Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 537 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The only things I’m confident about:

Nomadland wins Best Film, Director, and Cinematography

PYW wins Original Screenplay

Daniel Kaluuya wins Supporting Actor

Sound of Metal wins Sound

Soul wins Score

Mank wins Production Design

Emma wins Costumes

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

well this could be the only televised award where frances has a win and i might not even have that 🙁

cant say the possible others are bad tho

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I am now offended that the British Independent Film Awards awarded Kosar Ali in direct competition with Bukky Bakray. Like WTF?

Profile picture
    The Girls' Room
    Topics:

I am now offended that the British Independent Film Awards awarded Kosar Ali in direct competition with Bukky Bakray. Like WTF?

Even though they were in different categories?

Ali is hilarious and has stark realism in Rocks. Plus her character has a great arc.

watch I May Destroy You

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Promising Newcomer

Profile picture
    Eddy Q
    Topics:

3/4. I think Bakalova is winning here.

Man, I just ditched her and now you have me second-guessing myself!

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Here are my predictions

Best Film- Nomadland
    British Film- The Father
    Director- Chloe Zhao
    Actor- Anthony Hopkins
    Actress- Vanessa Kirby
    Supporting Actor- Daniel Kaluuya
    Supporting Actress- Yuh Youn-Jung
    Original Screenplay- Promising Young Woman
    Adapted Screenplay- The Father

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

Kinda funny how there’s two One Night in Miami people nominated for Rising Star. Ben-Adir and Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù, whom Cassius Clay in the original West End production.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Maria Bakalova has been campaign her arse off here doing interview after interview with British publications, bodies such as the BFI and with BAFTA themselves. Her film’s humour has British sensibilities so I have no doubt she’ll be able to overcome that here. The only problem she has is that her film isn’t strong enough but neither is Yuh-jung Youn’s here. And neither is Vanessa Kirby’s yet we all agree she has “a chance” at winning.

Those Rocks  ladies are very much being underestimated here. Their film not only did well on the long-lists (in categories including editing) but we saw how it got into the branch voted upon category of Screenplay so it arguably was closer to a Best Film nomination than Minari was. Kosar Ali (for some weird reason) arguably has the most win buzz of the two but Bukky Bakray has the bigger narrative so I’m going with her and I’m not sure if Ali can win if Bakray is winning. But I do have her second in S. Actress so if I decide to switch to Vanessa Kirby, I will switch to Ali.

I really am keeping my expectations low for Yuh-jung Youn (who along with Niamh Algar gives my favourite performance in this category). I guess the fact that her film now has more visibility and buzz could help her but its under-performance on the long list gives me a bad feeling.

Perhaps they’re going more for who they think will be the bigger star over the best performance? Idk. I personally thought it was  beneath BIFA to do that. because I had liked some of their choices in the past in this category (Naomi Ackie, Jessie Buckley) but maybe that’s how those vote on this category operate.

It’s bizarre how they didn’t at least vote for Bakray for the newcomer award or for her to win anything when she gave the strongest and most heartbreaking performance in her film and her two co-stars won.

I’m glad Bakray made the cut for the BAFTA equivalent over Ali though. I am bewildered as to how Ali is receiving more attention for this film over what I consider to be a star making turn in Bakray’s performance.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:
    wolfali
    Topics:

the presenters for now https://twitter.com/TheFilmUpdates/status/1380105878330875907?s=20

Andra Day

Wow she’s really campaigning hard.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

I have McDormand currently but I’m tempted to switch to Bakray.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

My only problem with McDormand is whilst BAFTA members seemed to like the film, why would they award her in a field with no frontrunner? I guess perhaps the Scarlett Johansson template I’ve been using for Kirby and Bakray (newcomer/rising star benefitting from a field without a frontrunner) could be applicable to her as well (lead of an American indie film that BAFTA loved who benefits from a more open field).

But I just don’t see it for some reason.

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I agree. Why would there be a rush to reward her so soon after Three Billboards? I still think Nomadland can very well be acknowledged without a McDormand victory.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Also have you guys seen this? Deadline has outlined the virtual campaigning that each of the film studios are doing behind the scenes for BAFTA members. They include lavish virtual events for Promising Young Woman and for Vanessa Kirby (whose campaign now seems to have been sponsored by Gucci lol?)

https://deadline.com/2021/04/michelin-star-meal-deliveries-cocktail-parties-at-home-influencers-bafta-campaigning-virtual-2021-1234729251/

Judas and the Black Messiah sent catering to BAFTA members and Riz Ahmed did virtual Q&As with Cate Blanchett and Octavia Spencer.

Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.