Home Forums Movies A Room with the View (1985) vs. Sense and Sensibility (1995)

A Room with the View (1985) vs. Sense and Sensibility (1995)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
JayDF
karls
The2ndAvenger
  • Profile picture
    vlaxym
    Topics:

Two flawless adaptations od classic books. Which movie you prefer? What are zour Noms/Wins for them?

Profile picture
    JayDF
    Topics:

Both are fabulous and make my top 100 favorite films. “A Room with a View” slightly higher at #89, while “Sense and Sensibility” ends the list at #100. Lee should have made it to director & Rickman to supporting actor for the later. Day-Lewis should have been nominated for either “A Room with a View” or his other eligible performance that year in “My Beautiful Laundrette”.

“A Room with a View” gets my top spot from the nominees for Picture, director, adapted screenplay & supporting actress. “Sense & Sensibility” gets my lead actress & adapted screenplay.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by JayDF.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    karls
    Topics:

A like them both
    A Room with a view(1985)
    Best picture- win
    Best Director- James Ivory (win)
    Best Actress- Helena Bonham Carter (Nom)
    Supp Actress- Maggie Smith (Nom)
    Supp actor- Daniel Day-Lewis (Nom)
    Best adapted screenplay- win
    Best original score- win
    Cinematography- win
    Costume desing-win
    Art direccion set- win

Sense and Sensibility (1995)
    Best picture- win
    Best Director- Ang Lee (Nom)
    Best Actress- Emma Thompson (win)
    Best supoorting actress- Kate Winslet (Nom)
    Best supoorting actress- Gemma Jones (Nom)
    Best supoorting actor- Alan Rickman (win)
    Best adapted screenplay- (win) Emma Thompson
    Cinematography- win
    Costume desing-win
    Art direccion set- win

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The2ndAvenger
    Topics:

I saw Sense and Sensibility the other day, what a coincidence! It was excellent.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arabian
    Topics:

A Room with a View and it’s not even close in my opinion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I watched both movies last night for the first time and I got say that I loved BOTH !!! Two masterpieces for sure!!! Both movies benefited from a superb cast, amazing direction and sharp writing!!! A Room With a View is definitely more artsy, while Sense & Sensibility has a more classic approach. Day-Lewis definitely deserved a nomination for the former, while Alan Rickman and Elizabeth Spriggs also deserved nods for the latter. Ang Lee was ROBBED of a nomination for Best Director. Definitely should’ve been nominated as Sense & Sensibility wouldn’t have been the same without his direction.

Regarding the wins, I’m okay with A Room With a View only winning Adapted Screenplay above the line. As much as I loved the movie I still prefer Blue Velvet and Hannah and Her Sisters (I have yet to see Platoon). As for Sense & Sensibility, it definitely deserved more wins. Kate Winslet should’ve won Supporting Actress and the movie should’ve won Best Picture. Emma Thompson was incredible but I still prefer Elisabeth Shue and Sharon Stone (and Nicole Kidman – but she was shamefully snubbed). Patrick Doyle was also very deserving for his amazing score. I have to watch Apollo 13 again to make my mind regarding Best Director that year. And I don’t think I need to talk about Emma’s Screenplay, wich was absolutely brilliant and truly deserving of that Oscar. One of the best adapted screenplays of the 90s for sure.

FYC Emmys: Helena Bonham Carter (Drama Supporting Actress), Olivia Colman (Drama Actress), Jodie Comer and Sandra Oh (Drama Actress), Fiona Shaw (Drama Supporting Actress), Zendaya (Drama Actress), Alexis Bledel (Drama Guest Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    burbigo1
    Topics:

A Room with a View, for sure.

And there is no debate to be made on this I guess.

TweakBox word counter Tutuapp

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    m844
    Topics:

They’re both great, but I prefer “A Room with a View.” James Ivory’s directorial touch, Ruth Prawer Jhabvala’s adapted screenplay, and E.M. Forster’s novel are a powerful trio. A lot of great movies that year, I also loved “The Mission.”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.