Home Forums Movies Actors who will get their first Oscar nomination in the 2020s

Actors who will get their first Oscar nomination in the 2020s

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 188 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
replies
views
users
braydenfitzsi..
wolfali
CateNicole
  • Profile picture
    Pablo J Garcia
    Topics:

Actors who should be nominated

Ewan McGregor
    Zoe Saldaña
    Awkafina
    Paz Vega
    Thandie Newton
    Tom Holland
    Martin Freeman
    Elijah Wood

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I know this is going to sound strange but I’d keep an eye on Billie Piper (and I’m not saying this because I’m a Brit).

She appears to be on a similar career trajectory to Olivia Colman. At the beginning of the noughties Olivia Colman wasn’t considered to be a serious actress and one who was more comedic with various roles in British sitcoms. Piper at the beginning of the last decade was only considered to have delivered a dramatic performance in one role, Rose Tyler in Doctor Who. Doctor Who isn’t considered a very prestigious or serious programme by a lot of SNOBBISH people and more of populist television. Before that Piper was known (at least in the UK) as a teenage pop star (I’m sure if you asked a lot of people now they’d probably know her more for her work as an actress). Both Colman and Piper however delivered acclaimed performances which critics and audiences claimed both were ‘revelations’. Piper’s performance in the modern West End update of ‘Yerma’ was dubbed by many as ‘the theatre performance of the decade’ and saw her win an Olivier award. Colman’s performance in the film Tyrannosaur saw her win awards from critics groups and win the ‘breakthrough’ award at Sundance. Both Colman and Piper also broke through at the BAFTA awards for dramatic performances that were acclaimed but not acclaimed enough for people to expect them to get nominated for (Colman won her first dramatic BAFTA for a supporting role in the Jimmy McGovern series ‘Accused’ and Piper was nominated for her first BAFTA last year for a supporting role in the David Hare series ‘Collateral’).

Anyway point being is that if she is cast in a lead or prominent supporting role in a buzzy British-American film directed by an acclaimed director and co-starring an Academy Award nominated actor, if she is good or the film is good I could easily see her getting a nomination.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

Steve Buscemi. For the love of God.

Steve.

Buscemi.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

I know this is going to sound strange but I’d keep an eye on Billie Piper (and I’m not saying this because I’m a Brit).

She appears to be on a similar career trajectory to Olivia Colman. At the beginning of the noughties Olivia Colman wasn’t considered to be a serious actress and one who was more comedic with various roles in British sitcoms. Piper at the beginning of the last decade was only considered to have delivered a dramatic performance in one role, Rose Tyler in Doctor Who. Doctor Who isn’t considered a very prestigious or serious programme by a lot of SNOBBISH people and more of populist television. Before that Piper was known (at least in the UK) as a teenage pop star (I’m sure if you asked a lot of people now they’d probably know her more for her work as an actress). Both Colman and Piper however delivered acclaimed performances which critics and audiences claimed both were ‘revelations’. Piper’s performance in the modern West End update of ‘Yerma’ was dubbed by many as ‘the theatre performance of the decade’ and saw her win an Olivier award. Colman’s performance in the film Tyrannosaur saw her win awards from critics groups and win the ‘breakthrough’ award at Sundance. Both Colman and Piper also broke through at the BAFTA awards for dramatic performances that were acclaimed but not acclaimed enough for people to expect them to get nominated for (Colman won her first dramatic BAFTA for a supporting role in the Jimmy McGovern series ‘Accused’ and Piper was nominated for her first BAFTA last year for a supporting role in the David Hare series ‘Collateral’).

Anyway point being is that if she is cast in a lead or prominent supporting role in a buzzy British-American film directed by an acclaimed director and co-starring an Academy Award nominated actor, if she is good or the film is good I could easily see her getting a nomination.

This actually makes so much sense, now that’s you put it out into the universe I can 100% see it happening.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This actually makes so much sense, now that’s you put it out into the universe I can 100% see it happening.

Also considering the fact she is shifting her focus to film in the same way Colman did at the beginning of the decade. She had her first film as a director premiere at Venice and she is about to star in Eternal Beauty alongside Academy Award nominated actress Sally Hawkins.

FYC OSCARS : PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN IN ALL CATEGORIES (ESP. ACTRESS – Carey Mulligan AND ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY — EMERALD FENNELL), VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", ESSIE DAVIS FOR "BABYTEETH"

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think we’re also underestimating the following :

1. Diane Kruger – Knowing that she got in at SAG for Inglorious Basterds she probably wasn’t far off. Her win at Cannes shows she is a respected actress.

2. Emily Beecham

3. Sandra Huller – She will get a nomination eventually but I think at least in this decade she is heading for the career trajectory of Vincent Cassel.

4. Vincent Cassel – He could have been close for Black Swan and he is probably the most well known French actor in the world. He just needs the right project.

5. Thandie Newton – She was close for Crash but now she has appeared in Westworld, won an Emmy and has a BAFTA she has momentum.

6. Kate McKinnon – She’s going to do a Melissa McCarthy and blow us all away with a dramatic performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

1. Diane Kruger – Knowing that she got in at SAG for Inglorious Basterds she probably wasn’t far off. Her win at Cannes shows she is a respected actress.

She also the Satellite (for what it’s worth) and In The Fade also won the Globe & Critics Choice for Foreign Language film.

Given how strong it was, I imagine she would’ve been nominated if more people had actually saw the film.

6. Kate McKinnon – She’s going to do a Melissa McCarthy and blow us all away with a dramatic performance

I actually preferred over both Kidman & Robbie in Bombshell, I don’t understand how she didn’t get her praise for it, she easily outshone them both.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    EduardoOrdas
    Topics:

Out of the new wave I feel most confident about:

Kristen Stewart
    Shia LaBeouf
    Robert Pattinson
    Oscar Isaac
    Emma Watson
    Thomasin McKenzie
    John David Washington
    Milles Teller
    Michael B Jordan
    Nicholas Hoult
    Elle Fanning
    Logan Lerman

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

Why are people thinking Emma Watson could be nominated? She can barely act. Multiple posts here have mentioned her.

She can’t sing either. What was Damien Chazelle thinking considering her for La La Land…?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Why are people thinking Emma Watson could be nominated? She can barely act. Multiple posts here have mentioned her.

She can’t sing either. What was Damien Chazelle thinking considering her for La La Land…?

• Mega-famous.
    • British.
    • Can give a good performance when she tries (Perks of Being a Wallflower, The Bling Ring, Little Women).
    • Isn’t opposed to doing traditional Oscar bait (My Week with Marilyn, Noah, Little Women).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Why are people thinking Emma Watson could be nominated? She can barely act. Multiple posts here have mentioned her. She can’t sing either. What was Damien Chazelle thinking considering her for La La Land…?

Chazelle must’ve been considering box office vs. critical acclaim.

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Someone not mentioned yet who I think can not be nominated but win this decade is Alan Cumming.

Similar to Richard E. Grant, he is a beloved British character actor who people in the industry actually like to be around, both of whom careers stretches back to the 1980s and have been consistently reliably in whatever project their in (film or TV).

He’s also had more awards attention then Grant has had stateside due to his legendary theatre work and recurring role on The Good Wife.

If he gets a film role that’s at all meaty, I can see him running away with the season similar to Janney, (plus he would also have a campaign narrative of being the first openly bisexual / LGBTQ+ acting winner).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The2ndAvenger
    Topics:

• British.

Damn right.

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in an argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CateNicole
    Topics:

Shira Haas

FYC: Michaela Coel and Rosamund Pike

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Edgar Pereira
    Topics:

# Paul Dano… after “There Will Be Blood” and “Love & Mercy”, I think it is about time for the Academy to recognize one of the best character actors of his (young) generation.
    # Cynthia Nixon – not the biggest fan, but I’ve to admit she’s overdue!
    # Andrew Scott – the man of the moment in the entertainment industry
    # Elle Fanning – a lot of potential in this girl
    # Robert Pattinson – since he managed to build quite a reputation once he left the “Twilight” cursing movies
    # Elisabeth Moss – I believe she will be one of those Emmy-winning actresses going Best Supporting Actress Oscar winning actress (a trend of the past decade)
    # Shia LaBeouf – he’s living a sweet moment in his “redemption phase” of his career
    # Elizabeth Olsen – it has to happen someday, for God’s sake!
    # Léa Seydoux – the Catherine Deneuve of the 21st century

Edgar Pereira
    Cinema and Popcorn
    https://cinemaandpopcorn.blogspot.com/

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 188 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.