Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 537 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    ssilva872
    Topics:

The BAFTA can’t be taking seriously anymore. They are the new Independent Spirit Awards. I don’t know what the BAFTA jury system is good for if the nominees are so skewed towards indie films and the big budget ones are shut out. That’s just not credible.

Pretty much this (or British Gothan Awards).

I posted this as a comment on the articles on the main site because it is so true.

6-15 people deciding who gets nominations is kinda crazy.

@George Ehret mentioned that there should be at least 4 nominees who get in by a full British academy vote and the individual juries should get to save 2 nominees.

I’d go as far as to say 5 nominees by full academy and 1 save by the juries (their Sophie’s Choice lol).

That is much more fair.

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

Can we just take a moment to appreciate that fact we finally have BAFTA nominee Riz Ahmed Riz1 Riz2 Riz3

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

The Screenplay snubs for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and One Night in Miami tell me that the general British Academy membership still has a long way to go in recognizing diverse voices.

But they also nominated Rocks, Mauritian and White Tiger in Screenplay. If anything they just don’t responded to Black American stories.

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

Also I am here for every award show choosing not to predict Oscar and spreading the wealth all across!

Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Back from the last thread, Miles really nailed it. The BAFTAs are suffering from performative wokeness, point blank. After being rightfully dragged for their racist asses over many years, they over course-correct with juries of very specific tastes picking POC nominees over what the general membership surely would have done instead. A better balance should have been struck, like saying yes, finally someone recognized the utter brilliance of Alfre Woodard in “Clemency,” but snubbing Carey Mulligan when “Promising Young Woman” is one of the strongest across-the-board contenders is so nonsensical and ridic. It’s BRP Grammy-level BS. Make it make sense!

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

For the nominations, I say keep the long list, but develop them early enough so that the general membership has time to see all the movies. If they want, they can create some mechanism to prove that a voter has seen everything on the long list before they vote. You only vote for the categories in your branch (Directors vote on Directors, Costume Designers vote on Costume Design, etc) so there are only 15 movies you have to see.

Profile picture
    Miles
    Topics:

But they also nominated Rocks, Mauritian and White Tiger in Screenplay. If anything they just don’t responded to Black American stories.

Sure, but are you going to tell me that The Dig had a stronger screenplay than Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom?

Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Mosaku is so winning this. She was amazing in His House and it’s obvious they will vote for a black actress in this category.

Profile picture
    TVFan365
    Topics:

Ok there is a bit of confusion over how the new BAFTA system works.

Best Film is still voted upon by the general membership as it always has been. That’s why you’ll still find Promising Young Woman and The Trial of the Chicago 7 nominated whilst Mulligan/Fennell and Baron Cohen/Sorkin are snubbed in acting and directing. Apart from in rare cases (like I, Daniel Blake which was essentially the Rocks of that year)

Best Director is decided by a separate directing jury. The acting categories are decided by acting jury. The mandate of these juries is not “to try and predict the Oscars” or to “shower A listers with nominations”. They were in fact set up to recognise more British/Irish performances (remember an unknown performer called Jessie Buckley making it in last year? They were set up to basically generate more of those passion picks from overlooked British films) and more performances from under-recognised groups. It’s a bit like how at the Gothams, a jury sits down and watches these films and shortlists performances and pieces of direction based on their thoughts on it. Having a “big campaign” here in the acting and directing categories kind of means nothing.

The screenplay and the rest of the below the line categories (apart from Casting) are decided by each individual branch of BAFTA (as they have always done since around 2011).

5 films that make it into Best British Film are those that received the most votes from the general membership in the first stage of voting. I think it’s kind of obvious which films those were. The other 5 films that make its into Best British Film are decided by a jury (as opposed to all the nominees being decided by a jury as is the case with acting and directing).

The wins in each category apart from British Debut are decided by the general membership.

Thank you for explaining this!

Profile picture
    ssilva872
    Topics:

When are we going to be told what other actors (and what random people off the street) comprised each jury?

That will be most interesting…

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Best Rising Star is the easiest category to predict for the win lmao.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Wonder if Carey’s snub will help PYW…

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Naiad Lyne
    Topics:

Wonder if Carey’s snub will help PYW…

How? She is the lead actress in this.

Profile picture
    John Berchmans
    Topics:

Holy shit, what are these BAFTA nominations!

John's Best of 2020

Best Picture: Soul
    Best Direction: The Midnight Sky
    Best Actor: Chadwick Boseman
    Best Actress: Viola Davis
    Best Supporting Actor: Delroy Lindo
    Best Supporting Actress: Amanda Seyfried
    Best Screenplay: Soul

John's Best of 2021

Best Picture: Nomadland
    Best Direction: Nomadland
    Best Actor: Lakeith Stanfield
    Best Actress: Frances McDormand
    Best Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Best Supporting Actress: Dominique Fishback
    Best Screenplay: Judas and the Black Messiah

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Careys snub hurts but this is so much better than that shitfest of white mediocrity and unexceptional actimg nominated last year (except for the Irishman men, Jessie Buckley, Florence and Scarlett)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.