Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 537 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
crabbie
  • Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

I don’t think a white woman will win Best Actress.

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

Considering Kosar Ali after hearing some people’s points in this thread. Anyone know where I can watch Rocks in the states?

It’s on Netflix.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Thank you. I’ll check it out.

Also, what’s up with The Oscar Expert picking Judas for Casting? Is that based in anything or is he being dumb?

Oscar winners Emerald Fennell Daniel Kaluuya and Youn Yuh-jung

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    Novic
    Topics:

I don’t think anybody knows what they are doing with casting lol. Last year Joker won and….I mean Joaquin Phoenix was great that’s all I can say about the casting lol. It’s so new we have no idea what the overall winner trend is.

I’m betting on Rocks just because it’s a big cast, very diverse, British, and immense support across the board. Promising Young Woman as a spoiler, if they want to throw Carey Mulligan some support in her casting.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m going PYW, but I’m not super confident

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The Oscar expert is choosing Judas for its casting of Kaluuya in Fred Hampton. I mean it’s great casting but it’s not the perfect casting since Fred Hampton was in his early 20’s but not all 20 year old actors can act as well as Kaluuya.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Is it insane to predict Morfydd Clark against Bukky Bakray for Rising Star? I have no idea how big both films were in the UK, that’s the thing. I’m from South America and I’ve hardly read someone talk about Rocks, while Saint Maud was heavily watched and discussed in my Twitter and Letterboxd, even more than One Night In Miami…

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I would imagine rising star is given to the British person with the most “British stans” since they can all vote for their stan in the rising star voting poll. Can the Brits on these forums chime in who’s the hip Brit rising star thats popular among the youth and general public lol

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

“Tuwaine” on instagram is Tom Holland’s best friend and has told his 101k followers to vote for Bukky Bakray for rising star on his instagram story which he posted 15 minutes ago. I’m going to predict her now.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

“Tuwaine” on instagram is Tom Holland’s best friend and has told his 101k followers to vote for Bukky Bakray for rising star on his instagram story which he posted 15 minutes ago. I’m going to predict her now.

Since you mentioned it I went to Instagram to check their followers and Clark has 4k and Bakray has 3k… that doesn’t help me at all lol. Maybe I’ll go with Ben-Adir? I don’t know

FYC

Best Actor: Mads Mikkelsen (Another Round)

Best Actress: Carey Mulligan (Promising Young Woman)

Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

I’ve gone for The Dig because whilst the costumes in Emma are flashy, I think we’re underestimating how much support this film has and in an open race like Costumes, that can help.

I do not know how much support it has when they snubbed it in cinematography.

general public doesn’t even know about rocks if that’s what you are asking unless they’re cinephiles ofc

Yeah, part of why I have Bukky Bakray last in Rising Star as such.

The makeup isn’t particularly flashy? It’s more like “put mud on these people on a dig”.

And make Carey Mulligan deathly pale because she is dying.

Pinocchio could be the Oscar frontrunner in this category instead of Ma Rainey and win but I don’t see a case for either of the other nominees. The Dig could be a sleeper in some of the technicals but it neither is as strong as The Favourite nor does it have as flashy makeup or hairstyling.

I am going with Mank now. I do not know how much BAFTA cares about Ma Rainey (or Hillbilly Elegy) and I doubt that many have seen Pinocchio, plus BAFTA has no history of going for creatures in this category like the Oscars do, not to mention that the win by The Favourite over Vice suggests that they are less keen on prosthetics in general. The Dig was such a sleepy and forgettable movie that I have a hard time seeing it win anything really. Mank might hit that sweet spot of being broadly seen and well-liked enough like Florence Foster Jenkins over showier competitors in Doctor Strange and Rogue One that lacked its prestige. Mank and Florence Foster Jenkins do not have the most impressive or memorable makeup, but they have that general period air about them.

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

Mank overperforming in the techs at BAFTA, the only place apart from SAG where it underperformed in nominations, would perfectly suit this chaotic year.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

There clearly hasn’t been a lot of support for Hillbilly Elegy, so I don’t think that’s happening

Mank and Ma Rainey’s underperformed here, so I would probably say no to both of those, but Ma Rainey’s over Mank

The Dig is just… no

Pinocchio has a well-known British makeup artist behind it and it is the most makeup. That’s how I narrowed it down

#StopAsianHate

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

One could say that you don’t need to watch Pinocchio, just a quick look at the pictures of it would be enough to vote.

But I’m skeptical because the last movie to win without any other nomination was the Grinch film with Jim Carrey, and that won the Oscar.

Ironically, the Grinch also got two other nominations at the Oscars. Pinocchio got Costume Design which would indicate support.

So if, Pinnochio does win here then I would be very confident to predict it at the Oscars.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

Ma Rainey in makeup looks pretty undeniable to me. It’s won at Critics Choice and won its 2 makeup awards at the guilds just like Bombshell.The costume guilds hasn’t happened yet so I don’t know if it will win there too. I have Ma Rainey in makeup and Mank  in costume.

Pinocchio was not long listed at costumes for the BAFTA it was long listed for visual effects but did not make it either.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 537 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.