Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 537 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    Marrowbone
    Topics:

Who? I don’t have Instagram so I can’t see it.

Vanessa Kirby

⭐Best Actress - Carey Mulligan

⭐Best Supporting Actress - Youn Yuh-jung

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The Guardian are running a big event this evening where they are interviewing Kirby about Pieces of a Woman and Edgar-Jones mentioned she was attending the zoom.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Vanessa Kirby

Thnx

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Just occurred to me that Sound of Metal is not winning BAFTA Editing, even if it is winning the Oscar.  BAFTA always goes for most editing, unlike the Oscars.  It does not help either that BAFTA did not care for Sound of Metal as much, snubbing it in Original Screenplay.  This is a tough one.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think The Father is winning Editing. It has a flashy editing sequence and as we’ve seen in the past, a lot of the time when BAFTA deviates, it’s for a homegrown production. Look at The Favourite‘s win over Vice in Makeup and Hair for example. Or look at Baby Driver (a film with a British pedigree) triumphing in Editing.

The Father won the equivalent BIFA category so that helps its case here. Promising Young Woman could also win for similar reasons and it does also have flashy editing sequences (the Stars are Blind sequence, the end sequence).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

Looking at the Casting category, I’m confused into why so many people have Rocks as the winner. I understand that the actors were all found off the street and did a brilliant job in their first acting role, but as all members vote here, I can’t help but think that PYM will runaway with this. Not only is the film by far the most popular of the nominees, but it winning would mirror Joker’s win last year, as the casting was based around a singluar character i.e Joker and Cassie. Further, as we can assume that Mulligan would be winning Actress if nominated, then this should be a cakewalk IMO.

Profile picture
    linecelts
    Topics:

Just got finished seeing Rocks and it was an excellent movie. Got a bit emotional while watching the film near the end. I can see why Bukky and Kosar got nominated……….

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The way Promising Young Woman was “apparently” the 6th most searched thing on Google in the UK yesterday and it’s not even out here yet…

https://twitter.com/24Trends_UK/status/1375584558708625414

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The award is voted upon in round three by the general membership so the user did have a valid point but I think what is perhaps being overlooked here is how well Rocks did both in nominations and on the long-list with non juried categories. It got into Editing on the long-list and Original Screenplay in nominations and it’s quite possible that both Kosar Ali and Bukky Bakray got into the acting long-list based on the support of the actors branch.

It could very well lose Casting to Promising Young Woman (although I wouldn’t bet on it because it does feel like there is more passion for the casting of Rocks which might be more attractive to voters) but this film isn’t like Calm with Horses or His House. It genuinely has passion with the BAFTA membership.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I saw County Lines last night and Ashley Madekwe’s performance was so powerful! I still prefer Yuh-jung Youn and Niamh Algar’s performances in this category personally but I now am regretting not having had her predicted haha. It’s exactly the type of gritty performance from a socially relevant drama that a jury here would have picked.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The Mauritanian is going home empty handed. But it’s very unlikely for 2 films nominated for Best Film to go home empty handed.

Nomadland has director, cinematography and film itself on lock. Could possibly win Adapted.

Promising Young Woman is a sure bet to win original screenplay.

Which leaves Trial of Chicago 7 to win editing since it won’t win film or original screenplay in my predictions.

Then I don’t know what to do with The Father. It could win production design but it’s not a very “showy” production design that British period pieces usually win. It’s possible it could win adapted but I’m seeing a Chloe Zhao sweep here. Which leaves Best British film that is competing with the ever so strong Promising Young Woman. Hmm…maybe The Father can win adapted and PYW still wins British film.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I think The Father takes adapted like <i>The Favourite </i>and Three Billboards took Original Screenplay.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I think The Father takes adapted like <i>The Favourite </i>and Three Billboards took Original Screenplay.

If The Father wins adapted at BAFTA do you think it could win the Oscar? I have Nomadland in adapted for the Oscar but I’m not so sure since a Critics Choice only win seems too weak for a WGA ineligible film.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.