Home Forums Movies Atonement vs No Country for Old Men (2007)

Atonement vs No Country for Old Men (2007)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
Gabriel Guarin
Nameizmann
John Berchmans
  • Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

I watched Atonement for the first time the other day (just one of those films I missed at the time and never caught up on). Really good film and story. The only bits that lagged slightly were the war sequences and I was keen for the action to get back to Cecilia and Briony.

It’s interesting that No Country won Best Picture when Atonement is far more of an Academy friendly film. No Country is one of my favourite films and it deserved its win but what are people’s theories behind why Atonement didn’t pull through here?

Atonement won the Drama Golden Globe (not televised that year) and the BAFTA. No Country won SAG ensemble. Atonement would have had the famous British block. In hindsight I’m surprised Atonement didn’t win Picture and the Coens Director.

Curious for people’s thoughts on this race.

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

No Country won PGA+DGA+SAG+WGA, so it winning BP was a done deal. GG/BAFTA/CC are immaterial and only relevant for predicting upsets in a somewhat close year (which this year wasn’t, since No Country swept the four big guilds.)

For the same reason, TSN vs. Kings Speech and Boyhood vs. Birdman weren’t close, either.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Nameizmann.
    • This reply was modified 7 months ago by Nameizmann.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

No Country won PGA+DGA+SAG+WGA, so it winning BP was a done deal. GG/BAFTA/CC are immaterial and only relevant for predicting upsets in a somewhat close year (which this year wasn’t, since No Country swept the four big guilds.) For the same reason, TSN vs. Kings Speech and Boyhood vs. Birdman weren’t close, either.

People seriously undervalue the guilds when predicting Best Picture winners. They’re one of the reasons why even though 1917 won PGA and DGA I knew Parasite would win, because it had the most guild wins overall and just as many big ones. Same goes for Spolight (WGA + SAG vs Big Short’s PGA only and Revenant’s DGA only) and The Shape of Water (PGA + DGA vs Three Billboards’ SAG only).

Stream After Hours and In Your Eyes (Remix)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

People seriously undervalue the guilds when predicting Best Picture winners. They’re one of the reasons why even though 1917 won PGA and DGA I knew Parasite would win, because it had the most guild wins overall and just as many big ones. Same goes for Spolight (WGA + SAG vs Big Short’s PGA only and Revenant’s DGA only) and The Shape of Water (PGA + DGA vs Three Billboards’ SAG only).

I think a lot of people got tripped up by the quadruple whammy of Golden Globes, BAFTAs, DGA and PGA. As we learned this year, that combo can’t overcome lacking support where it matters the most: in 1917’s case, the acting branch.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabriel Guarin
    Topics:

What’s funny is that even though Atonement won the Drama Golden Globe and BAFTA Award, it was snubbed by all the guilds: SAG, DGA, PGA, and WGA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Elazul
    Topics:

I think Atonement is quite disjointed and it’s “message” didn’t come across while NCFOM is not the typical Oscar bait but it still has that “important” feel the Academy loves…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

ZODIAC!!!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jeffrey Kare
    Topics:

Not to mention that Atonement was the only Best Picture nominee that year where its director (who in this case is Joe Wright) wasn’t even in contention.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

The correct answer is:

“There Will Be Blood”

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.