Home Forums Movies Aladdin (2019)

Aladdin (2019)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Kay
DaKardii
Dana S.
  • Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Soundtrack is out!

Naomi Scott has a beautiful voice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Licorice
    Participant
    Topics:

Horrible soundtrack

ReplyCopy URL
    queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

Horrible soundtrack

It really is.

Lion King will shit all over this

ReplyCopy URL
    MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

Currently stands at 58% on Rotten Tomatoes…

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Former Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

We know it’s bad but it doesn’t seem to be the worst movie ever like some thought.

I was your Prime Minister once.

ReplyCopy URL
    zordon
    Participant
    Topics:

The reviews are what I expected them to be.

Re: Speechless – it sounds like a much lesser version of This is Me. Pasek and Paul even used some of the same phrases. Naomi Scott has a lovely voice, but the song is too derivate and calculated. Still, would not be surprised to see it nominated for a Globe.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

My opinion on this film will likely be the same as the opinion I have with most live-action Disney remakes (except for The Jungle Book and Pete’s Dragon, which I loved), they will good films on their own merits but the animated version will be superior.

That being said, I could see this film getting Best Production Design and Best Costume Design nominations (I actually hope it wins Costume Design because those costumes are on point). “Speechless” is IMO a great song and Naomi Scott kills it. Alan Menken, and the La La Land composers will likely get another nomination.

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    MKnight98
    Participant
    Topics:

Tbh I don’t see this getting nominated anywhere outside of Song, and maybe Costume.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  MKnight98.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  MKnight98.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler The Awesome Guy
    Participant
    Topics:

Fair enough, the costumes have been my favourite so far in a feature film as of yet.

I'm not perfect, but I keep trying.

ReplyCopy URL
    BenitoDelicias
    Participant
    Topics:

After this awful film ended, did I hear DJ Khaled scream “DJ Khaled”? Yes. Yes, I did. The film never stopped topping itself with terrible choices. And having this douche scream his name after that Will Smith face that closed the film, come on!

What the fuck, man? This was so bad. I have so many questions, I have so much to say, it was so annoying.

So first of all, was it really necessary to perform all the songs from the old film? No! NO! If this is your Aladdin and by this point you’ve already shot scenes with him, you already know he can’t pull this off. Don’t make him sing! He had like 3 numbers and all of them were terrible. And his uhm, home? Looked like an SNL set.

Once again one must ask, why do Aladdin, Genie and Jasmine speak American english and everybody else (including Nasim Pedrad) speak with an accent? Are we still doing that shit?

Why does the Sultan look like Joaquin Phoenix with a white beard? Specially since we’ve already seen so much of Joaquin Phoenix with a very grey beard in real life? Of course this was just me, it was so distracting.

Kenzari was very, very good. But he didn’t look like a villain at all. He delivered all his lines perfectly, I think he was the best actor here (along with Scott). A little make up would’ve helped. A longer beard, maybe just longer in the chin to make his face longer, a truly ridiculous head piece, anything! Such a wasted opportunity to make him really terrifying.

Will Smith was fine. He just had some terrible moments. But it wasn’t that bad. Some jokes already felt old and dated, though. Did he say “okurrrr?” He almost did.

That fucking Speechless song was so ridiculous. The intention to get another Frozen out of this was obvious as hell. Naomi Scott really does have a great voice, but no. This was too much.

The Billy Magnussen role was…what? What was that?

The monkey was fun. They did a good job there.

If you’re even one tiny bit of a Nasim Pedrad fan, you know how the movie ends right from the start.

And what can one say about Aladdin himself? Terrible casting choice. He really did ruin a lot of this film. His opening sequence would’ve been much better without the song.

It had its moments, but overall, it was a mess. Not as bad as the trailers. It really does have some nice sequences. But it’s not a good film at all. They tried way too hard to copy the first one.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Saw this last night. It was amazing and very entertaining… and also quite funny lol. The critics are being too harsh on this for no reason other than the fact that it’s a remake. I hope it gets a lot of Golden Globe noms (Comedy/ Musical, Massoud, Scott, Smith and for “Speechless”).

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

It was…exactly okay. There were some good parts (Naomi Scott, the bright visuals, some of the humor), there were some bad parts (Mena Massoud’s singing and dramatic moments, that sped-up cinematography, some terrible CGI moments), but overall it was fine. It works best as a kid’s movie for a new generation, but does nothing to improve upon or aid the original. Mena Masoud was fine and actually aced his comedic moments, but the singing was not there and he didn’t do much with the more serious moments of the film. That being said, I still thought he was charming and sold me on Aladdin and Jasmine’s chemistry. Naomi Scott is great and the best part of the film, which I think has been the general consensus. Gorgeous voice and a real presence on the screen. Will Smith’s Genie is…okay. He doesn’t go as over the top as needed and thus loses a lot of the good will I’d have had if he was big and flashy, but not batting perfectly. He plays it a little more subdued and cool, and that doesn’t work for this character, or at the very least, it adds nothing to the film. The colors made the film pop, but the set also felt extremely small. It honestly looked extremely cheap, especially with how contained some pivotal scenes are (mostly in the third act). The cinematography was also at points chopped up like “Mad Max: Fury Road,” in one of the more confounding cinematic choices of 2019. And the less said about DJ Khaled remixing “Friend Like Me” in the end credits, the better, yeah? Overall, it’s fine but I could’ve easily just waited for this to be on Disney+ by the end of the year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Beastialg
    Participant
    Topics:

Went with low expectations but I liked it (and the group I went with too). Whole cinema clapped at the end. I thougt it was much better than the Beauty and the Beast live remake. The cast was really great too (Scott, Pedrad). My only two complains: Jafar and the “A Whole New World” segment which was too low key.

ReplyCopy URL
    BICTH
    Participant
    Topics:

the way this film can switch between top notch entertainment and utter cringe fest is quite something

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

Having seen this twice now, I can say that the film is even better on a second viewing, which others seem to agree with as well. I went into this with lower expectations based on the trailer and knowing that Aladdin is my favorite Disney animated classic, but it was much better than I expected. This was a fun, entertaining film that follows the original for the most part, with some exceptions that I enjoyed such as Dahlia and Jasmine’s plot progression. Disney is doing a good job of making these films appealing to both children and adults. I was worried about the cast initially, but the actors playing Aladdin and Jasmine fit the roles well and had great chemistry. Can’t wait to see what they go onto next.

Say what you want, but I think Will Smith was the perfect choice for the Genie in a post-Williams world. He brought the right amount of charm and heart needed for the role and fit the “spirit” of the Genie very well.

My two complaints would be the modifications of some of the songs (some seemed slower, but I assume it was to accommodate the actors singing), and the age of the actor playing Jafar (think he should have been older like the original). Of course there were some other little details, but not enough for me to harp on.

The dance scenes were great and I love how they showcased the culture more in this version. The costumes and production design were fantastic and would make worthy Oscar contenders. If the Beauty and the Beast songs couldn’t get nominated, I don’t think Speechless will either.

I still think Beauty and the Beast remains the best live adaptation, but I would see this again.

If you’re looking to have a good time at the movies, then this is the film I recommend seeing. My audience also clapped at the end, which rarely ever happens, so I’m glad audiences are enjoying it and critics are weighing the film down.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.