Home Forums Movies Actors who will get their first Oscar nomination in the 2020s

Actors who will get their first Oscar nomination in the 2020s

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 203 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
17 hours ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
braydenfitzsi..
wolfali
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Clarage
    Topics:

Remember her name : Camille Cottin

yes french queen

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree with Heptapod I think Wiig has great potential.

I’d also add Sarah Paulson and Gugu Mbatha-Raw. It almost feels inevitable that Paulson will get one because she’s so respected by her peers but she hasn’t really gotten any roles that could help her score a nod. Carol was probably herr closest.

Mbatha-Raw has been playing the supporting fidle in everything and has been working with everyone in television and film. I can see her get cast in a biopic like Rami Malek or Julia Garner and go for gold.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I agree with Heptapod I think Wiig has great potential. I’d also add Sarah Paulson and Gugu Mbatha-Raw. It almost feels inevitable that Paulson will get one because she’s so respected by her peers but she hasn’t really gotten any roles that could help her score a nod. Carol was probably herr closest.

Yeah Sarah Paulson is great but she is very much a TV actress at present. I think if she focused more on film work she’d end up with a good supporting role that could get her the nod.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    deaetee
    Topics:

Hopefully Emily Blunt and James McAvoy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jajajajjaja
    Topics:

Elizabeth Debicki. She reminds me so much of Cate Blanchett.

And also. Tom Holland could earn a nomination but not for Cherry obviously. Biopic movie about beloved musician (Chester Bennington of Linkin Park) would sound right for Tom to earn the spot in Oscars

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hopefully Emily Blunt and James McAvoy.

The day Blunt gets nominated she’s probably winning.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Germanswordfish
    Topics:

“I’m kind of intrigued with the idea of theatre actors blowing everyone’s mind with their breakout role on screen. Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett and so many other actors in the past followed this path. Nowadays, we can see Vanessa Kirby and Paul Mescal doing it. I wonder this might happen with Andrew Burnap and Kyle Soller from The Inheritance. Both came from (one of) the most prestigious drama school from each side of Atlantic and”

Hahaha you’re a joker! Meryl, Blanchett, Kirby were not “THEATRE” actors coming out of nowhere, they were leading screen ladies, Emmy Nominees, film actresses, that’s a bit different to the so called unknown “theatre” actor. When directors cast the ‘unknown’ actor for Oscar contention, it’s more of a marketing ploy than a brave choice. A good example is Elia Kazan making ‘stars’. He didn’t MAKE Brando, he COINED Brando before another director did. And because the market is now geared towards streaming and YouTube, theatre discoveries are not the same thing anymore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CuriousHedgehog
    Topics:

I just finished The Queen’s Gambit and I firmly believe Anya Taylor-Joy will be nominated if not win an Oscar this decade.

FYC:

Best Screenplay: Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hitman)
    Best Actress: Sidney Flanigan ("Never Rarely Sometimes Always")

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Germanswordfish
    Topics:

My point is that back in the day when actors were ‘discovered’ on the stage, it was a very different industry where the likes of Brando, and Streep didn’t really have another means of showcasing themselves. Whereas now actors have more ways to get ‘noticed’ so it’s a very different industry. NETFLIX, (just a tiny example 😲) and other streaming services…..

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    DanC
    Topics:
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

The day Blunt gets nominated she’s probably winning.

Joan Crawford teas

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Jessie Buckley
    Anya Taylor-Joy
    Jesse Plemons
    Elle Fanning
    Dakota Johnson
    Kaitlyn Dever
    Josh O’Connor
    Julia Garner
    Jeremy Strong
    Lakeith Stanfield
    Michael B. Jordan
    Tessa Thompson
    Elizabeth Olsen
    Zendaya

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

We should probably nowadays just look at the BAFTA Rising Star nominees to see who would get nominated in the near future lol.

People who were nominated for Rising Star who went on to Oscar nominations –

2018: Cynthia Erivo
    2017: Timothee Chalamet, Daniel Kaluuya, Florence Pugh
    2016: Lucas Hedges, Ruth Negga
    2015: Brie Larson
    2014: Margot Robbie
    2013: Lupita Nyong’o
    2012: Alicia Vikander
    2011: Eddie Redmayne

The other nominees those respective years:

2019: Awkwafina, Kaitlyn Dever, Jack Lowden, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Michael Ward
    2018: Jessie Buckley, Barry Keoghan, LaKeith Stanfield, Letitia Wright
    2017: Josh O’Connor, Tessa Thompson
    2016: Laia Costa, Tom Holland, Anya Taylor-Joy
    2015: John Boyega, Taron Egerton, Dakota Johnson, Bel Powley
    2014: Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Jack O’Connell, Miles Teller, Shailene Woodley
    2013: Dane DeHaan, George MacKay, Will Poulter, Lea Seydoux
    2012: Elizabeth Olsen, Andrea Riseborough, Juno Temple, Suraj Sharma
    2011: Adam Deacon, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Chris O’Dowd

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Germanswordfish
    Topics:

We should probably nowadays just look at the BAFTA Rising Star nominees to see who would get nominated in the near future lol. People who were nominated for Rising Star who went on to Oscar nominations – 2018: Cynthia Erivo 2017: Timothee Chalamet, Daniel Kaluuya, Florence Pugh 2016: Lucas Hedges, Ruth Negga 2015: Brie Larson 2014: Margot Robbie 2013: Lupita Nyong’o 2012: Alicia Vikander 2011: Eddie Redmayne The other nominees those respective years: 2019: Awkwafina, Kaitlyn Dever, Jack Lowden, Kelvin Harrison Jr., Michael Ward 2018: Jessie Buckley, Barry Keoghan, LaKeith Stanfield, Letitia Wright 2017: Josh O’Connor, Tessa Thompson 2016: Laia Costa, Tom Holland, Anya Taylor-Joy 2015: John Boyega, Taron Egerton, Dakota Johnson, Bel Powley 2014: Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Jack O’Connell, Miles Teller, Shailene Woodley 2013: Dane DeHaan, George MacKay, Will Poulter, Lea Seydoux 2012: Elizabeth Olsen, Andrea Riseborough, Juno Temple, Suraj Sharma 2011: Adam Deacon, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Chris O’Dowd

this is actually not a good example seen as most of those actors were in Oscar contention for same year so that’s kind of cheating!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Skyler Lindquist
    Topics:

I’m patiently waiting for Alex Borstein to have her big film breakthrough. She’s so talented and hardworking and truly deserves it. What living legends do you guys see finally getting their first nomination soon a la Sean Connery/Burt Reynolds in the 90s?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 203 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.