Home Forums Movies AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE'S TOP 10 OF 2017 ARE…

AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE'S TOP 10 OF 2017 ARE…

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Teridax
jf123
Andrew D
  • Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman ALSO got rave reviews…

Not really, 76 on Metacritic. Same as Guardians of the Galaxy and Civil War, and it was even 2 points less than Iron Man. It was well liked (like most MCU films) but not acclaimed.

And while I hate to sound like a braindead Trump supporter, lets not pretend like it would still be in there if it was about a male superhero with a male director.

The strong yet vulnerable female heroine with the refreshing “female gaze” of Patty Jenkins was a key element to the films unique identity in the seemingly ubiquitous superhero genre. I was referring to its Rotten Tomatoes score when I mentioned its “critical acclaim,” and yes I am aware of the nuance-free nature of their fresh-or-rotten review aggregations.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler [Last Name]
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman was a great movie and I am happy it got a mention here. That has NOTHING to do with sexism in the slightest. If this movie had a male superhero by a male director, I would still be happy for its nomination.

FYC: Ready Player One. Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Original Score, Production Design, Director and BEST PICTURE (make it happen Oscars!!)

ReplyCopy URL
    PJ Edwards
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny seeing people butthurt over Wonder Woman getting in over their precious formulaic Marvel movies.

ReplyCopy URL
    jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Funny seeing people butthurt over Wonder Woman getting in over their precious formulaic Marvel movies.

Assuming this was directed at me, have only seen like 1/3 of MCU films and only a few X-Men films and have never wanted any of them (With the exception of the Logan screenplay and Patrick Stewart for Logan) to get major noms. I was someone who completely against the push to get Reynolds a Best Actor nom and Guardians to get a screenplay nom

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  jf123.

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam Keys
    Participant
    Topics:

As someone who has seen Phantom Thread and I Tonya, there is no way that Wonder Woman (which I actually really liked) deserved a spot over them

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Logan was anything but formulaic in the raw emotional realism of the characters and the brutal yet believable nature of the action. How many superhero movies from a major studio would have had the nerve to end the way Logan concluded the saga of Wolverine?

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman was a great movie and I am happy it got a mention here. That has NOTHING to do with sexism in the slightest. If this movie had a male superhero by a male director, I would still be happy for its nomination.

Same! A well-told story is a well-told story, regardless of the gender of the main character or storyteller. 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Participant
    Topics:

Wonder Woman was really OK. As for the acting, Gal Gadot might be the hottest white chick of the moment, but she can’t act for shit. Chris Pine is still not a convincing actor at all, after all these years. David Thewlis was good as usual (he needs to win something for Fargo over that one note Skargard performance from BLL, BTW).

ReplyCopy URL
    Paul Hardister
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks Sagand and Riley for the info!

I looked up all of these: Sully, Nightcrawler, Unbroken, Inside Llewyn Davis, Saving Mr Banks, The Town. What’s interesting is all of them got Golden Globe snubs for Best Drama or Best Comedy/Musical. So that somewhat foretold the Oscar snub.

So it will be interesting to watch come Monday which of the ones I mentioned before (Call Me By Your Name, Dunkirk, The Florida Project, Get Out, Lady Bird, and The Post) if any might get snubbed at the Globes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Foolio
    Participant
    Topics:

And while I hate to sound like a braindead Trump supporter, lets not pretend like it would still be in there if it was about a male superhero with a male director.

The fact is most of the time films about women directed by women don’t even get financed, let alone campaigned for awards. Most films that were granted a big budget and were considered worthy of wide distribution and awards push wouldn’t have gone that far if they didn’t have a male protagonist and a male director.

Would WW have been listed if it was about a male superhero and was directed by a man? Maybe, maybe not – there’s no way to know. These things don’t happen in a vacuum, the spirit of the times always affects everything. Everything from Casablanca to Moonlight winning Best Picture has been reflective of its times, and if 2017 being the year of female empowerment helps boost WW, more power to it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jake
    Participant
    Topics:

8 out of 10 inclusions are based on original screenplays. “Call Me By Your Name” is so winning adapted screenplay Oscar, there’s no competition there.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew D
    Participant
    Topics:

Movies can be more than they are sometimes and they can be important culturally and personally. while something like Phantom Thread ( I haven’t seen it just using it as an example due to his prior films being cold and not really warm) may be a more well-made or done movie it might not have the same emotion or feelings people have while watching Wonder Woman.

As a 75 year old female superhero it was her time, and to see a strong female director make a female centric movie about a superhero who deserved her time in the sun was refreshing and fantastic. While the movie certainly has its flaws it was amazing. It was a shining light in cinema this year and within superhero movies. I am so happy that it got included on this list and I agree with its inclusion 100 percent. This movie will stand for years and still be just as good and just as important to people . whereas a movie like the phantom thread wont , if it were not for DDL claiming he is retiring no one would be talking about it besides for a few Oscars . Sometimes a movie is not the best but it’s more important to the moment and that’s why it should be honored and will be remembered for those reasons.

And I know a lot of you will balk and say well it’s supposed to be a list of the best films not the more important or whatever I would say that there have been quite a few films that have won this accolade that have been far less deserving than Wonder Woman.

2016- included
    Sully
    Silence

Snubbed – and all better than those two
    Lion
    The Handmaiden
    10 clover field lane
    Jackie
    Don Breathe

2015 – included
    Bridge of Spies
    The Big Short

Snubbed – and all better than those two
    Sicario
    The Revenant
    Ex Machina
    Brooklyn
    The Hatful Eight

2014- Included
    Into the woods
    Unbroken
    Boyhood
    Birdman

Snubbed – And all WAYYY better
    Big Hero 6
    Gone Girl
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    The babadook
    Fury

So this argument could be made every year but I would say that Wonder Woman is more important and a way better movie that a lot of crap from years past Into the Woods , Bridge of Spies, Sully , Silence , Birdman were all not nearly as good of movies .

https://www.etsy.com/shop/AndrewsArt

Check out my Store.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

A bunch of those were ineligible as non-American.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eddy Q
    Participant
    Topics:

8 out of 10 inclusions are based on original screenplays. “Call Me By Your Name” is so winning adapted screenplay Oscar, there’s no competition there.

Indeed, I think Mudbound lost whatever (very slight) chance it had of beating CMBYN in Adapted Screenplay when it missed out on a Best Picture nomination from both Critics Choice and AFI. No Indie Spirits noms outside of the Ensemble Award doesn’t help either.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
Reply To: AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE'S TOP 10 OF 2017 ARE…

You can use BBCodes to format your content.
Your account can't use Advanced BBCodes, they will be stripped before saving.