Home Forums Movies BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

BAFTA 2021 Film Awards

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 551 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
George Ehret
Luca
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

BAFTA 2021 nominations will be announced on March 9.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

So the rising star list has been released two days after voting closed (voting closed on March 1st).

This is a very British list. Just to clarify people like Beanie Feldstein (who I predicted for this list) and Julia Garner were eligible but not picked. I will say I am quite shocked that Niamh Algar missed.

What this does tell us is that Rocks, Saint Maud, His House and County Lines are on the industry’s radar. We already know Rocks and Saint Maud were on the industry’s radar and I’m anticipating a tonne of nominations for the former. I think Kosar Ali will get in for supporting actress (ugh) and Sarah Gavron will get in for directing (yay). So really these rising star nominations are kind of good news for Bakray/Ali, Clarke/Ehle, Mosaku and Madekwe.

In the past when BAFTA has nominated critical faves/rising stars who are underdogs with momentum in Rising Star they tend to snub them in lead for a veteran or a performer ineligible for rising star who is in a British indie. Look at Jessie Buckley getting snubbed for Viola Davis or Florence Pugh getting snubbed for Annette Bening. So in a membership vote year this would not be great news for Morfydd Clark and Bukky Bakray (even though we’ve seen people get in for both the main acting categories and rising star before like Chalamet and Kaluuya). With a jury I don’t think them getting into rising star will particularly hamper their chances.

Who these nominations do help is Jessie Buckley and Wunmi Mosaku and especially the latter. I think she’s in. Her snub here is excusable because like Vanessa Kirby she’s a previous BAFTA winner so she was ineligible. I just get the feeling there is a lot of momentum behind her. She kind of ironically reminds me of Jessie Buckley last year. She is someone who rose in this industry through British television, has crossed over to America and started getting projects there (although not as many as Buckley because Buckley has something called privilege) and is now in an acclaimed film role. It’s not the fact that she’s a poc that makes me bullish about her chances but also the topicality and baitiness of the role. Her BIFA win shows she has industry support so I think she’s in.

So that would really leave Morfydd Clark, Bukky Bakray and Jessie Buckley fighting for that last spot. Or maybe all three get in and we see a big snub from one of Davis, Kirby, McDormand and Mulligan? I doubt it but all of Clark, Bakray and Mosaku getting in is something I wouldn’t put past BAFTA. What makes it difficult is that Morfydd Clark’s performance is one that juries traditionally tend to LOVE. It’s one of the showiest in this category. What makes it even more difficult is that I feel like at this point there may be a very big backlash if the Rocks actors are shut out. With this in mind I think Buckley is probably the one who is in the most danger out of the group of her, Clark and Bakray. She does have her own rising star narrative but it could look bad if she gets in over another person of colour again (like when she got in over Erivo last year).

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

A reminder to all the Brits on here that you can vote for the Rising Star Award on Baftas website

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

The one person I am utterly perplexed as to how they fit into this is Maria Bakalova. Her performance is quite a loud one and it’s a part where she gets to show off her comedic range but it feels like it would be such a populist choice for a jury that I imagine will teeter more towards prestige and snobbery.

Her Globe loss was something I considered as possibly hurting her but I don’t think it really will. Voting closed on Monday.

FYC Emmys: "The Crown" in all categories, "I May Destroy You" in all categories, "It's a Sin" in all categories, "Small Axe" in all categories, Billie Piper ("I Hate Suzie"), Yvonne Strahovski ("Stateless") and Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials")

Profile picture
    Sagand
    Topics:

The one person I am utterly perplexed as to how they fit into this is Maria Bakalova. Her performance is quite a loud one and it’s a part where she gets to show off her comedic range but it feels like it would be such a populist choice for a jury that I imagine will teeter more towards prestige and snobbery.

Her Globe loss was something I considered as possibly hurting her but I don’t think it really will. Voting closed on Monday.

I think she’s pretty safe, I look back to when Best British film used to be a solely Jury award (pre-2012), they liked to nominate a broad type of film. So yes that was partly underseen indies, and documentaries and foreign language that were unlikely to get a look in with the full membership but they’d also have films that were ‘too mainstream’ like Mamma Mia!, Shaun of the Dead or Bend it like Beckham. That Bakalova is giving a completely different type of performance to other longlisted performers is to her advantage I think.

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Ya I agree Bakalova seems safe with the jury.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Best Film is an interesting one. It’s a general membership voted upon category so we can gather what the BAFTA membership liked from the nominations. I have felt very confident about a lineup that is essentially the same as the Globes (The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Promising Young Woman over-performed massively on the long-lists) but I cannot keep ignoring how well The Mauritanian did on the long-list. It won’t make Best Picture at the Oscars (its bar is Actor and S. Actress) but I feel like it could I, Daniel Blake itself to a nomination? Or maybe it is this year’s The Two Popes and does well but misses Picture?

The question is if it does end up getting in what does it bump out? I think NomadlandThe Trial of the Chicago 7 and Promising Young Woman are all very safe here. Mank too? Maybe it is a potential spoiler to The Father? I feel like <i>The Father </i>will do very well here and probably better than The Mauritanian though.

1. Nomadland
    2. <i>The Trial of the Chicago 7</i>
    3. Promising Young Woman 
    4. Mank
    5. The Father

6. The Mauritanian
    7. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
    8. News of the World
    9. Da 5 Bloods
    10. Sound of Metal

11. One Night in Miami
    12. The White Tiger
    13. Another Round
    14. The Dig
    15. Soul

Profile picture
    Aimerarrow
    Topics:

Best Film is an interesting one. It’s a general membership voted upon category so we can gather what the BAFTA membership liked from the nominations. I have felt very confident about a lineup that is essentially the same as the Globes (The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Promising Young Woman over-performed massively on the long-lists) but I cannot keep ignoring how well The Mauritanian did on the long-list. It won’t make Best Picture at the Oscars (its bar is Actor and S. Actress) but I feel like it could I, Daniel Blake itself to a nomination? Or maybe it is this year’s The Two Popes and does well but misses Picture? The question is if it does end up getting in what does it bump out? I think Nomadland, The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Promising Young Woman are all very safe here. Mank too? Maybe it is a potential spoiler to The Father? I feel like <i>The Father </i>will do very well here and probably better than The Mauritanian though. 1. Nomadland 2. <i>The Trial of the Chicago 7</i> 3. Promising Young Woman 4. Mank 5. The Father 6. The Mauritanian 7. Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom 8. News of the World 9. Da 5 Bloods 10. Sound of Metal 11. One Night in Miami 12. The White Tiger 13. Another Round 14. The Dig 15. Soul

This is the easiest category to predict – all white films in contention just like the Golden Globes (I really like some of them though) but knowing BAFTA.. this is so obvious lol. The Mauritanian/News of the World can definitely take that 5th spot

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

This is the easiest category to predict – all white films in contention just like the Golden Globes (I really like some of them though) but knowing BAFTA.. this is so obvious lol. The Mauritanian/News of the World can definitely take that 5th spot

Yeah it feels obvious and it has felt like that this whole time but I keep wondering if The Mauritanian or News of the World could sneak in and snatch the 5th slot (Ma Rainey too as Netflix have been pushing for it hard here and it seems quite widely seen).

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

When did the voting start and when will it end?

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

March 4, 2021 at 1:35 am#1204081452

Coen

Nominations voting was 19th-1st

6th Place WGA 2021
    12th Place VES 2021
    61st Place BAFTA nominations 2021

Profile picture
    Alessandro Palumbo
    Topics:

Who are for you the 6 nominees for best actress at the BAFTA?

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Ended on 1st March

Who are for you the 6 nominees for best actress at the BAFTA?

Bukky Bakray, Viola Davis, Vanessa Kirby, Frances McDormand, Wunmi Mosaku, Carey Mulligan

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the noms are announced on Tuesday?

Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

Does anyone know when the noms are announced on Tuesday?

They usually announce pretty early in the morning.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 551 total)

The topic ‘BAFTA 2021 Film Awards’ is closed to new replies.