEN TALKING
    Jamie Lee Curtis / EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
    Claire Foy / WOMEN TALKING
    Whoopi Goldberg / TILL
    Carey Mulligan / SHE SAID

Director – Motion Picture:
    Damien Chapelle / BABYLON
    Todd Field / TÁR
    Martin McDonagh / THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
    Sarah Polley / WOMEN TALKING
    Steven Spielberg / THE FABELMANS

Screenplay – Motion Picture:
    THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN / Martin McDonagh
    EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE / Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
    THE FABELMANS / Tony Kushner & Steven Spielberg
    SHE SAID / Rebecca Lenkiewicz
    WOMEN TALKING / Sarah Polley

Original Score – Motion Picture:
    BABYLON / Justin Hurwitz
    THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN / Carter Burwell
    THE FABELMANS / John Williams
    PINOCCHIO / Alexandre Desplat
    TÁR / Hildur Guðnadóttir

Original Song – Motion Picture:
    BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER / “Lift Me Up”
    BROS / “Love Is Not Love”
    TOP GUN: MAVERICK / “Hold My Hand”
    TURNING RED / “Nobody Like U”
    WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING / “Carolina”

Animated Feature Film:
    LIGHTYEAR
    MARCELL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON
    PINOCCHIO
    STRANGE WORLD
    TURNING RED

Non-English Language Film:
    ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (Germany)
    ARGENTINA, 1985 (Argentina)
    BARDO (Mexico)
    DECISION TO LEAVE (South Korea)
    RRR (India)

Rachel615
    Topics:

According to Awards Daily, on Tuesday, November 9, 2022 HFPA ballots will be sent out to members.

Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.

Rachel615
    Topics:

Nov 9? That’s insane. I assume unseen movies like Babylon and IWDWS have screened for them already then?

I don’t know and am not making any assumptions but both movies are scheduled to be released on December 23rd and Golden Globe nominations will be announced on December 12th.

braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

He has a point tho. The Golden Globes have a history of nominating poor or average performances. Sometimes they nominate people just because they have a predilection for them (Rosamund Pike/Nicole Kidman) or for being someone relevant in the industry who brings some attention to the award (James Corden).
    Just last year they nominated Kate Hudson for Music, who won the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for the same performance. I watched My Policeman over my flight yesterday and it’s not all bad, just totally forgettable.

But those four you mentioned are all known as professional actors, Styles is popstar trying to act for the very first time.

And unless they’ve gotten flat out acclaim across the board (Mary J. Blige, Hailee Steinfeld, J-Lo), in a BP frontrunner (Beyoncé, Gaga*) or both (J-Hud) the HFPA haven’t responded at all this century. They didn’t nominate Aguilera, Carey, Gomez or Timberlake when the were in Best Film/Series nominees. They have still to nominate Zendaya for anything.

* Gaga already had the win for mixed season of AHS but every outright pan that the season got, she was raved in the role.

They can nominate alternative musicians like Björk and Alana Haim because they don’t carry the same stink of desperation as a mainstream popstar does if they fail.

estrelas
    Topics:

Björk also won Best Actress at Cannes for Dancer in the Dark. She definitely had prestige on her side.

Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

He has a point tho. The Golden Globes have a history of nominating poor or average performances. Sometimes they nominate people just because they have a predilection for them (Rosamund Pike/Nicole Kidman) or for being someone relevant in the industry who brings some attention to the award (James Corden). Just last year they nominated Kate Hudson for Music, who won the Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Actress for the same performance. I watched My Policeman over my flight yesterday and it’s not all bad, just totally forgettable.

I don’t understand your Pike comment, her nominated performances are all from acclaimed movies?

FYC:

Zar Amir Ebrahimi - Holy Spider (Best Actress)
    Ana de Armas, Julianne Nicholson - Blonde (Best Actress, Supporting Actress)
    Samantha Morton - She Said (Best Supporting Actress)
    Kerry Condon - The Banshees of Inisherin (Best Supporting Actress)

laslo
    Topics:

But those four you mentioned are all known as professional actors, Styles is popstar trying to act for the very first time. And unless they’ve gotten flat out acclaim across the board (Mary J. Blige, Hailee Steinfeld, J-Lo), in a BP frontrunner (Beyoncé, Gaga*) or both (J-Hud) the HFPA haven’t responded at all this century. They didn’t nominate Aguilera, Carey, Gomez or Timberlake when the were in Best Film/Series nominees. They have still to nominate Zendaya for anything. * Gaga already had the win for mixed season of AHS but every outright pan that the season got, she was raved in the role. They can nominate alternative musicians like Björk and Alana Haim because they don’t carry the same stink of desperation as a mainstream popstar does if they fail.

First of all I just want to say that I am not predicting that he will be nominated nor do I think he deserves to be nominated. My point is that it’s not out of character for the Golden Globes to nominate bad performances and bad movies.
    While you have a point about their considerations of singers who are just starting to venture into acting, it’s worth remembering that they’re still restructuring themselves after a big controversy and reaching a good audience now that the ceremony is back on television is important to establish their relevance as a precursor and the institution’s viability to continue to exist in financial terms. Nominating a pop star can help quite a bit in terms of popularity (presence in social media mainly). So I don’t think it’s impossible to happen, but I think it’s unlikely. Anyway, I couldn’t care less.

I don’t understand your Pike comment, her nominated performances are all from acclaimed movies?

I didn’t make this comment with the intention of insulting her or the performances. Just wanted to point out that the Golden Globes nominated her in 2018 for a performance that was recognized nowhere else, and repeated the feat in 2020 giving her a win. It was a rather vague example that the HFPA sometimes shows special attention to certain actors.

Sir Shaw
    Topics:

Can Daryl McCormack (Leo Grande) be added to Comedy Actor

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 228 total)

The topic ‘80th Golden Globe Awards Discussion (2023)’ is closed to new replies.