Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 537 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue in Part 2.

Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

Happy for Minari!

Carey Mulligan for Best Actress
    Youn Yuh-jung for Best Supporting Actress

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

No, we’re done, Chris! Some are bored, some others are delighted. Back to Oscar (and leave some of brits here to predict this merry award)!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ok there is a bit of confusion over how the new BAFTA system works.

Best Film is still voted upon by the general membership as it always has been. That’s why you’ll still find Promising Young Woman and The Trial of the Chicago 7 nominated whilst Mulligan/Fennell and Baron Cohen/Sorkin are snubbed in acting and directing. Apart from in rare cases (like I, Daniel Blake which was essentially the Rocks of that year), the nominees more or less are top 5 at the Oscars or are guaranteed an Oscar nomination if we’re going by stats.

Best Director is decided by a separate directing jury. The acting categories are decided by acting jury. The mandate of these juries is not “to try and predict the Oscars” or to “shower A listers with nominations”. They were in fact set up to recognise more British/Irish performances (remember an unknown performer called Jessie Buckley making it in last year? They were set up to basically generate more of those passion picks from overlooked British films) and more performances from under-recognised groups. It’s a bit like how at the Gothams, a jury sits down and watches these films and shortlists performances and pieces of direction based on their thoughts on it. Having a “big campaign” here in the acting and directing categories kind of means nothing.

The screenplay and the rest of the below the line categories (apart from Casting) are decided by each individual branch of BAFTA (as they have always done since around 2011).

5 films that make it into Best British Film are those that received the most votes from the general membership in the first stage of voting. I think it’s kind of obvious which films those were. The other 5 films that make its into Best British Film are decided by a jury (as opposed to all the nominees being decided by a jury as is the case with acting and directing).

The wins in each category apart from British Debut are decided by the general membership.

Whilst it isn’t great for Viola Davis and Carey Mulligan to be snubbed, it’s not totally fatal for their chances at an Oscar win. I doubt any Academy member who liked Mulligan and Davis’ performance is going to be like “the acting jury snubbed them so I am not going to vote for them”.

What might hurt them however is if Frances McDormand or Vanessa Kirby win the BAFTA because that might give them added momentum going into the voting for the Oscar win. So really their best scenario (and Andra Day’s best scenario) is if one of Bakray or Mosaku win (I’d be pleasantly surprised if Blank or Woodard won with the general membership).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Qoslca
    Topics:

Ok, so I just woke up and checked these nominations, and ummmmmmm…..

Wow.

Very happy for The Mauritanian / Tahar Rahim though!

My username is an acronym of “Quiet On Set! Lights, Camera, Action.”

💡🎥🎬

“Good morning, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight.” —Truman Burbank, The Truman Show

Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:

The BAFTA can’t be taking seriously anymore. They are the new Independent Spirit Awards.

I don’t know what the BAFTA jury system is good for if the nominees are so skewed towards indie films and the big budget ones are shut out. That’s just not credible.

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Who do we think is winning darlings

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Promising Young Woman did extremely well with the categories voted by the entire membership (that score nomination, lmao). It’s going to win Screenplay here.

Profile picture
    String Cheese Theory
    Topics:

It’s interesting because on the one hand, how can this make sense: PYW nominated for film, British film, screenplay and casting – but not it’s obviously singular lead, who is British and gives a widely acclaimed performance.

On the other hand, active anti-racism work means taking specific affirmative action steps to dismantle white supremacy and equitably elevate non-white people, so…

On the other hand, as a performer, surely that kind of action would feel tokenistic at some point, and that’s coddling I’d personally reject, but at the same time, white audiences need to learn more about what non-white acting is.

Performative? Probably.

Who votes on the winners?

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Wait, PYW had a score?

Profile picture
    Nameizmann
    Topics:

People who get nominated by Baftas won’t feel they’re being hand held by tokenism, they would be ecstatic.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

Re: the jury

I am sure all the nominees are worthy, and I am happy that talent that has gone unrecognized is being celebrated. However, they are being celebrated with a caveat. The caveat being that they were being selected by a jury solely designed to push diversity. No one wants to feel like they’re fulfilling a quota. I hope none of the nominees feel that way but I would understand if they did.

The Screenplay snubs for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and One Night in Miami tell me that the general British Academy membership still has a long way to go in recognizing diverse voices. This will not happen overnight! At best, the juries are a way to shortcut that process, and at worst, they are a system put in place to feign progress and skirt criticism. In either case, no progress is actually being made.

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

In response to comment that said these nominations are performative

Yes it is. But people need to understand implications of award nominations/wins – It gives more visibility. When notable actors, especially POC actors who are often snubbed for inferior performances get nominated at these award functions – they get visibility. So many people are going to watch Radha Black and likes because of these nominations. And that credibility eventually adds to the performers/films career in some quantity.

For an extremely racist institution like BAFTA, this is a small but notable step

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’ll repeat something I suggested in another thread: let the general membership decide on the first four nominees and let the jury pick the other two. I don’t think the general membership should be completely shut out of voting

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate that fact we finally have BAFTA nominee Riz Ahmed

Riz1
    Riz2
    Riz3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.