Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 537 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I feel like The Dig might actually be a bigger sleeper in Production Design than Costumes. Its production value was extremely impressive and was the most acclaimed aspect of the movie. The Costumes aren’t really showy, specially compared to the likes of Emma., Mank and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

But Mank has been steamrolling in Production Design.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I feel like The Dig might actually be a bigger sleeper in Production Design than Costumes. Its production value was extremely impressive and was the most acclaimed aspect of the movie. The Costumes In aren’t really showy, specially compared to the likes of Emma., Mank and Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.

I can’t see Mank losing PD. No way. If anything, I think The Father might be the spoiler

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I’ve gone for The Dig because whilst the costumes in Emma are flashy, I think we’re underestimating how much support this film has and in an open race like Costumes, that can help. It’s a NGNG prediction.

His House and <i>Pieces of a Woman </i>are the bigger audience hits in Actress this year and the ones where practically everyone I know has seen them. Clemency and The 40 Year Old Version came and went and Nomadland isn’t out till after the Oscars. I have seen a lot of people I know in my own social circles having talked about Rocks and seen it but that might be because I’m in an ethnically diverse area of London. Just like His House and Pieces of a Woman, it did do well on Netflix’s charts here and was in the top 10 for a few weeks (but it didn’t perform as well either of those did with audiences).

Kingsley Ben-Adir was in both Peaky Blinders and Vera. Predicting the nominee who’s been in popular British TV is normally the smart way to go. Then again, Sope Dirisu has also been in quite a bit of TV. Bukky Bakray so far has only been in Rocks, with upcoming projects scheduled. You normally need to be a bit more spread out in order to win here. How much of the British public is actually watching Rocks on Netflix?

Well how much of the British public have actually seen Blue Story? There was a controversy over it which probably did help it but I feel like Bukky Bakray is the type of young performer who has a lot of passionate (and particularly younger and more diverse) fans and could benefit from having something like a big social media presence and from having the visibility of wide press coverage.

Kingsley Ben-Adir was in Peaky Blinders (although as a viewer of the show I can hardly place him in it so perhaps his role was as small as Morfydd Clark’s was in His Dark Materials) and Vera but Jack Lowden last year was in Dunkirk and Fighting with My Family. I feel like Ben-Adir is more comparable to Lowden (in audience visibility) than he is to Jack O’Connell or Daniel Kaluuya.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

So maybe I’ll go Kirby in Actress and PYW in Casting.

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

It did get seven nominations, which could be because of a lot of jury picks, but people have definitely seen it. Wolfali is British (I think) so maybe they will be of better help to us in figuring out visibility

general public doesn’t even know about rocks if that’s what you are asking unless they’re cinephiles ofc

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

general public doesn’t even know about rocks if that’s what you are asking unless they’re cinephiles ofc

So I shouldn’t predict Bukky Bakray for the Rising Star Award because that’s voted on by the public and not just BAFTA membership?

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

So I shouldn’t predict Bukky Bakray for the Rising Star Award because that’s voted on by the public and not just BAFTA membership?

in my opinion no even tho she is one of the most promising newcomers. people don’t know about her and haven’t seen her movie. but also as wolfali mentioned up there too she is young and she might have a lot of young and passionate fans that will vote for her.

But I feel like Morfydd Clark and Kingsley Ben-Adir has more fans because of their parts in Peaky Blinders and His Dark Materials bcause they’re both incredibly popular shows. Them having small parts wouldn’t make difference since the audience are already lowkey familiar with their faces.

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

I can’t see Mank losing PD. No way. If anything, I think The Father might be the spoiler

True but this is the BAFTAs. And its not unusual of them to throw curveballs in certain categories.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’ll stick with Kingsley then

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

True but this is the BAFTAs. And its not unusual of them to throw curveballs in certain categories.

I feel like The Dig would be more likely in Costumes because of the attention to detail with what the characters wear. I just can’t see Mank losing PD anywhere for the life of me

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But I feel like Morfydd Clark and Kingsley Ben-Adir has more fans because of their parts in Peaky Blinders and His Dark Materials bcause they’re both incredibly popular shows.

Hardly anyone remembers Morfydd Clark is in His Dark Materials and I don’t think that’s so indifferent a situation for Kingsley Ben-Adir.

I disagree. The film isn’t as widely seen as either His House or <i>Pieces of a Woman </i>but I know quite a lot of people who don’t care for awards shows and who are just the casual Netflix viewer who have seen the film. It’s not a film “no one” has heard of.

It’s not like <i>Calm with Horses </i>or County Lines which genuinely no one asides from cinephiles is aware of even existing.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think Costumes is a three way race between Mank, The Dig and Emma. I think Ma Rainey will win at the guilds and the Oscar because of the Ann Roth’s oldest winner narrative (She will tie with James Ivory).

Right now I’m predicting Mank to coattail from the Production Design win.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The problem I have predicting <i>Ma Rainey </i>in Costumes is I don’t know whether the film is that beloved to win every single one of its nominations here.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Ma Rainey’s is an interesting case at BAFTA. It can go 3/3, 2/3, 1/3 or 0/3 at BAFTA. I’m starting to feel 1/3 where Boseman wins but Costumes goes to Emma and Makeup goes to Pinocchio

#StopAsianHate

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.