Home Forums Movies Art Directors Guild Awards 2020 Reactions

Art Directors Guild Awards 2020 Reactions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
replies
views
users
Gabriel Guarin
phenix714
Guest 2018
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Place your reactions to the ADG Awards 2020 for Saturday in this thread. Final predictions for film or television?

Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Hollywood will win at least one guild award. It’s Hollywood’s to lose.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

It already won at SAG and CSA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

I’m predicting 1917 for Period, Parasite for Contemporary, and Avengers Endgame for Fantasy.

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

I have 1917, Ad Astra, and Parasite.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

I have Once Upon a Time for Period, Ad Astra for Fantasy and Parasite for Contemporary.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Side note to Gabrial and Jack: why are you guys predicting Ad Astra to win? I’m predicting Endgame because of it’s popularity and the fact that it’s picked up a few awards from the guilds and other precursors: as supposed to the other nominees which have win almost nothing. But I’d like to hear your analysis.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Side note to Gabrial and Jack: why are you guys predicting Ad Astra to win? I’m predicting Endgame because of it’s popularity and the fact that it’s picked up a few awards from the guilds and other precursors: as supposed to the other nominees which have win almost nothing. But I’d like to hear your analysis.

I’ll be blunt: I don’t know why. I haven’t updated my predictions in this category in a long time. I’m definitely changing to Endgame.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I am thinking that the quality of Ad Astra will be undeniable, like when Passengers beat Arrival, Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

1917 better win

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    phenix714
    Topics:

I haven’t followed all the precursors, but the Academy already isn’t into Marvel as is, so why would they award the production design when it’s clearly not very good in this area? The movie is half generic contemporary locations, half fantasy settings that are more of a CGI mess than an actual production design work.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

8:15PM ET start. YAY!

Predix:
    1917: Period
    John Wick 3: Parabellum or US: Contemporary (no guts, no glory pick)
    Endgame: Fantasy
    Animated: Frozen II (may as well go down with the ship; an awful lot of guilds had an attack of insanity in snubbing the 2nd most popular animated movie ever)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    JackO
    Topics:

Those sort of sci fi space films(Gravity, Arrival, Passengers, The Martian, Interstellar) are art directors catnip. Marvel movies are not.

I am thinking that the quality of Ad Astra will be undeniable, like when Passengers beat Arrival, Doctor Strange and Fantastic Beasts.

Thats a good comp considering endgame doesnt have half as good prod design as Dr Strange.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by PJ Edwards.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by PJ Edwards.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Those sort of sci fi space films(Gravity, Arrival, Passengers, The Martian, Interstellar) are art directors catnip. Marvel movies are not.

Those films were all Box-Office successes though. Ad Astra bombed. I doubt all of the ADG voters have even seen it.

I’m still expecting Endgame to win Fantasy, since it’s the most successful and also the most well liked (94% on Rotten Tomatoes and 8.24 average rating) of all the nominees in that category. And both Guardians of the Galaxy (over Interstellar) and Black Panther won previously in this category, so there’s no apathy toward Marvel in the ADG.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

Passengers was nominated for the Production Design Oscar. Ad Astra was not. But I am worried Ad Astra.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.